My Browser Builds (Part 2)

2 hours ago, DanR20 said:

Roy kept that for his builds. Enhancer for YouTube is the only one I have and it works well with Serpent.

The original Basilisk 52 project from "upstream" did have WE support, be it somewhat inferior to the one present in the Mozilla 52.6.0 platform they forked off as UXP; the MCP devs disabled/removed some WE features/APIs initially, e.g. id-less WEs were not supported, because Basilisk 52 does not observe extension-signing...

Having partial WE support in their test UXP browser application (Basilisk) was something the MCP people felt quite uneasy about, given their lack of any will to further maintain that part of the platform code; coupled with their general disdain/aversion for WE (a Google Chrome spawned and Firefox-aped technology), they finally removed completely all traces of WE support in Basilisk 52 in February 2019 (Basilisk-52.9.2018.12.18 the last with WE support, Basilisk-52.9.2019.02.11 the first with no WE support). 

After consultation with members here (where are you @Mathwiz ? ) it was decided that Serpent 52 will continue to contain that (partial) WE support in an "unmaintained/use at your own risk" state :whistle:; WE related security issues are not being patched by upstream/our current maintainer; if you install from AMO, be warned that many (WE) addons there are marked in a blanket fashion as "working in Fx 48.0 and higher", but often times this is simply not true, because WEs of today are NOT being tested on Fx 48-52 :realmad: ; additionally, Serpent 52 does not check AMO for WE updates, so that is left upon you (i.e. bookmark a WE addon's page on AMO and visit occasionally for eventual updates); be weary of WE updates, in many cases the updated addon uses WE APIs not present in St52... :(

I personally use several WEs in St52, e.g. the userscript manager Violentmonkey 2.12.9 and userstyle manager Stylus 1.4.23 :)

Edited by VistaLover

57 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Even New Moon?

Pale Moon as an application had never incorporated any WE support whatsoever, and that was, of course, true for v27, which was Tycho (Mozilla ESR 38 fork) based; when MCP "transplanted" the Pale Moon application onto their new UXP platform (Mozilla ESR 52 fork) and upgraded its major version from 27 to 28 (and, recently, to 29), no provision was made to equip it with any means of accessing the WE code then present in the new platform; Pale Moon shall forever stay free of the Web Extension "pollution"...

In its initial days, Basilisk was touted as the browser non-Quantum Fx migrants should choose, because, unlike Pale Moon, it supported both "legacy" and WE addons, plus it had EME (WidevineCDM) support; where are we now? WE support removed, EME support broken, soon to be completely excised... IOW, Basilisk is practically Pale Moon wearing the Australis interface (oversimplified, differences do exist...).

Edited by VistaLover

17 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

After consultation with members here (where are you @Mathwiz ? ) it was decided that Serpent 52 will continue to contain that (partial) WE support in an "unmaintained/use at your own risk" state :whistle:;

Yes I remember that thread, I may have chimed in as did some others. Glad it was kept too.

Also good question, what happened to @Mathwiz, he seems to have vanished. 

privacy.firstparty.isolate was added with FF55 so it does not work with NM28.

Also privacy.userContext.ui.enabled is not available in NM28.

Of course, after resetting those (invalid) prefs, they are now empty strings in New Moon. However, when I was going through Serpent52 - resetting them defaulted them to (back to) "False" - so I guess they are valid in ST52 ... go figure :dubbio:

18 hours ago, DanR20 said:

One of the best addons for youtube, Enhancer for YouTube finally got updated to 2.0.103. He put a strict min version of 68.0 but by chance I lowered it to 52.0 and tried it in UXP and it works perfectly, every setting that I can tell. There’s quite a few changes too.

How did you "lower" it to 52.0?
I'd be very interested to see if the new version can be made to work in Firefox 52.9 ESR.
:dubbio:

49 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

How did you "lower" it to 52.0?
I'd be very interested to see if the new version can be made to work in Firefox 52.9 ESR.
:dubbio:

Open the addon with 7-zip or a similar program and on the root there’s a file manifest.json. If you’re using 7-zip right click edit to open it and nine lines down you’ll see:

"strict_min_version": "68.0"

Just change it to this:

"strict_min_version": "52.0"

Save and close and it should install. I already had the previous version on there so all that was needed was to swap the old one with the new one. 

On 2/23/2021 at 8:00 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

privacy.firstparty.isolate was added with FF55 so it does not work with NM28.

6 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

However, when I was going through Serpent52 - resetting them defaulted them to (back to) "False" - so I guess they are valid in ST52 ... go figure

@Sampei.Nihirahas only been using New Moon 28; in his reply, he's not saying anything about Serpent 52; once again, the usual confusion between platform (UXP) and applications (NM28 vs St52) built on top of that same platform (i.e., the common platform does not exclude the existence of differences between the applications...)  ;) ...

A simple test in Firefox ESR 52.9.1 reveals that

privacy.firstparty.isolate;false

indeed exists already in it, so it's no wonder it's there too in its direct descendant, Serpent 52.9.0 ...

A cursory search in Bugzilla reveals that the pref itself was first implemented as part of #1260931 :

[Bug 1260931 - Part 2: add pref privacy.firstparty.isolate]
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/d173cefba1e1

in Firefox 51.0a1; but to give credit to Sampei :), the feature behind that pref seems to have matured in Fx 55.0 stable, and this is where many Google search results agree on: 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/another-tor-browser-feature-makes-it-into-firefox-first-party-isolation/

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/22/how-to-enable-first-party-isolation-in-firefox/

TL;DR

privacy.firstparty.isolate

does not exist in NM28, but does exist in St52 (default=false); toggling that pref in St52 (to true) presents risks that (some) sites may break, because First Party Isolation in FxESR 52 was in its infancy development-wise... :P

Addendum:

privacy.userContext.ui.enabled

likewise is absent in NM28, but present in St52; I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to track down when that pref was first introduced in Firefox (and thus ended up in St52) ... 
Hint: it's related to Container Tabs, a feature originally present in FxESR 52 and official Basilisk 52, which the MCP devs later decided to scrap :angry:; due to demand by members here, again expressed more loudly by MIA @Mathwiz , that feature still survives in Serpent 52.9.0...

Edited by VistaLover

4 hours ago, DanR20 said:

Open the addon with 7-zip or a similar program and on the root there’s a file manifest.json. If you’re using 7-zip right click edit to open it and nine lines down you’ll see:

"strict_min_version": "68.0"

Just change it to this:

"strict_min_version": "52.0"

Save and close and it should install. I already had the previous version on there so all that was needed was to swap the old one with the new one. 

It works, thank you so much!
:cheerleader::worship::cheerleader:
The only thing which doesn't seem to work in Firefox 52.9 ESR is the snapshot feature, which does nothing.
Personally I can live without that!
It sometimes doesn't load when you first load a YouTube video, but the old version I was using used to do that as well.
Refreshing the page makes it come good and it's then OK on subsequent videos.

Off-topic here of course, but I hope this will help others.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

37 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

IIt sometimes doesn't load when you first load a YouTube video, but the old version I was using used to do that as well.
Refreshing the page makes it come good and it's then OK on subsequent videos.

That happens to me too. I find that it helps to open each video in a new tab, all of the settings seem to work right from the start. Now that I found the mpc-be player, which is even better for youtube videos than VLC I don’t have to use google’s horrible player that much thankfully but this addon does make it more tolerable at least.