1. Place contents of the "For System32 folder
into C:\WINDOWS\system32; Replace .exe and .dll
files in System32

2. Enter "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers", copy contents
of "For Drivers" folder (all .sys files) to the dictionary

3. Enabling PAE
Click the start menu, then run (alternatively
pressing win + r). Type "C:\boot.ini" then add
"\PAE" at the very end of the last line of text.
SAVE the file!

4. Reboot and enjoy up to 128gb of ram on your
Windows XP installation ;)

I understand the instructions, except for the word "dictionary." Is the patch author
using the word "dictionary" because of this definition for the SYS file extension?

"SYS is a file extension for system file device driver or hardware configuration file
format used by Microsoft Windows. A SYS file also houses system settings and variables
for the drivers that enable Windows to talk to your hardware and devices."

The patch download is actually two 7z archives:

1. WinXP128GB_PAE_PATCH_Dibya.7z
2. Windows_XP_128GB_double_pae_addon_final_byDibya.7z

Number 2 is found inside number 1. Do I extract everything in both archives? I'm confused.

Edited by HoppaLong

Here's a side advice for OP: In my opinion it is better for you to use this small patching utility called simply "WINXPPAE", made by daniel_k (same guy behind the modded creative drivers and behind the effort to get XP to run on modern systems by ACPI.sys modding).

One is that compared to other PAE patches it manages to replicate the same PAE behavior (almost if not exact) like in Server 2003 (thus no need for the /PAE switch in boot.ini, since due to how it's patched properly ntoskrnl.exe automatically chainloads it's own PAE equivalent - ntkrnlpa.exe). Second is that it allows you not only to patch the files to enable PAE with unlimited RAM, but also to patch the files to enable PAE but with the 4GB limit (results: RAM should be mapped more efficiently, thus more RAM is available AND due to the 4GB limit it avoids stability issues). Recommend checking it out.

Edited by IntMD

jaclaz, I was completely fooled by that "dictionary" error! Let me explain why.

As a boy I learned electronics from several books by British authors. Instead of saying
"transistor" they used the word "valve." There were many other technical words and
expressions used by the British, but not commonly used in the USA.

When I saw the word "dictionary" I assumed the author was from Europe. Obviously,
I did not know he meant to type "directory."

IntMD, that tiny patch (64K) from daniel_k is remarkable!

After reading about the Diyba patch, I was very concerned about system instability.
I've got many full system backups, but no one wants an unstable operating system.

Two questions about the WinXPPAE patch from daniel_k.

The best way to install this patch is to enable PAE limiting to 4GB.

Command line would be -> WINXPPAE /4GB

If I installed 12 gigs of RAM with PAE limiting enabled, will I see the correct number
(12 GB) under System Properties -> General Tab?

System File Protection will restore the original files, unless something is done to stop
that process. daniel_k says to integrate all the files on a CD. I don't understand. Just
burning files to a CD won't fix the problem. What is the best method for installing the
altered files, so they won't be overwritten by System File Protection?

On 11/19/2019 at 2:25 PM, IntMD said:

Here's a side advice for OP: In my opinion it is better for you to use this small patching utility called simply "WINXPPAE", made by daniel_k (same guy behind the modded creative drivers and behind the effort to get XP to run on modern systems by ACPI.sys modding).

will give a try to that patch which I was unaware of

If you want another user friendly patch, the following one with a single click it's done.

the best thing is that is doesn't ''destroy'' your system files so you can quickly uninstall it in case your system doesn't run properly.

screenshot.4.png

Edited by caliber

On 11/20/2019 at 1:21 AM, HoppaLong said:

The best way to install this patch is to enable PAE limiting to 4GB.

Command line would be -> WINXPPAE /4GB

If I installed 12 gigs of RAM with PAE limiting enabled, will I see the correct number
(12 GB) under System Properties -> General Tab?

If you want the full 12 gigabytes, and acknowledging any stability issues that it may cause. You have to copy ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe and hal.dll from the system32 folder in the windows install to the folder with the patcher, run "WINXPPAE /ALL" and overwrite the files. It is recommended to do that with a fully updated windows xp SP3 install.

