[Solved] Infrared Transfer is not working.

i430VX

Hello guys. I have an HP compaq nc4010 with some issues with it's infared transceiver. The first issue is that the Infared "Wireless Link" applet in the control panel refuses to open, simply doing nothing upon being clicked.  The Second issue is that when attempting to transfer files to or from this HP, the other computer gets the Infared prompt, but this one does not. Attempting anyway on the other computer always ends in "the other machine actively refused it." The infared service is running, and proper drivers appear to be installed.

Thanks for any help.

:)

Edited by i430VX
Infared is not a "port", per se.

> Infared is not a "port", per se.

Infared is (an adapter connected to) a serial port. In the system BIOS, make sure the IR serial port is enabled. If it already is, disabled it to see how the system reacts.

Edited by jumper

Well, sorta. The messages stopped altogether as the laptop with working infrared could no longer detect the HP as it's infared is disabled. Re-enabling it and trying again produces the same issues as before.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

<pedantic mode, sorry>

Folks, it's "infrared"

To be fair @i430VX did get it right once:

Typo. I do know the real spelling, I just sorta had a brainlapse a couple of times, I'll fix the title

• i430VX changed the title to Infrared Transfer is not working.

I opened up irftp.exe in dependancy walker, and I noticed wer.dll was missing. I replaced that from another computer which made dependancy walker happy but the IR functionality still does not work.

Well, after another time running Tweaking.com - Windows Repair, and another time reinstalling the Infrared drivers, it somehow started working this time. And, FWIW, the text display issue mentioned in the last post also somehow resolved itself.

• i430VX changed the title to [Solved] Infrared Transfer is not working.

Glad you got it working!

17 hours ago, i430VX said:

Typo. I do know the real spelling, I just sorta had a brainlapse a couple of times, I'll fix the title

No biggie, but thanks! It did sort of grate on my nerves a bit, especially when jumper chimed in with the same misspelling!