My Browser Builds (Part 2)

Firefox 45.9.32 x64 does not start on Windows XP x64, "firefox.exe is not a Win32 application" error. I also checked version 45.9.31 x64, there is the same error.

Edited by ED_Sln
Edit.

8 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Fx45ESR 20210327 builds are there, but under slightly different filenames:

firefox-45.9.32-20210327-f3ee98666-win32-ia32.7z

firefox-45.9.32-20210327-f3ee98666-win32-sse.7z

firefox-45.9.32-20210327-f3ee98666-win64.7z

However, MailNews/BNavigator/IceDove-UXP/IceApe-UXP builds of 20210327 haven't yet made it onto the server, hence the 404s... :(

oops forgot to upload them, and they're uploaded now

5 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Firefox 45.9.32 x64 does not start on Windows XP x64, "firefox.exe is not a Win32 application" error. I also checked version 45.9.31 x64, there is the same error.

please try redownload it

13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

<OT>

Many thanks for your suggestion of the GRIT 7-zip plugin :thumbup ; however, while it does work for .pak files of the rest of the Chromium forks (including Google Chrome), it still is incapable of accessing and decompressing the insides of YB's resources.pak file :angry: ; as @ArcticFoxie has stressed, that file has been specially packed/crafted so as to be only accessible by the browser itself, not third party tools... I guess you could consider it a form of soft "encryption" ... <_<

</OT>

I tested plugin on Yandex full installer for version 19.3.2.177 and had NO problems. Maybe Russian devs went Mozilla way in newer builds. Mozilla uses zip files with central directory moved to the beginning of the archive.

22 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I hope that roytam1 will consider starting a part 3 thread in the near future. As I recall, his original thread was locked after reaching the staggering length of 199 pages, thanks in large part to OT posts.

I think, that some moderator should split OT messages (including ours) to separate threads. I won't comment searching capabilites, some things are really better searchable with Google and search limited to site:msfn.org

8 hours ago, Usher said:

I tested plugin on Yandex full installer for version 19.3.2.177 and had NO problems. Maybe Russian devs went Mozilla way in newer builds. Mozilla uses zip files with central directory moved to the beginning of the archive.

The standard unpacker ( https://github.com/myfreeer/chrome-pak-customizer ) does work on YandexPortable 19.6.1.153, but it does not work on YandexPortable 17.4.1.919.

My Yandex download source is SourceForge - https://sourceforge.net/projects/thumbapps/files/Internet/Yandex Browser/

So I tried YandexPortable 17.11.1.988 (last of the v17 but does not work in XP, 17.4.1.919 is last XP as far as those hosted on SourceForge) and it did unpack with the standard unpacker.

So then I tried YandexPortable 17.6.0.1633 (the first release not available to XP users) and it did unpack with the standard unpacker.

Then I tried YandexPortable 17.4.0.2383 (first in the 17.4 series) and it did not unpack.

So it appears the non-standard resources.pak format is only with the XP versions.

<OT>

5 hours ago, Usher said:

I tested plugin on Yandex full installer for version 19.3.2.177 and had NO problems.

Thanks, but the discussion here has always been about decompressing resources.pak of the XP(/Vista)-compatible YB v17.4.1.x ( @ArcticFoxie cited v17.4.1.919, while the very last 17.4.1.x one is v17.4.1.1026 - and the one I unsuccessfully tried the GRIT plugin on... :( ) ; interestingly enough, the plugin does work in the Vista+ compatible v17.6.0.1633 (Chromium 58 based) I use here (portable PAF format), so whatever packing changes Yandex have implemented to .pak files must've been between the 17.4 & 17.6 branches (there was no 17.5 one) ... :dubbio:

EDIT: AF has just posted as I was finishing composing this post... ;)

</OT>

Edited by VistaLover

On 3/19/2021 at 3:28 AM, roytam1 said:

yes it was written by someone else: https://gist.github.com/adriengibrat/b0ee333dc1b058a22b66

EDIT: extension seems to be working after prepending Object.prototype.watch.js from above in chrome\content\zotero\xpcom\locateManager.js

https://rthost.win/tmp/zotero-4.0.29.25.xpi

Thanks roytam1! I have not yet fully test it (I will), but installs correctly, and saves media as it should. The only glitch I have found, so far, is that even if I change preferences to open in a tab, Zotero opens in a panel. This is solved (manually, but sticks during session -probably even after closing session, will report) by pressing the "toggle tab mode" button (top right, just near to the "close" button).

