My Browser Builds (Part 2)

5 hours ago, Inox said:

I've noticed that when I use MailNews it establish strange connection with server IP 98.184.220.29:80

It seems to be something on a cable provider. Is your E-Mail service provided by Cox, perhaps? Or, are you  loading an E-Mail that is loading remote resources from Cox?
https://whois.toolforge.org/gateway.py?lookup=true&ip=98.184.220.29

I should note that my installation of MailNews is not making this connection, instead connections to Google, Microsoft, and Yandex. Which makes sense, as my three E-Mail accounts are through those companies.

Though, it would be cool to know why it is keeping connections open to my mail servers, when I have set it to check only every 30 minutes (immediate notifications box is unchecked for all accounts)

Edited by i430VX

My MailNews establish connection to e-mail service provider (it's 213.180.147.154:993) it's not a Cox. And I don't find any email with remote resources from Cox. Good to know that your MailNews is not making this connection so it's something wrong only with my computer.

20 hours ago, i430VX said:

I should note that my installation of MailNews is not making this connection, instead connections to Google, Microsoft, and Yandex. Which makes sense, as my three E-Mail accounts are through those companies.

Speaking of Yandex  --  do you know of any way to unpack resources.pak, the method I use for 360Chrome does not work for Yandex?

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

That's exactly what I use for 360Chrome (where resources.pak for build 2206 is 5.2 MB).

But it does not work for Yandex (where resources.pak for version 17.4.1.919 is close to FOUR TIMES the size at 20.2 MB).

So I can't help but be curious as to what is HIDDEN inside resources.pak that the creator doesn't want us to see by using conventional unpack methods.

I also have to wonder if creating a resources.pak that cannot be unpacked by the end user is even in agreement with terms between Yandex and Chrome/Chromium.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

2 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

also have to wonder if creating a resources.pak that cannot be unpacked by the end user is even in agreement with terms between Yandex and Chrome/Chromium.

And if it isn't, what might they do to the people at Yandex? Give them a stern look? :unsure:

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

So I can't help but be curious as to what is HIDDEN inside resources.pak that the creator doesn't want us to see by using conventional unpack methods.

I do not have much of an understanding of .PAK files in general, but I do not beleive this to be an archive at all. Open it in your favorite text editor, and you will see a lot of the contents. It appears to be various HTML, CSS, and JS Code, from my very brief investigation.

image.thumb.png.ef2192db844a5acc855e92364755a5e3.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I refuse to make another off-topic post in this thread, so I will put it here as an edit. @Dixel: I do not understand your obsession with labeling software and even people agents of the KGB, an agency which ceased to exist in 1991 with the fall of the USSR. Kaspersky, for example, is the only instance I know of with the creator having ties to the KGB. That being said, they offered to share their source code to prove it was not spyware for Russia. I do not see a reason they would do so if it was actually such a thing. I have not done any research to Yandex specifically, but I do not see any peculiar connections going on in my system from it. I think the idea of labelling all software and even all people from a specific region/country to be spyware/spies to be very prejudiced.

I cannot speak for everyone in every country, but when I was in the middle and high school we did cover a lot about the Soviet Union, including content about the KGB. Let alone my own researching on these topics over the years. So It's not like I "just don't understand".
"Did you see the reaction in the ex-kernel topic when I advised against Kaspersky ? Only a couple of people liked ..."
And one of those "likes" was you. The existence of your alt account, D.Draker, is painfully obvious and clearly a source of reputation farming.

Edited by i430VX

6 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

That's exactly what I use for 360Chrome (where resources.pak for build 2206 is 5.2 MB).

But it does not work for Yandex (where resources.pak for version 17.4.1.919 is close to FOUR TIMES the size at 20.2 MB).

I also have to wonder if creating a resources.pak that cannot be unpacked by the end user is even in agreement with terms between Yandex and Chrome/Chromium.

The founder of Google was born in Russia : Sergey Mikhaylovich Brin , born August 21, 1973 in Moscow, Soviet Union (!).

From Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Brin

Should I comment on this ? I think no , that information alone must be enough.

Dear , @ArcticFoxie don't waste your breath , they will continue to use Yandex , Google , Kaspersky (graduated from the KGB Higher School in 1987) and other russian software. The younger generations just don't understand that , since they stopped telling them in the movies about KGB and whatnot. Did you see the reaction in the ex-kernel topic when I advised against Kaspersky ? Only a couple of people liked ...

