[Tutorial] How to install .Net Framework 4.8 on Windows Vista

WinFX

Today I managed to install .NET Framework 4.8 on my VM with Windows Vista Home Basic x64, how did I do it?

First to install it use the method previously used with the .NET Framework 4.6.2 and 4.7.x; nothing more than this time the procedure is longer since when starting any application designed for .NET Framework 4.x in Vista an error dialog appears for lack of instructions in kernel32.dll and ole32.dll respectively.
In HxD edit the clr.dll file that was the library that calls those instructions, replace clr.dll with the edited version and, surprise!

NET Framework 4.8 is compatible with Windows Vista!

Even create a small application with Visual Studio in Windows 7 to see if it worked at all and NET Framework 4.8 works correctly in Vista.

Instructions for installing NET Framework 4.8 on Vista (you need to have a minimum .NET Framework 4.6.1 installed)

1. With the method of previous versions on this page: https://msfn.org/board/topic/178673-tutorial-how-to-install-net-framework-472-on-windows-vista/

2. After finishing the installation, replace clr.dll in "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319" and "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319" with the versions in the zip file

3. Do regsvr32 if necessary

4. Restart your Windows Vista

5. NET Framework 4.8 in Windows Vista!

Link to download the parch: Download

Edited by WinFX

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/2/2019 at 9:13 PM, WinFX said:

Today I managed to install .NET Framework 4.8 on my VM with Windows Vista Home Basic x64, how did I do it?

First to install it use the method previously used with the .NET Framework 4.6.2 and 4.7.x; nothing more than this time the procedure is longer since when starting any application designed for .NET Framework 4.x in Vista an error dialog appears for lack of instructions in kernel32.dll and ole32.dll respectively.
In HxD edit the clr.dll file that was the library that calls those instructions, replace clr.dll with the edited version and, surprise!

NET Framework 4.8 is compatible with Windows Vista!

Even create a small application with Visual Studio in Windows 7 to see if it worked at all and NET Framework 4.8 works correctly in Vista.

Instructions for installing NET Framework 4.8 on Vista (you need to have a minimum .NET Framework 4.6.1 installed)

1. With the method of previous versions on this page: https://msfn.org/board/topic/178673-tutorial-how-to-install-net-framework-472-on-windows-vista/

2. After finishing the installation, replace clr.dll in "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319" and "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319" with the versions in the zip file

3. Do regsvr32 if necessary

4. Restart your Windows Vista

5. NET Framework 4.8 in Windows Vista!

Link to download the parch: Download

with this paint.net 4.0 not start. can you try fix it? please try start paint.net 4.0 - 4.0.3

5 hours ago, sir said:

with this paint.net 4.0 not start. can you try fix it? please try start paint.net 4.0 - 4.0.3

Welcome to MSFN sir. You are not the first to hope that the only obstacle to running Paint.NET on Vista was its .NET requirement. In May 2019 there was some discussion of Paint.NET in another thread beginning here and ending with WinClient5270's May 19 post.

• 3 years later...

When I try to do step 1 for .NET Framework 4.8, I get an error during installation. Here is part of a log referring to the error:

C:\2a05c1a92f925cf307816e\netfx_Full_x64.msi Signature could not be verified for netfx_Full_x64.msi

No FileHash provided. Cannot perform FileHash verification for netfx_Full_x64.msi
File netfx_Full_x64.msi (C:\2a05c1a92f925cf307816e\netfx_Full_x64.msi), failed authentication. (Error = -2146869232). It is recommended that you delete this file and retry setup again.

I believe the log is referring to the fact that .NET Framework installers are nowadays signed with SHA-2. I would not recommend installing .NET 4.7 or 4.8 on Vista in any case, but you could always install SHA-2 support via Server 2008 updates if you are determined to proceed anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, Cockatiel said:

BTW I won't recommend you to install .NET Framework 4.8 as it breaks PowerShell 3.0

Powershell 3.0 can't be installed on vista. It only supports Server 2008/Win7+.

2 hours ago, Vista4Life said:

Powershell 3.0 can't be installed on vista. It only supports Server 2008/Win7+.

Yes it can ve installed on Vista. Use search button here on MSFN. I have posted script to do it.

Edited by George King