I will finally be able to stop using Palemoon 27, which I started using just for Zotero, a couple of years ago. Thanks again!

I have a small issue with the latest Palemoon/Newmoon 28, with language packs. The dialog in Preferences->Content seemingly had some changes over the past months. Since recently it also has a "Media Formats" field at the bottom. But all the available NL/Dutch language packs that I download are lacking these fields. Therefore that dialog page will appear entirely empty. Inside the language pack the file "content.dtd" should hold these translated fields. I am perfectly fine tweaking "content.dtd" manually, like before, but I cannot do so until I find an example showing the new field names.

With Firefox 87 Mozilla introduces SmartBlock:

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2021/03/23/introducing-smartblock/

MSFN members using Noscript 5.X in our pre - Quantum browsers will have this functionality (Script Surrogates) more fully:

https://hackademix.net/2021/03/23/welcome-smartblock-script-surrogates-for-the-masses/

Giorgio Maone in fact defines the new functionality of Firefox:

..........Script Surrogate's "light", mainstream young sibling, built-in in Firefox......

UBO Legacy also allows you to have this functionality in the uBlock filters - Unbreak list.

......We also want to acknowledge the NoScript and uBlock Origin teams for helping to pioneer this approach.......

MSFN Members who do not want to use Noscript and cannot use UBO Legacy, for example because they use NM27, please make sure you have the list described above:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/master/filters/unbreak.txt

Not always more modern is synonymous with better.:yes:

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

<OT>

8 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

With Firefox 87 Mozilla...

Apologies for the OT, but my sister relies on latest Mozilla Firefox (87.0) for her work on her Windows 7 SP1 64-bit laptop; the version used is the portable edition (in PAF format) of the Greek-localisation of the 32-bit official compile: 

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/87.0/win32/el/

Except for facebook (:puke:), twitter (:angry:) and instagram (:angry:), what I personally consider the most detrimental places to visit on a (non-Google) desktop browser, she's basically clueless about IT, so I'm often summoned for troubleshooting on her machine... On such a recent occasion I found out, to my dismay, that the about:support troubleshooting help page of Fx 87.0el 32-bit remains empty of vital details... 

I've googled and nothing relevant came up - since she's constantly in front of that machine (ca. 16h/day) and I can't run Fx 87.0 under Vista SP2 32-bit, can someone kind try to investigate this? Is about:support populated with ALL info on a non-English localised Fx 87.0 (32-bit) instance?

</OT>

51 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

I found out, to my dismay, that the about:support troubleshooting help page of Fx 87.0el 32-bit remains empty of vital details... 

I've googled and nothing relevant came up - since she's constantly in front of that machine (ca. 16h/day) and I can't run Fx 87.0 under Vista SP2 32-bit, can someone kind try to investigate this? Is about:support populated with ALL info on a non-English localised Fx 87.0 (32-bit) instance?

Just tried it in a Windows 7 VM snapshot with the 32bit NL version, and about:support looks complete here.

[Edit]

That was the official installer. Will try with the portable one.

Wait a moment.

[Edit2]

Looks normal again. :)

Edited by nicolaasjan

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Except for facebook (:puke:), twitter (:angry:) and instagram (:angry:), what I personally consider the most detrimental places to visit on a (non-Google) desktop browser, she's basically clueless about IT, so I'm often summoned for troubleshooting on her machine... On such a recent occasion I found out, to my dismay, that the about:support troubleshooting help page of Fx 87.0el 32-bit remains empty of vital details...

That was a recent problem I came upon as well. After some testing with a fresh profile there's a new file called "shield-preference-experiments.json" that has to be there to get all of about:support (at least with v88.0, haven't tested with v87.0).

If the current profile isn't automatically generating it then try creating a new profile and then copying that file into the profile where it it isn't. 

Can anyone test this? Whenever going to google voice lately with 52 right afterwards the mouse scrolling starts to stick and I’m forced to reboot the browser. It always seemed to do that following a visit to about:addons, even firefox 52 but now it’s happening with certain websites as well.

It’s not a problem with Serpent 55 so it may be version-related.