Firefox File/Save Delay When Downloading

Jody Thornton

I posted this on the MozillaZine forum, and it only seems to happen with Firefox ESR v68, but there could be something Windows-related that I'm missing.  In which case, I thought I'd share my issue with you all.

I'm running Firefox ESR 68.2.0 x64 using Windows 8 x64.  This issue has happened ever since moving to v68.  It happens with no other applications on Windows, nor did it happen on ESR 60.

I proceed to save a file, and I'm going to perform one of two tasks before doing so:
(a) create a new folder for my download
(b) alter the "view" setting to list in the Download File/Save box.

So I click the download link, and the File/Save Box loads.  As soon as I press "New Folder", or try to right-click to bring up "view" settings, Firefox freezes (typically for about two minutes).  Eventually Firefox comes out of it's slumber and I may proceed to make the new folder, and finish my download.  Next time I try the same thing, it freezes again.

If I go to my Event Log in Windows, there is an Event ID 10010 and a DCOM timeout error for {3EEF301F-B596-4C0B-BD92-013BEAFCE793}, which I have since learned is the Desktop Undo Manager.  Now I've tried a new profile, reinstalling Firefox ESR, and turning on or off Hardware Acceleration - no difference.

**** One interesting thing of note ****
After awhile, I found that the problems went away if I tried changing a Hardware Acceleration setting on or off, or by changing profiles.  But as soon as I log off Windows or restart Windows, the problem returns again.

Any help is appreciated.  Let me know if I can provide any more information.

Just another note to add what I've been considering.... and that is Server 2012 updates.

All seemed fine prior to my installing all of the post-November 2017 updates last July.  Yes everything seemed to run quite well.  But perhaps Firefox has trouble with one of the new updates.  And I DID skip the Spectre/Meltdown month (was it March or Arpiil 2018 - who knows).  So I'm just throwing all that out there.  Maybe an update rollback is in my future.

:(

> So I click the download link, and the File/Save Box loads.

Is the desktop the default directory listed? If so, try changing the default to a non-standard user folder to avoid triggering the Desktop Undo Manager or disturbing networked links.

Recreate the delay while a process viewer that shows cpu usage is visible. Does the Firefox activity go up or down during the delay? (Is FF busy or waiting for the system.)

@jumper

I read that article before I came here and even followed the instructions on another one from Eight Forums that's very similar.  Thanks for helping out though.

In the meantime, just as a contingency plan, I've been trying out Pale Moon's latest build, and it seems I have no issues browsing the sites that I need to.  So I may just return to that.  I figured that after ESR 68 goes EOL next year, I'd want to switch out to something else.  I pretty much got ESR 68 working just like ESR 60, however I think it might be time to abandon Quantum.

Well, I have migrated to Pale Moon.  I never thought I'd do it again, but Pale Moon 28.7.2 works with all of the sites I visit.  I could never get Firefox fixed, so I've moved my setting into Pale Moon, and uninstalled ESR 68.  Oh well, so sad  :(

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 10:40 AM, Jody Thornton said:

I never thought I'd do it again, but Pale Moon 28.7.2 works with all of the sites I visit.

In my case, even Basilisk doesn't stomach everything I throw at it anymore.