P.S.

Respect to you and like from me. I'm really glad some people like you still exist , that gives some hope, but that doesn't mean we should relax , though.

After careful watching for a couple of days, I have come to the conclusion that MailNews (and likely the upstream "official" version... though I haven't checked) is definitely not ever closing the connections to my mail servers, though I definitely think it should be based on my settings. It certainly has a lot MORE connections (to the same places) when synchronizing, but it just seems to never let go of that last connection for each account. Only switching to offline mode truly shuts down the connections. Not exactly convenient, as I lose the automated timed checking feature and i have to "go online" every time manually. Now, I know to have some "always open" connections for most people isn't an issue, but as I'm living with extremely limited internet data until Starlink becomes availible in my area, closing up every little bit of bandwidth spillage helps.

So, my question is why are these mail server connections staying open in MailNews when it is not performing the schedueled synchronization, and is there anything that can be done to prevent it, short of dropping into offline mode?

4 hours ago, i430VX said:

I do not understand your obsession with labeling software and even people agents of the KGB, an agency which ceased to exist in 1991

There is no obsession. Dixel is right. By many people words like "obsession" considered as rude.

KGB, an agency which ceased to exist in 1991

You have to be absolutely ignorant into believing this BS. They didn't "ceased", they just change nickname to drop the heat. It's like you repainting car in PaintShop in GTA game to drop the heat. They did it many times before and only total suckers buy on it every time. Here is they own timeline of nicknames:

Cheka (1917–1922), GPU under NKVD RSFSR (1922–1923), OGPU (1923–1934), NKVD (1934–1946), NKGB (February–July 1941/1943–1946), MGB (1946–1953), KGB(1953-1991), FCS (1993-1995) FSB (1995-now)

Nicknames changes only to drop the heat, IT IS STILL ONE AND THE SAME ENTITY. Only naive people\not educated on this topic does not understand that. Even in russian wikipedia in article about FSB in first part of article with google translate you learn: Is the main successor of the KGB of the USSR. It is a terrorist organization run by psychopaths, sociopaths and complete criminals - a people with zero empathy.

Yandex is under full and utter control of Russian government which is FSB people. In case of Self-insulation of Russia from World Internet Yandex suppose to be replacement to Google search and mail and RuTube replacement of YouTube, it is well known facts. There is ZERO trust to software made in Russia in last years. For example, even if you look at russian ReactOS article in wikipedia with translator you will learn interesting things like: "ReactOS project participants were registered in Russia. Trademarks were registered. The developer team seeks to get financing from the Russian government to create a startup and promotion of ReactOS under its own brand as a Russian national operating system." As well as pictures of russian rabid nationalist (known as "dark colonel") from they parliament working with ReactOS and info that both leaders of Russia also introduced to this "project" of high-jacking windows 2003  free and open-source operating system.

they offered to share their source code to prove it was not spyware for Russia. I do not see a reason they would do so if it was actually such a thing.

Again it is things for suckers. Of course they will give you "clean" source-code, and then actual program will have different code and be spying on you. There is a reason why Kaspersky Lab has been permanently banned from providing services to U.S. government agencies. Because it f-n spyware! Nobody ever should use any serious modern software from Russia, because you should not sponsor fascist state and this software may be and will be a hack in to your system.

The founder of Google was born in Russia : Sergey Mikhaylovich Brin , born August 21, 1973 in Moscow, Soviet Union (!).

From Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Brin

Should I comment on this ? I think no , that information alone must be enough.

Exactly! And right now Google turn up in to Corporation of EVIL. They right now in the process of OBLITERATING independent media in USA and many people like Jordan Chariton CALL IT OUT. The process is simple: destroy any real left USA channel. Remove it from algorithm proposal and automatically played next video proposal (Like Secular Talk or The Young Turks and others were removed if you watch them religiously still every next video proposed by algorithm will be MSNBC or CNN or Daily show or other right-wing corporate crap), demonetized it, silent total ban in suggestions and eventually full ban. Only right-wing mainstream media and some (but not all) far-right channels are not touched and propped and God know what it will be next after that. In Russian segment of YouTube purge against small real independent opposition is almost complete, for example Sasha Sotnik and several similar channels are demonetized, get silent ban+ total ban in suggestions and notifications, i assume eventually full ban will follow. In my information from IT-people who work in USA: russian division of Google and YouTube almost completely consists from FSB puppets and agents and even in Google headquarters RU division is pariah and they avoid and afraid of those people. So again using russian OS, browser, anti-virus or any other software is completely dumb. Avoid it at all costs!

