My Browser Builds (Part 2)

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@Tangy : If the issue you're experiencing happens on the very popular https://filterlists.com/ site,
then that site had a recent revamp/redesign (default dark theme), which might have contributed to the issue... :dubbio:

I conducted some short tests with New Moon 28 + uBO-legacy 1.16.4.26, here's what I found:
When loading a selected list's own page, e.g.

https://filterlists.com/lists/1hosts-mini

then, when clicking the "Subscribe" blue button/bar in the right sidebar, try to avoid clicking directly on the literal word, rather aim in an empty spot within the button; then, hopefully, the "add-to-custom-filterlists" dialog will pop-up:

tCWhqQu.jpg

Take care... :)

It may also happen that the list to be imported into Custom is not in the Filterlist and the subscribe button is not available.

https://github.com/Kees1958/W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist/blob/master/EU_US_most_common_trackers

In this case you need to press the Raw button.

copy the URL and import it into UBO.

This general method also works in Filterlist.

Of course you know it, but since it has been talked about I am posting it for the benefit of other MSFN members.:yes:

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

5 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

ALL settings in about:permissions is broken.

"Most" of them were fixed in NM27 but they still remain broken in ArcticFox.

This AF build is directly build with minimal changes for working in windows. you should post an issue on rmottola/Arctic-Fox instead.

2 hours ago, kwisomialbert said:

Hi...

Clear history doesnt work in Arcticfox...

untitled.jpg

issues in front-end side of AF is more buggy than NM27 builds, since it is just for testing back-end code for me while upstream (i.e. rmottola) is actively porting mozilla code changes into AF.

36 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I will not.

I do not follow "their" build, I follow your build.

then you have to wait for rmottola fixing these bugs in the future since front-end changes are in low priority for now.

29 minutes ago, kwisomialbert said:

w(h)ich is better for windows xp

You really have to answer this one yourself.

You ask 50 people, you'll get 50 different answers.

You ask 5000 people, you'll get 4999 different answers and two people that give the same answer.

I personally use v27 because I have ran benchmark tests and v27 is faster - "mileage may vary" and you should really run your own benchmark tests.2020-11-21_10-23-20.jpg.a244d1f148c768b50e439abef1129320.jpg

Edited by ArcticFoxie

56 minutes ago, kwisomialbert said:

Thanks roytam1 ....

pls.. what is the difference between NM27 and NM28... wich is better for windows xp

NM27 is based on firefox(gecko) 38, while NM28 is based on firefox(gecko) 52.

it is hard to tell which is "better" since results may vary when you have different point of view to review both of them. NM28 supports more newer features so it can survive in current internet environment but it is more laggy when comparing with NM27.

13 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I will not.

I do not follow "their" build, I follow your build.

Or you could use New Moon 28.10.2a1, and then post your issues in the Pale Moon forum... Both suggestions make about as much sense (As far as I'm aware). :lol:

In all seriousness, I do believe you should be filing your issues with RoyTam1's browser builds in this MSFN forum since he is the one releasing the specific builds we use.

9 hours ago, ClassicNick said:

Or you could use New Moon 28.10.2a1, and then post your issues in the Pale Moon forum... Both suggestions make about as much sense (As far as I'm aware). :lol:

In all seriousness, I do believe you should be filing your issues with RoyTam1's browser builds in this MSFN forum since he is the one releasing the specific builds we use.

the situation is a bit different: AF side permits me to distribute without any change, i.e. it is semi-official build.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:23 PM, kwisomialbert said:

Hi...

Clear history doesnt work in Arcticfox...

untitled.jpg

Matt Oudenhoven (AF's original author) has read and replied:

I tried creating an msfn account a few times over the years, but they've never sent me a confirmation email, and i'm stuck as just a visitor to the forum. Anyway, recently someone posted about history not working in AF. Make sure they enable it. By default AF loads in private browsing mode, which never remembers history. Prefs -> Privacy -> History. That will fix their problem.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:07 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

I think you'll be happy with that NM28 version dated 2018.

I personally use a NM27 version dated 2017.

I will take quick, snappy, and responsive any day of the week over "patched for security".

Using NM 28.1.0a1.win32-git-20180922 for a few weeks now. So I can make my feedback summary:

2012 Laptop with Windows XP +  NM 28.8.0a1 2019-12-06 = Bit of sluggish browsing + once every few hours it can get very unresponsive.

2012 Laptop with Windows XP + NM 28.1.0a1  2018-09-22 = Bit of sluggish browsing. No problems otherwise. (Downgraded as advised)

2012 Desktop with Windows XP + NM 28.10.1a1 2020-07-04 = Reasonably responsive. No problems

2012 Desktop with Linux x64 + Firefox 82 = Noticeably faster.

That last entry may be a bit snarky, but it is what I see. Know that I am thankful for what Roytam made available, I will use it regardless of the Linux boot option. 

EDIT: I just noticed NM 28.1.0a1  2018-09-22 looks all red in ArcticFoxie's benchmark table. But did you not advise me to use that one for a while? The one in the table is from the 21st. though, 1 day difference.

Edited by gerwin