Post EOL updated to Windows 7

Mcinwwl

No need to. Windows Embedded POSReady 7 is directly compatible to common 7 (so no hack needed at all). And it reaches EoS at Oct 12, 2021... so almost two years more to go, although without WU/MU: one'll have to go to the MS Update Catalog to get the (one or two) rollups each month... no big deal, IMO, but, of course, there'll always be those who'll say it's a life-changing nuisance!.:P

Could someone please detail (or provide a link) to the process for doing updates via the update catalog for win7 (POSready) after the EOS?

When I go to the site and search on "POSready" or "windows 7 posready" and sort by date the updates are all quite old.

If I search on "embedded" I get entries similar to:

2019-10 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Embedded Standard 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4519976)

Will these types of updates work for a Win7 pro 64 bit with media center installed?

Thanks much!

Edited by prsa01

On 11/9/2019 at 5:42 PM, Mcinwwl said:

Yep, but I want that BUT without everything else that differs Win7 from Win8 ;)

OK - so BESIDES the Metro interface and the Start Screen and the lack of the Start Menu - because Classic Shell takes care of ALL OF THAT, Windows 7 and Windows 8 are nearly identical; they really are.  Moreso, I can put on an Aero-like Visual Style, that makes it sooooo Windows 7-like.

I just wish people would realize that  :)

On 11/12/2019 at 5:37 PM, Jody Thornton said:

OK - so BESIDES the Metro interface and the Start Screen and the lack of the Start Menu - because Classic Shell takes care of ALL OF THAT, Windows 7 and Windows 8 are nearly identical; they really are.  Moreso, I can put on an Aero-like Visual Style, that makes it sooooo Windows 7-like.

Well, when I'll get out of options, I'll consider that.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:37 AM, Jody Thornton said:

but miss of classic theme is still a big problem to me. forcing windows to use classic theme by using w8classic.exe will cause other applications look strange.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone discovered a way to enable Extended Security Updates on all machines running Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system.....

Users on the My Digital Life forum discovered a way to bypass the Extended Security Updates check. The bypass works with Microsoft's test update but it is unclear if it will also work with "real" updates that the company releases after the January 2020 Patch Day.

All that needs to be done currently is to download a small archive from the My Digital Life forum and extract it. The package includes two batch files that enable or disable the bypass on the system, executable files, and the source.

Basically, what happens behind the scene is that verification checks return true all the time through manipulation of these checks.

One interesting aspect of the hack is that it enables support for all Windows 7 editions, even those that Microsoft does not want to support after January 14, 2020. In other words: Windows 7 Home, Starter or Ultimate editions would be able to receive updates provided by the Extended Security Updates program when the bypass is installed.

The developers plan already to extend support to Windows Vista and to support the POSReady 7 SKU which will receive security updates until 2024.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/12/07/someone-found-a-way-to-bypass-windows-7-extended-security-updates-checks/

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

• 4 weeks later...

That's interesting, but....

1. GHacks didn't publish the hack; you have to get it from the My Digital Life forum. OK....
  2. You have to register at mydigitallife.net to get to the hack. That's still not so bad, but
  3. Mydigitallife.net bans all popular "masked" email domains. Sounds to me like they want to spam you (or sell your email address to someone who will), and they don't want to make it too easy for you to block their emails.
  4. They also require your birth date (including year) to sign up. I suppose I could lie about that one....
  5. Just to make things that much more annoying, they use a Google reCAPTCHA too....

Geez. I suppose I could create a new gmail account, use it to sign up, retrieve the hack, then delete the account, but what a hassle.

Instead, I'm gonna use my wife's gmail account; she gets plenty of spam already.

Aaand, after all that, apparently they didn't like the handle I was gonna use. ("Mathwiz" was taken.) Even after successfully completing the reCAPTCHA, twice, their #$%^@ system still thought I was a spambot and blocked my IP address! Ironic they're so paranoid about spam they don't even trust a reCAPTCHA to weed out the bots, but they won't let you use a masked email. Kind of a double standard, I'd say!

So, it's up to the rest of you.

I suppose I could try yet again from another PC, but registering for that site is just a ridiculous amount of trouble for a hack that does little but save me from going to the M$ Update Catalog once a month. They even seemed to not like my passwords because they were too random!

Besides, I'm sure this forum will soon have its own @Bersaglio who posts links to the new updates every Patch Tuesday.