Windows 8.1 Updates keep failing

DeathBlow

For months I've been unable to successfully install updates (see attached [heavily compressed] screenshot). They're monthly roll-ups, so they render my laptop useless when applying whilst perpetually failing (15 mins trying to install after reboot, 15 mins reverting to login screen). I've tried the Windows update troubleshooter, which says it fixes "incorrect configuration" but will say that every time to no discernible benefit. I've tried manually installing from Microsoft's catalogue. SFC finds no corruption to fix; but there's one interesting thing I've spotted (see bodged path on below image for Teams, which installed itself in mid-August), but as you'll have seen I've had consistent failures since July:-

dvWtIZo.jpg

I really don't want to have to refresh my PC and lose 5 years worth of configuration, but I'm at a complete loss. I don't know if there's any log I can post that goes into further detail to help pin-point exactly why my updates are failing and what course of action I need to take (FWIW it's mostly throwing up the error code 800F0922, but occasionally I get 80246013 & 8007045B). Whether I should system restore to June and see if I can get it working or whether I should just try running the W10 installation tool that apparently still upgrades and successfully activates older Win versions. 

update.jpg

Edited by DeathBlow

On 11/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, DeathBlow said:

For months I've been unable to successfully install updates (see attached [heavily compressed] screenshot). They're monthly roll-ups, so they render my laptop useless when applying whilst perpetually failing (15 mins trying to install after reboot, 15 mins reverting to login screen). I've tried the Windows update troubleshooter, which says it fixes "incorrect configuration" but will say that every time to no discernible benefit. I've tried manually installing from Microsoft's catalogue. SFC finds no corruption to fix; but there's one interesting thing I've spotted (see bodged path on below image for Teams, which installed itself in mid-August), but as you'll have seen I've had consistent failures since July:-

dvWtIZo.jpg

I really don't want to have to refresh my PC and lose 5 years worth of configuration, but I'm at a complete loss. I don't know if there's any log I can post that goes into further detail to help pin-point exactly why my updates are failing and what course of action I need to take (FWIW it's mostly throwing up the error code 800F0922, but occasionally I get 80246013 & 8007045B). Whether I should system restore to June and see if I can get it working or whether I should just try running the W10 installation tool that apparently still upgrades and successfully activates older Win versions. 

update.jpg

i recommend not to upgrade to windows 10. You should restore your pc to factory settings and never update again. Updating windows 8.1 only result in added telemetry. Or search online for only true security updates. Keep the windows 8.1 market share visible.

On Τετάρτη, 20 Νοεμβρίου 2019 at 9:45 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

You should restore your pc to factory settings and never update again.

You must have at least Update 1 installed (it fixes a lot of plain Windows 8.1 bugs).

Edited by HarryTri

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 11:16 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

Yeah, so it's better to download iso from microsoft which have update 1 already installed.

the current Win8.1 ISOs have both Update 1 (KB2919355) and Update 3 (KB3000850) already integrated / slipstreamed.

also try installing fewer updates at a time (aim for less than 30 updates) - installing about 50 or more at the same time can lead to problems.

AND install the recent "rollup" updates last (and separately) and don't install them with the older 8.1 updates

Edited by erpdude8