Programs with inno installer refuse to install

sukistackhouse

Windows embedded Posready 2009 is installed in a real hardware, and some apps which works before now show errors.

The Os is installed from the MS ISO trial, instalation minimal,  All the hotfixes was applied until april 2019 via WU

All netframework and Visualc++ installed

the system is fast and stable but Virtualbox 5.2.x cant start a Virtual machine show a stop error. same error is present in older versions

Software with inno installer refuse to install. P.e: Minitool Partition Wizard 11.5 (11.4 is ok), wondershare PDFElement 6.8.x, 7.x

I learn that inno 6.x is not compatible with xp anymore, i wonder what can do, maybe has a solution for these problems

other software that run excelent:

Audacity 2.3.3 RC03r

Potplayer 1.7.20538

Gom PLayer free 2.3.46.5308

Totald 1.5.8 and Mipony 3.0.5 blocking 2 IPs (ads)

zd screen recorder 11.2.1.0

Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool

cpu-z 1.90.1

Notepad++ 7.8.1

Telegram 1.8.15

Edited by sukistackhouse

21 hours ago, sukistackhouse said:

Software with inno installer refuse to install. P.e: Minitool Partition Wizard 11.5 (11.4 is ok), wondershare PDFElement 6.8.x, 7.x

I learn that inno 6.x is not compatible with xp anymore, i wonder what can do, maybe has a solution for these problems

Sadly, this is indeed true :( ; Inno Setup v6.0.x+ supports Vista (NT6.0 ?) and upwards... For such cases, I can recommend two CLI tools that allow the extraction of "Inno Setup" installers without running them... The latest versions of

innoextract (v1.8) and
innounp (v0.49)

can both extract up to v6.0.2 of IS; however, there are cases where these would not work (custom modifications of the official IS code and encrypted setups, configured to only install via a proper installation route); unfortunately, I have no way of knowing here (Vista SP2 32-bit) whether either CLI launch under XP...

So, you could use the last XP compatible setup of the app (to install in XP), (hopefully) use the unpacker to extract the binaries from the updated version of the (incompatible) installer and then do an in situ replacement (with the proviso the updated binaries are still XP compatible)... Kind of what is done currently by XPers wanting to update Java RE 8 past 8u152...

Personally, I'm using, when need be, innounp.exe with the following .cmd file:

@echo off
Title Inno Setup Extractor ©DVB Support
if "%~1"=="" goto next
set dir=%~dpn1
set file=%~dpnnx1
Goto innounp
:next
set dialog="about:<input type=file id=FILE><script>FILE.click();new ActiveXObject
set dialog=%dialog%('Scripting.FileSystemObject').GetStandardStream(1).WriteLine(FILE.value);
set dialog=%dialog%close();resizeTo(0,0);</script>"
for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%p in ('mshta.exe %dialog%') do (
set dir=%%~pp%%~np
set file=%%p
)
:innounp
"%~dp0\innounp.exe" -x -d"%dir%" -b -y "%file%"
if %errorLevel% == 0 (explorer.exe "%dir%") else (pause)
Edited by VistaLover
Fixed wrong link

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Just as an aside, Partition Wizard 11.5 installed fine for me on XP.

... Makes sense; the installer is of the Inno Setup v5.5.7 type; I downloaded and unpacked the installer for MTPW 11.5 Free via Universal Extractor 2, but I kept logs for the process; here's an excerpt:

2019-11-19 00:36:02:872    File size: 58.76 MB
2019-11-19 00:36:02:872    Output directory: D:\<snipped>\MiniTool Partition Wizard 11\pw11-free
2019-11-19 00:36:02:902    File seems to be executable
2019-11-19 00:36:02:902    Start file scan using Exeinfo PE
2019-11-19 00:36:06:651    pw11-free.exe       - Inno Setup Module 5 [SFX] - ver. (5.5.7) Borl.Delphi 2009 - www.innosetup.com  ,
Overlay : 7A6C62... Nothing discovered

2019-11-19 00:36:06:887    Testing Inno Setup
2019-11-19 00:36:07:131    Executing: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /d /c ""G:\PortableApps\UniExtract2Portable\App\UniExtract\bin\innounp.exe" "D:\<snipped>\MiniTool Partition Wizard 11\pw11-free.exe"
2019-11-19 00:36:07:557    ; Version detected: 5507 (Unicode)
Compression used: lzma2
Files: 248 ; Bytes: 168310920
Compiled Pascal script: 19175 byte(s)

... so I'm not sure what's awry in @sukistackhouse 's case... :dubbio:Might be the fact the installer is only SHA-2 code-signed (but then why would it work in @Dave-H 's XP system?) ...

ooFthHy.jpg

Edited by VistaLover

the installer run and install in W7 W8.1, but in windows XP show IS NOT A VALID W32 APPLICATION.
in this pc Im testing Posready 2009 (coreduo 3 ghz, 4 gb ram), I choose minimal install 770 mb installed after drivers and the Windows  Update until april 2019 included NFWs and Visualc included 2019. Maybe is missing some component
 Only virtualbox, minitool PW and WondensaharePdf has this issue.
Posready minimal install boots and perform fast and is stable i wiil try to find a solution.

Edited by sukistackhouse

It is always worth the five minutes it takes to try and change the major/minor OS in the executable.

A number of executables are perfectly fine running in XP BUT they are compiled with a "default" setting targeting 6 (Vista).

This results in the error "This is not a valid Win32 application".

Get CFF explorer:

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=388

Open with it the (copy of the) executable and select "Optional Header".

Then change:

MajorOperatingSystemVersion to 5
MinorOperatingSystemVersion to 1
MajorSubsystemVersion to 5
MinorSubsystemVersion to 1

and save.

No idea if this applies specifically to Inno Setup executables, though.

jaclaz 

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... CPU-Z wasn't causing any issues for @sukistackhouse , though... :rolleyes:

He's edited his first post since it was first posted.
I was pretty sure that Partition Wizard was in the list originally, and CPU-Z, and I thought it was a list of things that didn't work!
Partition Wizard has now been removed from the list.
Sorry if I misunderstood it!
:dubbio:

15 hours ago, sukistackhouse said:

the installer ran and installed in W7 & W8.1, but in Windows XP shows IS NOT A VALID W32 APPLICATION.

Are you talking about MiniTool Partition Wizard 11 Free (file pw11-free.exe) ?

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

A number of executables are perfectly fine running in XP BUT they are compiled with a "default" setting targeting 6 (Vista).
This results in the error "This is not a valid Win32 application".
(snipped)
No idea if this applies specifically to Inno Setup executables, though.

This doesn't seem to be the case with pw11-free.exe :

SPXlONX.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Remember that this is not XP, it is POSReady 2009.

... and, as stated, a "minimal" installation of it:

15 hours ago, sukistackhouse said:

I choose minimal install 770 MB

...which suggests some OS components have been omitted... :dubbio:

That one is an issue with the installer.

BUT get the portable version here, instead:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/portable-partition-magic.html

And discover that - notwithstanding what the guys say on their page - :

Works for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/7/Vista/XP 32-bit and 64-bit 

it won't work - at least here - on XP (Major/Minor are 5.1 just fine) throwing an error on missing entry point "GetLogicalProcessorInformation" in KERNEL32.DLL

Everything is normal (in this world), in a perfect world people would write good software, document it properly, respect other people's IP (and licenses, and time, and ... ), 

jaclaz