blackscreen instagram firefox 52.9 ESR windows xp

Josept

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I assume you mean Firefox 52.9 ESR.
Do YouTube and Facebook videos work, or is the problem just with Instagram?
If not, see here.
:)

yes is Firefox 52.9 ESR, only the problem is in instagram

I'm not sure that the OP's problem is the same as that one which I originally reported though.
I wasn't seeing the Instagram videos at all, although still images were fine.
It turned out that the videos' containers were collapsed to a single line.
The OP seems to be saying that the containers are visible, but are just filled with black, which sounded more like not having html5/h264 video support in the browser.
In that case Facebook and YouTube videos shouldn't work either as I believe that the Flash fallback has now been removed.

You may be right; unlike @roytam1's browsers, stock FF 52 ESR requires something extra, like Adobe Primetime, to decode h.264 videos on XP.

But the OP said the problem was only in Instagram. If Facebook/YouTube are working it sounds like he's over the h.264 hurdle already.

So, IDK; we'll see what he says, I guess....

• 2 years later...

I am not surprised. I don't think Windows XP is powerful enough to let you run professional videos on Instagram. To be more precise, I think the video doesn't work on your computer because your computer doesn't support such formats. Well, it happens, I was also unable to write posts on Instagram from my computer, and I had to use the megafamous.com tool to space out Instagram captions and write good texts. The best thing you can do right now is to update your Windows. Moreover, you can get Windows ten for free today.

Edited by LydiaBrady

Firefox 52.9 ESR can be made to support HTML5 video though.
There's a whole thread here devoted to it.
It's worked fine for me on Instagram (and Facebook and YouTube) for a very long time.
My issues with IG have always been formatting problems, like at the moment the IG videos that are single videos are collapsed to a single line again.
Carousel videos appear as white spaces.
There's another thread here about that!
It's not a codec problem though.
Welcome to MSFN BTW!
:hello:

4 hours ago, LydiaBrady said:

professional videos on Instagram

You're joking , right ? Please define "proffesional". 

Instagram has always had terribly compressed pictures and videos, like from the early 2000s. 156kb jpeg photo in 2022 , lol . Or 720p mp4 ? Wow . We are stunned.

Even Twitter doesn't compress the media that much.

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

My issues with IG

Dave , did you try to change the IP? All of my problems usually go away if I switch to another IP from a certain country that instagram loves.

Some time ago I created a topic with the solution.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183282-instagram-communist-coutries-are-in-favour-help-to-get-clean-ranges-of-communist-ips/?do=findComment&comment=1211198

Thanks for the suggestion as always, but the videos are not blocked.
They are fine on 360Chrome 13.5.
What happens, and it's happened a couple of times before, is that IG change something in their code which breaks the display of videos in Firefox 52.9 only.
Still images are always fine.
I've been using a custom userContent.css file to work around this (with the help of others here of course!) but it only works until they change the code.
At the moment it contains -

@-moz-document domain(instagram.com) {
   div._97aPb > div { display: block !important; }
   div._97aPb > div > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div > div { display: block !important; }
}

This has worked fine for many months, but it's now broken again.
The div._97aPb and div.Igw0E parameters need to be changed for the new ones, but looking at the code with the inspector, there are so many different ones that I don't know where to start!
Of course I can just use 360Chrome, but it is annoying!
:angry:

On 6/10/2022 at 1:15 AM, Dave-H said:

Of course I can just use 360Chrome, but it is annoying!

Enjoy it while you can , soon to be "outdated" too , just like that firefox. I gave up on a "normal" instagram web browsing because of the IP torture and other "forbidden" stuff/login crap and now use this website without logging in. I can't assist you further because to watch the videos I need to login , and I can't because they blocked my account , unless I send them a video with me holding a yellow star.

https://inflact.com/profiles/instagram-viewer/

https://inflact.com/tools/stories-viewer/

• Dave-H changed the title to blackscreen instagram firefox 52.9 ESR windows xp
  • 1 month later...

Quite a large number of Instagram problems related to various functions are caused by problems on the server side of the social network. In such a situation, you can only visit a unique resource on the Internet to view the website and mobile application status. If the signature "No failure" is displayed and the "Last 24 hours" schedule is more or less smooth, you can immediately move on to other solutions. Otherwise, wait for some time before restoring performance, simultaneously studying other users' comments on the site in question, or contact support. If you need more followers on Instagram, you can also use Famoid to get more popularity.

Edited by quenit