Google need FBI check and investigation, it look like it is infiltrated by all sort of spy's and agents from top to bottom because it behaves like that. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck!

And one of those "likes" was you. The existence of your alt account, D.Draker, is painfully obvious and clearly a source of reputation farming.

I have a little conversation\dispute with Dixel in topic about Geforce GTX 9xx\10xx drivers here in XP segment of forum. And under every second Dixel post there was like from D.Draker. And i was wondering - who the hell is D.Draker and why he siding with his likes with Dixel when it is obvious that i am right. Ha, now we, apparently, know.:cool: DIxel, if that true, this is a shame, this is such a teenage thing from 2000-2010 decade, lol. Even if it not you but a friend or relative - lol.:rolleyes:

Edited by Rod Steel

I do not have much of an understanding of .PAK files in general, but I do not beleive this to be an archive at all. Open it in your favorite text editor, and you will see a lot of the contents. It appears to be various HTML, CSS, and JS Code, from my very brief investigation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Dixel: I do not understand your obsession with labeling software and even people agents of the KGB, an agency which ceased to exist in 1991 with the fall of the USSR.

Agreed!  @Dixel, I was not pushing some conspiracy, I was attempting to decompile Yandex Browser in the same fashion I have done with 360Chrome, nothing more.

@i430VX - when you open Yandex's resources.pak in EditPad, you had to scroll down several rows to get to your screencap.

Here's what I see when I open Yandex's resources.pak in EditPad.

spacer.png

Basically, those blue horizontal lines are separations between File #1, File #2, File #3, et cetera.

What I want to be able to do is open File #1, for example - but you can NOT without UNPACKING resources.pak.

360Chrome's resources.pak has 1,561 files contained inside it (at least my modified resources.pak, I may have deleted some resources), and I can open each and every one of them, edit, and repack as a .pak.

There's some .json, some .js, some .html, some .png, and several hundred files without an extension - all of them can be opened and studied, modified if desired, saved and repacked.

ungoogled-chromium-86.0.4240.198-1_Win32's resources.pak has 1,622 files contained inside it - I can open every single one of them.

Chromium v49.0.2623.112's resources.pak has 1,647 files contained inside it - I can open every single one of them.

Conspiracies aside, I should be able to unpack Yandex's resources.pak so I can see what's inside - but the standard unpackers will not unpack it.

My curiosity exists solely in attempting a new skin/theme and moving the tabs to the middle and perhaps even bypassing the "tableau" altogether.

I'm NOT a fan of Yandex - but I do like to "tinker" and reconstruct software here and there - but Yandex doesn't follow the historical norm of Chrome-based browser files as far as unpacking and repacking.

15 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

There is no obsession. Dixel is right. By many people words like "obsession" considered as rude.

Enough! Obsession is not rude when it reflects reality. However, this isn't a case of obsession, but instead of the common garden variety of paranoia.
Those in need should get a Velostat hat post haste. Besides that, enough off-topic babble. Remember also Rule # 2.b before further derailing this thread.

I hope that roytam1 will consider starting a part 3 thread in the near future. As I recall, his original thread was locked after reaching the staggering length of 199 pages, thanks in large part to OT posts. The present thread is now nearly as long, again largely because of OT posts. MSFN is an international forum, and some members are not very proficient in English (including some who live in the US), and it is not reasonable to expect them to read a 200-page thread before asking a question that has very likely been answered before.

When part 3 arrives, I hope that MSFN members will refrain from posts that are not related to roytam1’s browser builds, e.g. perhaps Yandex browser warrants a thread of its own? Google’s detractors might be interested in this:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181995-united-states-vs-google-antitrust-suit/

Vistapocalypse, yup, searching for something here is a pain. Maybe start a new one each 3 or 6 months, regardless of posts count?

I would prefer a "Browsers" subforum to host all related discussions. But this probably won't be accepted, just like my "Hardware & drivers" suggestion from the past...