Hello

VoicesOfThePast

Hello. Glad to join this community.

As long time PC and Windows user I really hate to see how Microsoft turned the things to the worse with Windows 10 with their massive bloatware and their UWP platform.
I have long time reverse engineer experience, this is why in 2020, I am going to start my Windows 7 Extended Kernel project, inspired by similar projects done in the past. Can't wait to see how the things will turn out and support it as much as I can.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180601-windows-7-extended-kernel-x64-coming-2020/

Edited by VoicesOfThePast

First thing, hello and welcome :).

Then - if I may - I would like to ask you why (the heck) did you feel like starting the thread you linked to if you plan for your project to "take place" no earlier than January 2020 [1].

Did you fear that someone may have stolen the project name ( "Windows 7 Extended Kernel" doesn't sound like a particularly original name)?

What do you expect from members of the board?

To wait patiently at least a couple of months waiting for the project? (BTW is January 2020 "start of the project" or "projected release date"?)

To become "followers" of this project before the project is even started?

Something else?

jaclaz

[1] Full disclosure: I am an old and grumpy bastard, but I have seen tens of similar very ambitious projects being announced that never delivered anything or anything actually working.

I have seen a lot of hopeless users that do not want to change to Win 10, thinking of what they will do after Win 7 becomes unsupported. This is the first reason to announce this project early, so hopefully bring them a brink of hope for their beloved OS.

The second reason was a bit in heat of the moment, as I was working on Win 10 on a project of mine and the system would progressively become more sluggish until I restart it. There are also another rare bugs from Win 8 that are still unfixed, as explorer.exe could suddenly crash itself into oblivion until you restart it from Task Manager and many more ... So I decided I had enough and became determined that I will ressurect the last real OS once it's officially dead.

The project will begin in Jan 2020, after the final update has been released by Microsoft, since my project will involve a lot of system files modifications and I wouldn't want a sudden new update to overwrite them.

Edited by VoicesOfThePast

51 minutes ago, VoicesOfThePast said:

The project will begin in Jan 2020, after the final update has been released by Microsoft, since my project will involve a lot of system files modifications and I wouldn't want a sudden new update to overwrite them.

Well, with all due respect :), this doesn't sound a rational reason.

Making an extended kernel (presumably both in 32 bit and 64 bit flavours) is something that should take a few zillion "units" (of programmer's time, i.e. either a looong time by a single programmer or a short time by a multitude of programmers) whilst adapting (or even re-writing) the code because a new update changed something shoudl take a very little amount of units.

Anyway, we will see what will happen in two months time, IMHO, whether you are a lion or a gazelle you'd better start running:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/08/05/lion-gazelle/

jaclaz