Computer turned off when in BIOS

Dibya

I installed new power supply to my pc .

Here are specs,

Intel core i7 3770K

Kingston hyperx 8GB 1866MHz RAM X 2

Gigabyte GA-H61M-WW motherboard

I installed new power supply and processor . When I turn on computer it asked me to save bios settings to default and I did that . After that when I click power switch it , the fan spins for few seconds and then turn off. After that when I reset bios, I entered bios settings I was seeing if their any wrong settings , the system suddenly turns off in between while I was browsing bios settings.

Please have a look

https://ibb.co/HNQp3Sm
https://ibb.co/qNx1dcG

Edited by Tripredacus

5 minutes ago, LoneCrusader said:

I would think the system would throw an error beep or some type of notification if it's not connected; but - is the 4-pin CPU power connector to the upper left of the CPU connected? I can't make it out clearly in the picture.

Yes it is a 4pin power connector

Edit :

Sorry for my messed up cables .

I am sorry .

Edited by Dibya

Just now, dencorso said:

Update the BIOS to the latest available. You'll need a low end Sandy Bridge to do it, preferably an i3. Your issue is lack of BIOS support.

I have one spare G2020, the board support that chip .

I will update the bios and inform back.

40 minutes ago, Dibya said:

Yes it is a 4pin power connector

Edit :

Sorry for my messed up cables .

I am sorry .

No problem. I just couldn't see if it was connected. Since one appears to be loose looks it looks like the power supply provides double 4 pin connectors which are required on higher-end motherboards like the X79/X99/X299 and probably others.

Dibya, you've been a member here long enough to know to create better topic titles, and put topics in the correct sections. Renamed and moved.

Not having the 4 pin connected won't allow the system to even get to the input stage. Having to reset BIOS default on a new CPU install is normal. The system powering off while in setup is not normal. I would check for grounding issues. Make sure all of the screws are in the board, and no extra stuff floating around in the case. Also that the case is not touching anything conductive. Seems from the picture that it is on a floor on its side (unless that was just for a picture). If you are operating it in this way, you can put wood or a book under it.

14 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Dibya, you've been a member here long enough to know to create better topic titles, and put topics in the correct sections. Renamed and moved.

Not having the 4 pin connected won't allow the system to even get to the input stage. Having to reset BIOS default on a new CPU install is normal. The system powering off while in setup is not normal. I would check for grounding issues. Make sure all of the screws are in the board, and no extra stuff floating around in the case. Also that the case is not touching anything conductive. Seems from the picture that it is on a floor on its side (unless that was just for a picture). If you are operating it in this way, you can put wood or a book under it.

Actually I kept it on floor for taking picture.

I will put another cpu , if the issue persist I will check the PSU .

Reapplied thermal paste and it is running flawlessly

Edit :

Moral of the story , don't cut cost on thermal compound ,

I used Artic MX-4 as it is safe for PCB as it doesn't conduct electricity

Edited by Dibya

Update : same symptom return after windows 7 installation has finished

Edit : I am quite sure this Power supply is failing to give enough power .

Edited by Dibya

• 2 weeks later...