Best browsers for Windows XP?

PretzelsFox

21 minutes ago, tailswave said:

New moon? you mean pale moon!

Also I think I've used that browser before, also I'm not 100% fans of chromium browsers since they can be quite ram heavy

New Moon is a Pale Moon fork ported to XP :p

On 11/12/2019 at 9:20 PM, tailswave said:

No, he's right: Pale Moon (28) is the official browser by Moonchild Productions that targets Win7+; the fork maintained by @roytam1 is a yet unbranded one, with the (interim) name being New Moon, that adds (restores) XP and Vista compatibility to the browser; over the course of development, Pale Moon and New Moon (and certainly Basilisk and Serpent) have diverged even further, beyond the initial point of New Moon being just "Pale Moon for XP"; also, you're kindly asked to refer to the fork as New Moon only, because using the official branding (Pale Moon) when actually meaning the fork tends to aggravate the upstream developers (who then make angry appearances here and lash out at the fork maintainer and users...).

I realise you're a new addition to the MSFN forums, I'd like to welcome you, too, but kindly advise you to get some facts straight first by reading existing threads...

Regards

Edited by VistaLover

15 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

... new sites that are primarily made for Chrome.

That isn't a problem only for users of older OSes; it's a problem for anyone who prefers a platform other than Google's Chromium!

Opera switched to Chromium long ago. Micro$oft switched from IE to Edge a little less long ago, but the "new" M$ Edge for Win 7/8.1? It's Chromium-based. It's gotten to where Chromium is the new IE monopoly! (But at least M$ wasn't using IE to spy on me or to dragoon me into helping train their AI.) I sometimes wonder if I should have a SSUAO for Google sites, claiming to be Chrome, just so Google's reCaptchas don't bug me quite so much, but then I remember I'd have to update the SSUAO almost as often as @looking4awayout updates the UOC Patch! ;)

7 hours ago, tailswave said:

No, he means New Moon, as the Pale Moon folks will angrily tell you if you ever make that innocent mistake on one of their forums. "Pale Moon" is only one of the browsers officially released by Moonchild Productions. Pale Moon does not run on OSes considered "obsolete," like XP or Vista, and woe to the poor soul that mentions XP or Vista on a Pale Moon forum. Anyone else's build is "New Moon" unless they develop their own branding (e.g., MyPal, Arctic Fox) for their own fork of Pale Moon.

Edit: Doggone it, @VistaLover beat me to it again! Foiled by a page break....

Edited by Mathwiz

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

That isn't a problem only for users of older OSes; it's a problem for anyone who prefers a platform other than Google's Chromium!

On modern operating systems, there is the only alternative in the form of Firefox, although it is also becoming more and more Chrome in order to remain compatible with sites.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:03 PM, caliber said:

does anyone know if this browser will ever been released? @Dibya

screenshot.4.png

Well, if you want a Chromium 69 based browser that is able to run on XP (and Vista!), we already have it by now: it's 360 Extreme Explorer by QiHoo ;) (11 version recently updated to build 2251, i.e. v11.0.2251.0, official site here).

19 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Well, if you want a Chromium 69 based browser that is able to run on XP (and Vista!), we already have it by now: it's 360 Extreme Explorer by QiHoo ;) (11 version recently updated to build 2251, i.e. v11.0.2251.0, official site here).

What ever happened to that effort to port stock chromium?