Best browsers for Windows XP?

PretzelsFox

8 hours ago, caliber said:

''we're still trying to backport a recent version of Chromium and we're getting closer as days passes'' @FranceBB

Not really. I stopped working on that after my last attempt failed miserably. There's a post with screenshots here on MSFN somewhere. I spent way too many hours on Chromium. It's a far too big project with many parts that I don't really understand and since I don't fully get what they were trying to do and why some things were there that way, some of my implementations were actually wrong when I rewrote them. If you search for my last attempt here on MSFN you'll find out that I managed to get it running but it wasn't able to load any pages and the UI was broken. If you think that every time they add some commit many other things change we're never gonna get it working. That said, the last thing I want right now is to waste many other hours on this code, yelling at my computer for yet another thing that doesn't work. I can only say that I'm not currently working on it and I haven't even opened the solution explorer for months. Dibya isn't working on it and Samuel isn't working on it either. The other guy we shared the code with got stuck at the new vs old multi-threading implementation 'cause once he re-introduced the old multi-threading several things that are NOT documented broke (I.e they are documented, but they expect data in a completely different way and of course it doesn't say anything about it 'cause nobody expects someone to change a trivial modern Windows API to substitute it with some sort of dirty way to check and allocate workload that was used in the former implementation). We haven't heard from him ever since. The last compiled executable works fine on Windows 7 and above but on XP and Vista it doesn't. If we push our very latest code into it and we compile, then it doesn't work on ANY Windows Platform as it fails to load pages (although it does start a glitchy default Window which immediately crashes). This just enlightens the fact that there's something deeply wrong in our code since we broke modern Windows compatibility, but anyway we don't really want to have different routines inside our code for different Windows platforms.

In a nutshell: I'm not working on it, don't expect anything from me. I did my part, the code has always been open source and online, so if you wanna help the guy who took the project over from us, ask Dibya and Peter so they can make you talk with him, if he's still working on it of course (I have no idea what that guy is up to since I haven't heard from him for months and he doesn't reply on Skype anymore).

I'm sorry to delude you, but I guess that's it...

Edited by FranceBB
Typo

First, let me tell my configuration:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz (O/C'ed to 3.54? GHz)

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512 MB

RAM: 1.5 GB, DDR2 (runs at ¨440 MHz because one of the RAMs is 533 MHz and it won't overclock well)

Main browser: Serpent 55.0 

Pros: Works well on YouTube, can play 720p without lagging (thanks to GPU acceleration), can play videos on Twitter as well

Cons: Can't open Instagram (I don't use it so it's not important for me), needs user agent spoofing for some websites to open (like Whatsapp Web, but once you done it it will be saved) and when I install Ublock Origin it stops connecting to Internet so I use ABL (Adblock Latitude) from Basilisk Addons page

Second browser (when I want to do something requires some Chrome extensions or translation of a page): Extreme 360 Chrome (or whatever else)

Pros: Works like a new version of Chrome I use on my main PC, no problem on websites

Cons: As GPU acceleration is disabled for Windows XP on earlier versions of Chromium, it won't play videos well on a PC like mine, so I'm only using it for Discord and things I mentioned above.

Third (when I want some synchronization between Chrome on my main PC, my phone and the "Pentium 4" PC: Slimjet

Pros: Not so much, think it's like a Chrome 49 but it's based on Chrome 50, and it has a built-in adblocker

Cons: Same as Chrome 49 (no acceleration, website errors due to old XP libraries) (Use of ProxHTTPProxy helps it, but you know, why open another program while there are browsers doesn't require that)

Sorry if it's too long, but I wanted to share my experiences.

And an advice for Discord users: 

Right click on 360 Chrome Browser's executable, select "Create Shortcut" or "Send > Desktop (create shortcut)

Right click on the created shortcut, and add this line at the end of Target:

--app=discordapp.com/channels/@me

Click OK or Apply then exit.

So you'll have Discord in a browser window but without any buttons or address bar, just the title bar and you can see the website icon on the taskbar (just like the app!)

