On Branding RoyTam1's Browsers

Mathwiz

You have to think though.. Names need to be able to be visually represented.. With what I suggest it not only follows a theme for those in the know.. It also stands on its own as basic concepts that can be represented easily.

Whistler, a mountain
Freestyle, some sort of abstracty glyph
Neptune, Blue planet or perhaps the God Neptune's trident
and Lonestar some sort of star likely akin to a sherrif's badge.. put it on an envelope or stamp or something..

That is what I was thinking.

Edited by Matt A. Tobin

16 minutes ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

You have to think though.. Names need to be able to be visually represented.. With what I suggest it not only follows a theme for those in the know.. It also stands on its own as basic concepts that can be represented easily.

Whistler, a mountain
Freestyle, some sort of abstracty glyph
Neptune, Blue planet or perhaps the God Neptune's trident
and Lonestar some sort of star likely akin to a sherrif's badge.. put it on an envelope or stamp or something..

That is what I was thinking.

I like this branding idea. The version names are linked to the codenames of supported Windows OS versions so it makes the things easier for those looking for which browser to use.

1 hour ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

Well.. I created an icon for the Whistler Branding which would be used on Pale Moon... It is based on a public domain photo of the actual whistler mountain.
<images pulled from quote to not clutter the thread>

Beauty!
I like this icon. :thumbup

And the orange you added later really complements it

Edited by i430VX

1 hour ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

Thank you.

Well I have been awake for about 24 hours. I'll do some thinking and conceptualizing when I next awake.. You guys let me know what you decide on the direction of the all this.

I'm all for your brands. Hope the others agree as well! ☺

Branding is hard work. You don't need just a name; you also need artwork, and you need to make sure your artwork doesn't tread on someone else's IP. I for one am glad @Matt A. Tobin is willing to do that work (and seems pretty good at it, too); it's not a field most of us have much skill at.

At one time I created an icon for Moebius (I spell it with the e so I don't need an umlaut on the o); I'll attach it here.

For Neptune, I'd go with the planet; plenty of public-domain Voyager images to choose from, and Neptune's trident might be too suggestive of the Devil for some folks :angel

moebius-triangle.ico

On 12/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, Mcinwwl said:

@dencorso For me it makes sense to make AT LEAST one separate topic for brandings, names and icons... and you know I think about splitting posts ;)

I tend to agree. Perhaps @dencorso can move the last few dozen posts about branding to their own thread?

Be careful, though; there are a few unrelated posts strewn among them!

Edited by dencorso
It's done! And I made *YOU* OP, so use your 1st post in the thread wisely!

11 hours ago, roytam1 said:

As I have no idea what name to use, I'd create a poll here and let people to choose use names that Tobin given, or a name by other forum member suggested

ROYFOX :)

ROY250.jpg

Edited by caliber

17 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

.. but methinks some of you all are far too trusting, too soon.

No. We ain't. Of course one cannot be sure about anything, that's how things work in life. But when one offers to back his requests with his own hard work (and recognized expertise) , I reckon it's wise to accept. 

16 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

So it is in my best interest to accomplish. If I do it then p*** off back to BinOC Land and never show up again.. You still have it. You have nothing to loose and I have things on the line by offering and agreeing. There is no downside.

And I do agree there's no downside, whatsoever, to it.

=======

On 12/16/2019 at 11:58 PM, Matt A. Tobin said:

I got some ideas for branding..

Pale Moon could be called Whistler after the Codename for Windows XP
Basilisk could be called Freestyle the Codename for Windows XP Media Center Edition because of the extra media features and Australis UI
Borealis could be called Neptune the Codename for a developmental predecessor of Windows XP
Interlink could be called Lonestar the Codename for Windows XP TabletPC Edition (writing, email, get it?)

These are all UXP based applications for Windows XP and there you go a theme for all your forks of them.

OH just call Basilisk 55, call it the codename for the repo.. Moebius/Mobius. Good name at any rate.

Well, I do like most of the proposals. However, Serpent 52 might as well become Moonshine, which sure has a bite, as serpents do. And, if so, the brand might be an alembic.

=======
Then again, to speed things up, the finished brandings might be sent to @roytam1 as pull requests to this current structures, so as to avoid having to decide on migrating build structures (or whatever that is called) at the same time the branding issue gets solved, at last.

4 hours ago, dencorso said:

And, if so, the brand might be an alembic.

Learned a new word today! Although in these parts, we still call it, uh, a still...

On 12/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, siria said:

Open page about:support, and look for the button or link to open the Profile folder.
In normal Mozilla browsers this contains everything of the current user profile.
All settings, bookmarks, history, extensions etc. (except in K-Meleon, which has more stuff shattered elsewhere)
Then step 1 level higher, there should be a file "profiles.ini" - right?
Make a backup copy of that whole folder and you're safe.
To be 100% sure, you could even copy the whole browser folder.

