Post EOL updated to Windows 7

Mcinwwl

For what its worth, I've been a member at MDL for many years, since 2010, so long I no longer remember if there was a hassle back when I signed up. I just wanted to say that I have NEVER gotten a single email from them for any reason whatsoever. With that experience, I wouldn't worry about getting spammed by them. also, AFAIK, there are many members from here that are also members there, so overall I trust them and their website.

41 minutes ago, bphlpt said:

I wouldn't worry about getting spammed by them. also, AFAIK, there are many members from here that are also members there, so overall I trust them and their website.

More subtle way of monetizing personal information are quite commonplace right now, so I second bphlpt ;)

On 11/12/2019 at 4:50 PM, prsa01 said:

Could someone please detail (or provide a link) to the process for doing updates via the update catalog for win7 (POSready) after the EOS?

When I go to the site and search on "POSready" or "windows 7 posready" and sort by date the updates are all quite old.

If I search on "embedded" I get entries similar to:

2019-10 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Embedded Standard 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4519976)

Will these types of updates work for a Win7 pro 64 bit with media center installed?

Thanks much!

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Windows+Embedded+Standard+7+2019

page 2

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

On 11/10/2019 at 9:42 AM, Mcinwwl said:

Yep, but I want that BUT without everything else that differs Win7 from Win8 ;)

On 11/13/2019 at 3:37 AM, Jody Thornton said:

OK - so BESIDES the Metro interface and the Start Screen and the lack of the Start Menu - because Classic Shell takes care of ALL OF THAT, Windows 7 and Windows 8 are nearly identical; they really are.  Moreso, I can put on an Aero-like Visual Style, that makes it sooooo Windows 7-like.

I just wish people would realize that  :)

Has anyone tried this method?

Enable The Classic Start Menu in Windows 8

How To Enable The Original Start Menu In Windows 8 / Disable Metro UI

I have to admit I never paid much attention to Windows 8 because of Metro. Microsoft should have included a way to toggle between Classic Desktop and Metro in Folder Options or at least educate users about the registry hack. It would have saved them and users a lot of aggravation.

• 1 year later...

I'm back! Had a pretty bad year and a half; check my profile for details....

Well, this thread didn't age well, did it? Sure, you can go to the M$ Update Catalog and download Win 7 POSReady updates, but it looks like they're the same updates as for plain ol' Win 7, so they won't install unless you pony up.... Nor will the Windows Server 2008 R2 updates; same story.

Apparently each update has a time-bomb in it, with different detonation dates depending on the exact version. (Not that it matters, but I'd guess they put the time-bomb code in the SHA-2 updates, without which Windows Update won't work at all, so there's no getting around it....)

But it's not so bad, right? Just pony up and M$ will sell you a key that pushes the detonation date out a year. And the first year, at least, is reasonable. The second year is more, but still not too bad. But here's the kicker: that's only for business "enterprise" versions! I can buy a key for my Win 7 Pro machine at work, but not for my Win 7 Home Premium machine at home! Heck, at this point I'd settle for a hack that makes my system look like Win 7 Pro, just so M$ would sell me a key....

Meanwhile @Jody Thornton is laughing his @$$ off at all of us, because he can just keep installing Windows Server 2012 updates on Win 8 until 2023. M$ didn't time-bomb Win 8, evidently.

On 1/1/2020 at 12:56 PM, bphlpt said:

I've been a member at MDL for many years, since 2010, so long I no longer remember if there was a hassle back when I signed up.

There may not have been any hassle in 2010. There certainly was at the end of 2019 though.

On 1/1/2020 at 12:56 PM, bphlpt said:

I have NEVER gotten a single email from them for any reason whatsoever.

Spam wouldn't necessarily come from them. That said, they may have impeccable privacy practices, but it doesn't matter - I've long since lost interest.

On 7/18/2021 at 11:45 PM, Mathwiz said:

I'm back! Had a pretty bad year and a half; check my profile for details....

Meanwhile @Jody Thornton is laughing his @$$ off at all of us, because he can just keep installing Windows Server 2012 updates on Win 8 until 2023. M$ didn't time-bomb Win 8, evidently.

Not so fast.  I like playing some locally installed Flash games (such as YetiSports), which utilize the integrated ActiveX Flash plugin.  If I install the July 2021 updates - it's bye bye Flash, so my updating days on Windows 8 may be ground to a halt.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:40 PM, Jody Thornton said:

Not so fast.  I like playing some locally installed Flash games (such as YetiSports), which utilize the integrated ActiveX Flash plugin.  If I install the July 2021 updates - it's bye bye Flash, so my updating days on Windows 8 may be ground to a halt.

The good news is, there should be a solution for Flash. Seems Adobe is still updating it for the China market.

The bad news is, Adobe cripples the Chinese version to only run in China. Plus it has all the government-mandated spyware....

But the other good news is, there's a GitHub project called Clean Flash that removes the region restrictions and spyware!

It's all discussed in this thread (at the XP forum, but it applies to newer Windows versions too; I'm running Flash 34.0.0.164 under Win 7):

Runs just fine in IE 11, as well as Chrome & Firefox (prior to the most recent few versions; see post for details). Edge appears to be hopeless though.

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2021 at 5:14 PM, Mathwiz said:

Runs just fine in IE 11, as well as Chrome & Firefox (prior to the most recent few versions; see post for details). Edge appears to be hopeless though.

MS Edge chromium dropped Adobe Flash support completely in early 2021

On 7/21/2021 at 4:40 AM, Jody Thornton said:

or you could simply use portable Flash 10 player
and download .swf from which ever web contains your game

no spyware
no need for integrated ax
and definitely no need for ***** IE

On 8/18/2022 at 12:01 PM, erpdude8 said:

MS Edge chromium dropped Adobe Flash support completely in early 2021

I get the "unsupported after Dec. 2020" banner as far back as Version 77.0.235.9 (Aug. 2019). M$ had already built a time bomb into Edge by then.