Two Questions About Diyba 128GB PAE Patch

HoppaLong

7 minutes ago, caliber said:

Yes it's black but it only lasts half a second. :angry:

Imagine that it wants some parameters on command line.

How would you pass them to it?

You know like *any* command line tool that expects parameters you could open a command prompt, navigate to the directorywhere the .exe is and then type on the command line the name of the .exe, in this case WINXPPAE,EXE and press [ENTER].

Maybe then it won't close in half a second ...

jaclaz

25 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

You know like *any* command line tool that expects parameters you could open a command prompt, navigate to the directorywhere the .exe is and then type on the command line the name of the .exe, in this case WINXPPAE,EXE and press [ENTER].

OK thanks. the command window is open what's the next step now ?

have you already tested this patch by yourself ?

if I ever get a BSOD on startup right after XP logon may I switch over to another boot ini ?

this is the advantage of the russian made patch over the @Dibya one, I have no need to reinstall XP nor replace hal-kernel files

Edited by caliber

@caliber, I say this with sincerity and kindness, but I think it might be best if you just leave this alone and stick with XP as it is for now. I don't think you are quite ready to try to use any of the PAE patches or make any other complicated changes to the OS yet. I'm not trying to insult you in any way, but you probably need to do a lot of reading and experimenting on a smaller scale for a while before you tackle anything of this magnitude. You need to learn how to execute command line programs, etc. When you previously pointed out the use of the Russian patch I thought you were further along, but now it seems you are currently only at the "point and click" level, so if, or when, you get into trouble you will have no way to get yourself out of it. If I have misunderstood your level of expertise I apologize, but that is how you are coming across. It's nothing to be ashamed of, we all started that way, but I think you need to do some reading. @Dibyais young and was fairly recently at your level himself (he knows how I respect how much he has learned and progressed in a relatively short time) so he might be able to give you some pointers.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

18 hours ago, bphlpt said:

@caliber I don't think you are quite ready to try to use any of the PAE patches

if you want to help others do it otherwise get a life and move on if you bring nothing to this thread.

I was unaware that the PAE patch was made by geek minds for nerds only.....

Edited by caliber

3 hours ago, caliber said:

I was unaware that the PAE patch was made by geek minds for nerds only.....

Most of the contents of the Older Windows NT-Family OSes and Windows 9x/ME forums are actually made by geek minds for nerds only... :D

@dibya

Isn't this the second (or maybe third) Christmas that you create some expectations for something that you never delivered? :unsure:

@caliber

OK.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

You now have a black window open and you have a command prompt in the form of a line, probably *like*:

C:\Documents and Settings\username>_

with the underscore flashing, right?

Now you should know where exactly you have extracted the file, you can use windows explorer to get the right path.

Let's say the file is in D:\IronPortable\Download\WinXPPAE.exe

At the prompt (in the command promp window) you type:

cd /d D:\IronPortable\download

and press [ENTER].

Please note that if for any reason the path has one or more spaces in it, you need to enclose it in double quotes, example:

cd /d "D:\Path with spaces\download"

Now the prompt has changed to the path you just typed.

Verify that it is the right place:

DIR WinXPPAE.exe

and press [ENTER]

it should show you the file, its date and time.

Now type:

WinXPPAE.EXE

and press [ENTER]

You should see the following:

Windows XP PAE Patcher 2.0 by Daniel Kawakami | HAL patches by <Mov AX, 0xDEAD>

Usage: winxppae [/4GB | /ALL | /NB or /NOBACKUP]

/4GB        Enables PAE limiting RAM to 4Gb to avoid stability issues.
/ALL        Enables PAE with unlimited RAM, may have stability issues.
/NB         Does not create backup copies of original files.
/NOBACKUP   Same as /NB

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Several months ago I decided to save the Desktop I built for XP. After upgrading most of
the components it seemed logical to improve the operating system, if I could. That why
I started this thread about PAE patching.

bphlpt, I found that magnet link. Thanks for your guidance.

I stopped downloading torrents years ago, so my torrent clients are ancient. I just read an
article about torrent magnets. Seems like an improvement over the old torrents.

I downloaded PicoTorrent because it's simple.

I read all the replies to my original post. I'm going to try one of these PAE patches. I've got
numerous system backups, so I have to stop worrying about which PAE patch is the safest.

Dibya, there are many positive articles on other sites about your PAE patch. People who
have tried it like the results.

I have several hardware and software cleanup procedures to perform before I apply the PAE
patch. I'll return to this thread with the results.

12 minutes ago, caliber said:

I just wanted to know what I have to type once the black windows is open.

It depends on what you want it to do:

Windows XP PAE Patcher 2.0 by Daniel Kawakami | HAL patches by <Mov AX, 0xDEAD>

Usage: winxppae [/4GB | /ALL | /NB or /NOBACKUP]

/NOBACKUP   Same as /NB

The options available are:

/NOBACKUP   Same as /NB

So, if you type:

winxppae.exe /4GB

[ENTER]

you will have the needed files patched to support a maximum of 4 GB AND a backup of them (before the patch is applied)

if you type:

winxppae.exe /ALL

[ENTER]

you will have the needed files patched to support unlimited RAM AND a backup of them (before the patch is applied)

if you add after EITHER the /4GB OR the /ALL the /NB or /NOBACKUP (DO NOT do this) switch, you will have NOT the backup.

jaclaz

Just a quick aside.
IIRC there was some problem with running 16 bit programs in some boot configurations of XP.
Will they still run if a PAE patch is applied?
Asking for a friend.
(No not really, I do actually have a couple of 16 bit programs that I use! :lol:)

I don't think anybody really knows for sure. All those PAE patches are still *very* experimental, so there are scanty reports of their use and no serious, intensive, test of them in day-to-day use. In my experience, if one can see 3 GiB or a little more than that, XP SP4 updated to the last POSReady updates will run smoothly in day-to-day use and run OK any Office (from 97 to 2007), graphic processing programs like Irfan View, LView Pro, Pic win Pro, @roytam1's browsers, 360chrome, Origin 7.0, MPC-HC, Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 together with the last  MSE, and many system diagnostic and optimization utilities, among other software, for months on end, without requiring a single reboot, and even with no pagefile, although I favor using the Gavotte Ramdisk (using RAM above 4 GiB) for a pagefile, TEMP and the temporary internet files from every broswer. My 2¢ only but, then, you sort of asked for them, right? :unsure: 

Of course, were I to ever use the PAE patch, I'd go to @daniel_k's and MOV AX, 0xDEAD's one, which I trust hands down. :)

Thanks Den!
I guess I'll wait a bit longer.
As you say, XP runs fine with only 3GB or so of RAM usable, and unless you want to run resource intensive games on it or whatever, there is probably no real reason to need be able to access more memory anyway.
:)