1 hour ago, DragonSC7601 said:

Main browser: Serpent 55.0 

Pros: Works well on YouTube, can play 720p without lagging (thanks to GPU acceleration), can play videos on Twitter as well

what is the real difference between the 52 and 55 ?

23 hours ago, caliber said:

what is the real difference between the 52 and 55?

It's covered in more detail at @roytam1's original (now locked) thread, but basically:

• MCP forked Basilisk 55 from an early alpha version of Firefox 53, then applied some commits from FF 54 and 55; hence the "55." At that point, MCP gave up development but @roytam1 picked it back up as Serpent 55. He occasionally posts a new version with updated security and other fixes.
  • MCP forked Basilisk 52 from FF 52.9 ESR and still maintains it. @roytam1 picked it up as Serpent 52 and typically applies their updates weekly. It has diverged slightly from MCP's Basilisk (mostly to retain features removed by MCP but still used by some folks here) but is still very similar to Basilisk.

Serpent 55 has slightly better compatibility with new "WebEx" add-ons than Serpent 52, because 55 was forked from a newer FF version. OTOH Serpent 52 has slightly better support for modern .CSS and .JS due to continuing work by MCP. But their "look and feel" is very similar.

Sorry; I should have said "extensions," not "add-ons." Themes don't rely on WebEx APIs, AFAIK.

Examples:

1. Serpent 55 runs the "Multi-Account Containers" extension; Serpent 52 does not.
  2. Serpent 55 supports somewhat newer versions of "Empty Cache Button" and "uBlock Origin" than Serpent 52.

Hi everyone. I'm the author of Chromium XP (version 76.0.3771.0). I couldn't register here when I started but FranceBB suggested I try again tonight so now I'm available on here. You can also find posts by me on the Tao Kaizen forum.

My post history on there -> https://browser.taokaizen.com/forum/search.php?author_id=848&sr=posts

On 11/27/2019 at 4:58 AM, DoaJC_Blogger said:

Hi everyone. I'm the author of Chromium XP (version 76.0.3771.0). I couldn't register here when I started but FranceBB suggested I try again tonight so now I'm available on here. You can also find posts by me on the Tao Kaizen forum.

My post history on there -> https://browser.taokaizen.com/forum/search.php?author_id=848&sr=posts

Just want to say thanks for this great browser that you made!

• 1 month later...

What are the main differences between basilisk/palemoon forks * from feodor2/roytam1?

* (Newmoon vs Mypal, Serpent vs Centaury)

As a user, after a short test I was not able to figure which of them fits better to me.  feodor forks have icon/logos and nice installer, but I would like to know the technical differences.

Edited by dapgo

10 hours ago, dapgo said:

What are the main differences between basilisk/palemoon forks * from feodor2/roytam1?

yo uso el Serpent porque te permite usar el multi proceso para que vaya más fluido sobretoso si abres muchas pestañas pero el 'chupacabra' chino los barre a todos.

luego habrá paginas en donde unos funcionan mejor que otros o que aceptan extensiones que otros no

5 hours ago, caliber said:

Yo uso el Serpent porque te permite usar el multi proceso para que vaya más fluido sobretoso si abres muchas pestañas pero el 'chupacabra' chino los barre a todos.

luego habrá paginas en donde unos funcionan mejor que otros o que aceptan extensiones que otros no

is 360Extreme Explorer the  chinnesse chupacabra ? ;)

Yo prefiero los derivados de firefox, para poder seguir usando algunos de los  maravillosos xul addons.

Gracias!!

• 3 weeks later...

Chrome 49 is all good and fast (setting user agent to pretend as Chrome 48 allows to use classic Youtube design);

Mozilla Firefox 47 is OK, at least compared to the next versions that are terribly slow;

Mypal (latest 28.8.2) is the best compared to the other XP-supporting browsers.

Edited by Comrade_Hajji

On 1/22/2020 at 12:37 AM, caliber said:

IMHO the Centaury (fork from basilisk) is unfairly unknown whereas its "brother" Mypal is much more well know.

Although Centaury receives less updates than roytam's Serpent, but it looks very professional and it runs stable.