xpcreate hanging

xracer

It goes until the last line shown below, then stops. Any ideas? I modified the system parameters and double checked, but does the same thing. Thanks.

-- 18:53:42 --> Setting up Run-Time Variables.

-- 18:53:42 --> Listing Hotfixes and Updates

-- 18:53:42 --> Removing Previous Creation directories.

-- 18:54:51 --> Removing TEMP Files.

-- 18:54:52 --> Creating TEMP directories.

-- 18:54:52 --> Start copying files.

-- 18:58:14 --> Determine Source Version.

-- 18:58:15 --> Found Source Version: XPP

-- 18:58:15 --> Found Minor Version: 1

-- 18:58:15 --> Found Service Pack Version: 0

-- 18:58:15 --> Found Language Version: ENU

-- 18:58:15 --> Slipstreaming Service Pack.

-- 18:58:15 --> Extracting Service Pack : xpsp1_en_x86.exe

-- 18:58:45 --> Merging Service Pack : xpsp1_en_x86.exe

-- 18:59:28 --> Copying Hotfixes: Type 1

-- 18:59:28 --> Extracting for sort order.

-- 19:00:38 --> Sort Hotfixes ...

-- 19:00:39 --> Copying Hotfixes: Type 2

-- 19:00:40 --> Copying SVCPACK Executables

-- 19:00:40 --> Repack all the Special Case Type II Hotfixes

-- 19:00:40 --> Slipstreaming MDAC update.

I took out the file Q832483 that was in SVC-MDC and it continued beyond that point and everything looked good, but then it just quit at some other point. There is no log, don't know why.

I find XPCreate to be a very good utility, but since it's quite different from manually building a cd, it will take me a bit of time to get used to it.

I'm stumped at this point.

edit: it finishes up to where it's creating files for the CD, then it quits. Here is the amended xpcreate.ini :

[XPCREATE]

XPSOURCE=G:

BOOTIMGFILE=C:\BOOT

XPISO=C:\XPCREATE.ISO

CDERASE=NO

CDSPEED=MAX

CDBURNER=F:

Briefly looking....it looks like it finished

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 20:18:26 -- Finished at: 20:18:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and you iso to burn to a cd should be here:
SET XPISO=C:\XPCREATE.ISO

if the process did finish correctly :)

Regards,

N.

Briefly looking....it looks like it finished

-- 20:18:26 -- Finished at: 20:18:26

and you iso to burn to a cd should be here:

SET XPISO=C:\XPCREATE.ISO
if the process did finish correctly :)

Regards,

N.

No, it didn't create the file, that's why it's puzzling. It completes the entire process, says it's creating the files for the cd, very briefly flashes 'burning iso' (or whatever) then quits. I'm sure it's just operator error, but I'd like to get this working :rolleyes:

Strange....

you do have enough free space for the iso to be created right?

Is the folder that the ISO is made from there with everything in it?

(think its called FILESCD or CDFILES - something along those lines...haven't got XPCREATE on this PC I'm using yet)

Mine doesn't get all the way to where yours does even hehe I have to keep removing hotfixes and other apps so it can progress further....weird stuff.

Regards,

N.

I just tried it on a new install on a different pc. It does the exact same thing. There is no iso file saved anywhere. This leads me to believe it is something I am doing wrong.

I'm beginning to feel like a real dope. :)

Try the following method, perhaps it might resolve your issues!

1) Make sure your folder option is set to "show hidden files and folders".

2) Make a folder in C Drive (not in My Documents) called "XPC-SOURCE".

3) Using Windows Explorer copy ALL source CD contents to above folder on the hard drive.

4) Create another folder in C Drive called WINXP-XPC, where you have to extract the XPCREATE Files (Make sure you have the latest version).

5) Make sure all the hotties etc are in appropriate folders in the WINXP-XPC folder.

6) Change the xpcreate.ini file to :-

[XPCREATE]
XPSOURCE=C:\WINXP-SOURCEBOOTIMGFILE=BOOT\XPCTBOOT.BINXPISO=WXPCREATE.ISOCDERASE=NOCDSPEED=MAXCDBURNER=D:
Change drive letter to your CD-RW, if planning to burn a CD in one go (Place DISK in Drive). Otherwise you would find the ISO file created in "WINXP-XPC" folder.