On 11/20/2019 at 1:21 AM, HoppaLong said:

System File Protection will restore the original files, unless something is done to stop
that process. daniel_k says to integrate all the files on a CD. I don't understand. Just
burning files to a CD won't fix the problem. What is the best method for installing the

according to daniel_k: "You may test the files on a running system by replacing the files from another OS (otherwise File Protection will restore the files).",

for ex. boot into a live cd and replace the original files in system32 (and in the DllCache folder, that's where the windows file protection restores files from) with the modified ones by the patcher.

Edited by Tripredacus

14 hours ago, HoppaLong said:

For the Windows File Protection (WFP), go here:

https://www.win-raid.com/t5586f45-Windows-File-Protection-WFP.html

Edited by genieautravail
correction

caliber, the patch you listed is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted something that
would not require restoring my entire system from a backup if it failed.

You did not provide a link, so I googled the title:

Windows x86 (32bit) 4Gb-Fix (Up to 128GB) [ver. 0.0.0.48]

The search results listed a Russian site. I don't understand Russian.

Can you provide a link for the patch?

caliber, I've tried using every combination of words from that image you uploaded. Must have
performed three dozen Google searches. I cannot find a link for that app.

I typed this sentence into Google:

"All 32-bit editions of Windows starting with Windows 2000 are limited to 4GB is not because of any
technical constraint on 32-bit operating systems."

The name Geoff Chappell appeared in several of the Google search results.

If you've got the app without a link please upload it somewhere so I can download it.

Thanks caliber.

7 hours ago, HoppaLong said:

caliber, the patch you listed is exactly what I was looking for....
The search results listed a Russian site. I don't understand Russian.

Can you provide a link for the patch?

At the very bottom of the first post of the thread at the Russian site, do you see "4.9MB" followed by a "U" then a ~40 character alphanumeric string? That is a torrent magnet link. Assuming you know how to download with a torrent client using a magnet link(*), then you should be able to get the file from there. The link works, is well seeded, and downloads quickly.

Cheers and Regards

(*) If you don't, you really need to learn how to do this. You are bound to need this in the future, so it is a VERY easy and good skill and tool to have in your toolbox.

@HoppaLong

Please read the following article, see section Method 3: Reconfigure the boot.ini:
http://www.vernalex.com/guides/sysprep/hal.shtml

Doing this way you don't need to replace any files (like the other tool posted by caliber), simply choose a boot entry.
Unfortunately, don't have much time to thoroughly explain certain things. I'm usually messing with the complicated stuff.

My patcher shouldn't have issues with USB2 and definitively works with KMDF drivers (from VIA and Fresco Logic).
Be warned that some badly written drivers may cause issues with PAE enabled.

PS: Just check that russian patcher, it is just an automated installer for Dibya's patch and has the same issues.

6 minutes ago, daniel_k said:

@HoppaLong

Please read the following article, see section Method 3: Reconfigure the boot.ini:
http://www.vernalex.com/guides/sysprep/hal.shtml

Doing this way you don't need to replace any files (like the other tool posted by caliber), simply choose a boot entry.
Unfortunately, don't have much time to thoroughly explain certain things. I'm usually messing with the complicated stuff.

My patcher shouldn't have issues with USB2 and definitively works with KMDF drivers (from VIA and Fresco Logic).
Be warned that some badly written drivers may cause issues with PAE enabled.

PS: Just check that russian patcher, it is just an automated installer for Dibya's patch and has the same issues.

That Russian fix128 thing breaks usb surf sticks and printer and few other .

Mine doesn't because it backports DMA buffer logic from windows XP sp1.

Original inventor of pae64 patch is one of my friend from a gaming forum. I still have source so I can build a automated patcher but since no one is interested before so I never ported it .

I did experiment but it never released a complete version.

Problem with fix128 urged me to make my own patch . I don't know if they fixed their old bug's

Edited by Dibya

1 hour ago, daniel_k said:

what is necessary to get it to work ?

when I click on the patcher a window shows up but it goes away instantly

screenshot.5.png

20 minutes ago, caliber said:

when I click on the patcher a window shows up but it goes away instantly

Is it a black window?

You know, like when you are trying to run a command line excutable that needs parameters by double clicking on it? :whistle:

jaclaz