My Browser Builds (Part 2)

4 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

The thing is, @roytam1 didn't write and doesn't maintain the installer; @i430VX does!

It probably wouldn't be hard for his installer to ask if you wanted a portable install, and add the necessary options to the shortcuts it creates. But @i430VX is the one to ask.

I can certainly add this to the list. But, currently my installer is in maintinence-mode (only fixing serious bugs and not many new stuff) due to not having much free time. I have things for the installer of a higher priority when the free time arises, but I am commited to adding an "install as portable" option eventually. :)

But, yeah. As a reminder, @roytam1 is not affiliated with the house of cards known as my browser installer. He ports changes and compiles binaries, I just make an (Unofficial!) installer that eases the retreival and unpacking of said binary archives.

lama said:
> I cannot make Serpent Basilisk.exe default browser because links and
> pages.HTMx will bypass -profile context while executing .EXE

roytam1 said:
> then this is no longer portable

Hmm. As long as the system doesn't complain, why not. In special circumstances it can make sense to have the default app on a removable drive.
And the profile location (inside or out) is completely independant from an app's default state.
At any rate I've always loved to keep the settings of all my programs inside them, if any possible.
(no idea of the chains in modern systems though)

@lama
I certainly wish long since an easier portable mode too, but it's an immense work that creators of free software and tools offer us here, and their spare time is very precious too. Not only the (little) effort you may need to merge a portable firefox with Serpent inside. That would hopefully work as default browser? (not quite sure)

But if you don't like this thick wrapper, or just for variety, I wonder if there's yet another workaround possible. No clue if useful, and it certainly takes some minutes too. But if it's always the same few computers you use (?), and the path to your default app stays also always the same, suggest to try if editing the "profiles.ini" helps. The one in the systems appdata folder, in every computer. If you like to try, first make a backup copy of it, then edit. That file contains a line "isRelative=1" in every profile. Set it to "=0" and write the full path to your Portable profile folder below it. That folder can be anywhere by the way.
Thinking about it, it's probably better to create a second profile below it, and leave the original lines unchanged.
And for testing time, would set "StartWithLastProfile=0"
And of course, remove again the commandline-suffixes while testing...

Hey guys, anyone familiar with this problem?

When leaving station locked for some time and returning, all video playback in Basilisk v52 will sometime be ruined, requiring browser restart.
That is, video playback will skip rapidly between some caught frames, and a frame it's trying to render.
When switching window context from and back to one with video, the stuck frames are updated.

My video hardware is Nvidia Quadro 600.

@roytam1 : In your custom UXP branch, the one you build the UXP browsers on, hence Serpent 52, you have included the following (upstream) commit:

https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commit/690fb973929d5560fc4546885b5f39330161be9e

[WebRequest] Remove AddonManagerPermissions leftovers

wolfbeast authored and roytam1 committed 2 days ago

This was added as part of the WebExtension sec issue CVE-2017-5389. Since we no longer have this interface, it needed to be removed to prevent errors in the WebRequest channel callback.

... But we do still have this interface (i.e. the WebExtensions Addons Manager, WebEx AOM) in St52, so probably that should be reverted? :dubbio:

FWIW, original discussion in official forums: 

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23362

SSE here-I updated Kmeleon Goanna, Palemoon/Newmoon 27 SSE and Firefox 45 ESR SSE with installer like the last time where i did all the adjustments in about:config and others. I checked which settings had to be altered after a new installation-update. see 2.
Be Aware: i have a weak system with less space left. so neednt be default for all SSE-PCs.

1. Important Note for Browser-installation: If there are Administrator- and Standard(Restricted in Winxp)-accounts it is advised to install first
in Restricted account but with administrators rights. If done wrong-not changing the rights-its impossible to start(no access to exe) and removing folders is impossible. one must do that in save-mode but not in standard system-administrator but in the admin-account which oneself had setup.

i didnt care with CYS common youtube saver(not installed) since i couldnt make it running again. antvideo downloader also crappy.
i am am interested how videos and sound are working in Youtube and Facebook,

2. So which settings had to be adjusted again?

a)here only FFmpeg files had to be copied to PM-folder
b) in about:config strange was search was not working for all settings. means: i was searching-despite entries were still there search didnt find.
3. I installed UOC-Patch and Enforcer but only for Firefox 45 ESR SSE since i wanted to see how youtube is behaving in Kmeleon Goanna and Palemoon 27 SSE(Newmoon). and because it is said using FF 45 ESR SSE is advised.
4. Firefox 45 ESR SSE soon was blocked after a short period of time playing YT-videos. Will observe that over next time.
in Kmeleon sound is almost perfect all the time but video not playing smoothly. Next is checking Palemoon/Newmoon 27 SSE.
Videodownload i will not check on this non_backed-up system.
Services must be checked and preferences reset. Never did the latter! Fear it at the moment.

Edited by 3dreal

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@roytam1 : In your custom UXP branch, the one you build the UXP browsers on, hence Serpent 52, you have included the following (upstream) commit:

https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commit/690fb973929d5560fc4546885b5f39330161be9e

... But we do still have this interface (i.e. the WebExtensions Addons Manager, WebEx AOM) in St52, so probably that should be reverted? :dubbio:

FWIW, original discussion in official forums: 

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23362

https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commit/2b2df633f66dc3d1a5eb5f3a1bfa151820bfbaec

I have windows 7. The serpent and newmon modifications have limitations.
1 slow start up
2 suspends gmail
3 netflix movies don't work

There is no modification offer without these restrictions.
I see the subject of historical toys here.
MS kills XP, murders windows 7 - github has no chance to change that.
Oryginalby PaleMoon for windows 7 also has these limitations:
1 slow start up
2 suspends gmail
3 netflix movies don't work

I love you guys, but I am old and I will not live to see that a pearl will emerge from idle discussion.
Best regards and goodbye.
kitaro1

Edit: Mypal on a pendrive is a useful tool, I have a secure bank and login.
MewMoon useful for streaming internet tv.
So many benefits, the rest is FF 73.0b11

Edited by kitaro1