7) Run "XPCREATE.CMD".

8) Make sure you have a programme to delect ISO files, like WinISO or UltraISO, otherwise you just might miss it.

9) Then you can burn the ISO file using Nero or whatever burning software you have.

10) Test it on MS Virtual PC or VMware if needed.

This works well for me, never had any issues you guys describe.

Hope this helps some.... and excuse me if I stated the obvious above, but sometimes it the very simple things that get overlooked! :)

Try the following method, perhaps it might resolve your issues!

1) Make sure your folder option is set to "show hidden files and folders".

2) Make a folder in C Drive (not in My Documents) called "XPC-SOURCE".

3) Using Windows Explorer copy ALL source CD contents to above folder on the hard drive.

4) Create another folder in C Drive called WINXP-XPC, where you have to extract the XPCREATE Files (Make sure you have the latest version).

5) Make sure all the hotties etc are in appropriate folders in the WINXP-XPC folder.

6) Change the xpcreate.ini file to :-

[XPCREATE]

XPSOURCE=C:\WINXP-SOURCE

BOOTIMGFILE=BOOT\XPCTBOOT.BIN

XPISO=WXPCREATE.ISO

CDERASE=NO

CDSPEED=MAX

CDBURNER=D:

Change drive letter to your CD-RW, if planning to burn a CD in one go (Place DISK in Drive). Otherwise you would find the ISO file created in "WINXP-XPC" folder.

7) Run "XPCREATE.CMD".

8) Make sure you have a programme to delect ISO files, like WinISO or UltraISO, otherwise you just might miss it.

9) Then you can burn the ISO file using Nero or whatever burning software you have.

10) Test it on MS Virtual PC or VMware if needed.

This works well for me, never had any issues you guys describe.

Hope this helps some.... and excuse me if I stated the obvious above, but sometimes it the very simple things that get overlooked!  :rolleyes:

I found the error of my ways, although it seems like it still should have worked.

XPCreate.ini instructions:

; Edit the XPCREATE section below to suit your needs.

;

; XPSOURCE is the relative or full path to your Windows Source Files. This may be on a CD, or your HDD.

; BOOTIMGFILE is the relative or full path to your CD Boot Image File.

; XPISO is the full or relative path of the XPCREATE ISO CD Image File to be created.

; CDERASE should be set to YES if you would like to erase your CD-RW before recording.

; CDSPEED is the speed at which you would like to burn your CDs.

; CDBURNER is the drive letter of your CD Burner.

[XPCREATE]

XPSOURCE=D:

BOOTIMGFILE=BOOT\XPCTBOOT.BIN

XPISO=XPCREATE.ISO

CDERASE=NO

CDSPEED=MAX

CDBURNER=L:

Basically, what Shareef59 posted got me to thinking I should just keep everything in C: and not change the path of BOOTIMGFILE and XPISO to separate folders because they are accessed/created inside the xpcreate folder. Once I did that, all worked well. So, thanks shareef59, you helped me out!! :)

Now, I need to learn how to integrate winnt.sif, reg tweaks, Nvidia drivers, applications etc. to install properly and silently. I placed the nVidia 3.13 unified drivers in SVC-EXE folder and it installed, but I got an error during install; was looking for something in My Documents, a .dll file I think. I ok'd out of it 3 or 4 times and the rest went in fine. So far so good except for that.

@shareef59

Many thanks for the prompts but indeed obvious :rolleyes:

I never use spaces in my folder names for things such as XPCREATE for the obvious reasons we all know.

But its always worth reminding folk...just in case :D

Still wish I knew what was wrong.

Oh well...I'll try and try again til I get it right :D

@xracer

Not sure whether installing the Nvidia unified driver this way will work...may produce very undesirable results :)

Regards folks

N.

@xracer

Not sure whether installing the Nvidia unified driver this way will work...may produce very undesirable results  :)

Regards folks

N.

Installing nVidia platform drivers from svc-exe worked, just had those few errors while it was installing. Again I will assume it's something on my end. At this point it's purely a learning curve, so am taking baby steps.