Now open "profiles.ini" in a text editor (notepad), and find this line:
StartWithLastProfile=1
"1" means "true" and means for the browser:
if several profiles exist, do NOT ask user at startup which he wants to use this time, just start with the last used profile.
You can change this to 0 (=false = not automatic) and restart the browser.
Now it should show the profile manager at startup with some options, incl. a button to "create" a new profile.
The new profile will not replace the current one, it will just be an additional one.
Am using myself multiple profiles for various reasons, find this very handy :-)

It's a bit belated, but I wanted to say thanks for that tip! It's finally given me a way to maintain multiple Firefox versions on the same PC, each with its own profile, without a kludge like setting up separate Windows users (and having to log out and back in) to access each version. Just make sure to include the intended FF version in the name of each profile you set up. Very useful when you want to test FF versions ranging from 45 through Quantum to "Firefox Browser" (or whatever the name of the week is). Even on XP, I now have FF 45 SSE, FF 52 ESR, and FF 53 (patched to run with XomPie) all coexisting in relative peace.

I doubt this post will be very popular, but it needs to be said, for better or worse.

It appears to me at this point that everyone is jumping on the renaming bandwagon, despite the fact that it doesn't seem to be an issue of any concern for roytam1, whose project this is, and who does virtually* all the work (*props to those who report bugs and help track issues). I'd like to remind everyone that roytam1 started this as an individual project for his own use, and was kind enough to share it with the rest of us. He has continued to provide "New Moon" along with various other additional utilities, including regular updates and fixes for each, on his own time and with no personal gain from it. He probably never thought it would become this popular, and probably never had any intention of creating an entirely separate "project," especially since he's doing it all by himself in his spare time.

And now what do we have.. everyone pushing for things to be changed, just to make nice with the selfsame people who have been so critical of his project and have done their best to cause trouble in the past? Wow, talk about peer pressure. I noted once before, quoting someone else, that those who keep pushing for the changes were in effect doing the work of those who sought to cause trouble. Honestly, I'm still inclined to see it that way. How does a name change actually benefit any single one of you (meaning actual users of the project) who's pushing for it? (Rhetorical question, I don't really expect answers.)

I will never understand the "peace at any price" mentality, no matter how many times I encounter it. But now it appears there will be "Peace in our time!" So be it.

@Matt A. Tobin , @Mathwiz , @dencorso , RT (obviously)
@VistaLover = Special Consultant (because not 'Branding' oriented)

I would suggest the above 'team' to work with Matt A. Tobin on BRANDING (RT).
With 'Mathwiz' being the 'main interface' with Matt A. Tobin.
'Mathwiz' did the 'PULLS' for RT Browser 'HELP Menus' to annoy Mr. Tobin LESS.

I do not see Matt A. Tobin as say:
"The Enemy of 'Old Boys' Who Insistent on using Windows XP OS"
Let 'us' (RT) move toward Matt A. Tobin, rather than away from him.

Added Later: I realize not everyone sees this as I do, but my viewpoint remains
as expressed above here. So, not likely to change my viewpoint as expressed this message.
I do not see any 'downside' to letting 'Mathwiz' and 'dencorso' see if they can improve matters
via working with 'Matt A. Tobin' on BRANDING. RT seems open to this on the basis that as long
as RT can keep compiling his RT Browsers with no problem, then okay enough for RT.
'Mathwiz' did already make things better via doing 'PULLS' to change the RT Browser
HELP menus to aim at more appropriate URLs (links).

Edited by TechnoRelic

10 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

I'd like to remind everyone that roytam1 started this as an individual project for his own use, and was kind enough to share it with the rest of us.... He probably never thought it would become this popular, and probably never had any intention of creating an entirely separate "project," especially since he's doing it all by himself in his spare time.

I noted once before, quoting someone else, that those who keep pushing for the changes were in effect doing the work of those who sought to cause trouble. Honestly, I'm still inclined to see it that way. How does a name change actually benefit any single one of you (meaning actual users of the project) who's pushing for it?

I will never understand the "peace at any price" mentality, no matter how many times I encounter it. But now it appears there will be "Peace in our time!" So be it.

Admittedly, there's zero benefit to me from new branding. At best, we'll get some spiffy new icons, and new artwork in Help / About, but the core functionality of our UXP-derived browsers isn't changing.

The difference I see is that this time, @Matt A. Tobin is offering to do a good portion of the necessary work. And I don't see that we're sacrificing anything; if we are, please enlighten me. I'd be much more dubious about this if I though we were losing anything concrete .