usb 2.0/mass storage/unkown pci usb issues

Ok so I'm in the middle of a windows 98se install on a dell 4500s. Previous attempts resulted in BSOD while configuring the system. I have set this all up before on a dell 8250 it took some time but I eventually got it all working. So I'll start off with what I've done so far. Using a 98se oem install disc I followed these instructions.

By default Windows does not install the cabs to the hardrive. I prefer to have them on any hardrive though. The way to do that is this. After your format boot to a command prompt with CDRom support using your boot disk.

cd \
md c:\windows
md c:\windows\options
md c:\windows\options\cabs

Insert your Windows CD

xcopy d:\*.* c:\windows\options\cabs\*.* /s

cd c:\windows\options\cabs
setup

information taken from https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-98-cab-files.23563/. so everything on my 98se disc is now in that folder which I really like. for anything that it would normally ask you to insert the 98 disc it just finds what it needs now without a dialog box. 

I next installed my chipset software. I ended up using the latest version I found that supported 98 and my chipset. 

I installed it with these instructions 

If you’ve downloaded the zip version, extract it and you’ll get the file name infinst_autol.exe. Instead of just running the setup file that you’ve just downloaded, you’ll need to run it with an extra command line -OVERALL switch. For example:

infinst_autol.exe -OVERALL

You will notice that the Intel Chipset software installs more INFs compared to just running the setup alone without the -OVERALL switch.
Read More: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/the-proper-way-to-fully-install-intel-chipset-driver/

information came from https://www.raymond.cc/blog/the-proper-way-to-fully-install-intel-chipset-driver/

from that point I installed my video, audio and ethernet drivers without any issue. I then installed the unofficial sp3.64. I didn't do this on the last build but on this one I was having a hard time getting a usb mouse and keyboard to work using the files I had set aside from the last build. the service pack included these and when I started the computer with my usb keyboard and mouse everything installed without issue. 

so now to my problem and why I'm not going further without help. I want usb 2.0 working and usb mass storage. I also have in device manager a PCI Universal Serial Bus that needs a driver. on that last build I installed a usb 2.0 controller then removed it from device manager along with all other usb devices and installed the mass storage driver. on this build it results in a bsod. I've read that I shouldn't install the 2.0 controller and that the mass storage one takes care of all of it. Don't know if that is true or not and I don't know that once installing anything if its going to fix that it says I need a driver in device manager. I'm just looking for someone to say what steps worked for them. If it matters to anyone this is an 845G chipset and the only external device that has to be hooked up other than a keyboard, mouse, monitor is a pci ethernet card. this motherboard has no onboard nic. 

thanks,

Rob 

You should install the unofficial NUSB package you will find referenced here. Version 3.3 will be fine; a 3.5 exists but is better left for specific cases.

NUSB provides a USB 2.0 driver AND a USB Storage driver. Note that if you attempt to remove USB2 controllers from the Device Manager in Normal Mode, you will get a BSOD. These should be removed in Safe Mode when necessary.

Now, if you are using the Unofficial Service Pack, it may provide these USB drivers as well. I am not familiar with what it includes as compared to NUSB.

i read down through all the updates and fixes for the service pack and I found mention of a usb 1.1 mass storage controller. I tried a flash drive and it didn't work. thats about all I know about that. So your saying I should restart in safe mode, remove everything usb from device manager and then install NUSB. I'll give it a shot. 

awesome. worked great. got my usb keyboard,mouse and flash drive working right now. now to the next step and another thread lol. by the way you said to install v3.3 so I found it and I did. the version I had on file here from the last build was actually 3.6. Thanks for the help.