My Browser Builds (Part 2)

4 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

I don't have time to go through pages of a thread

I apologise If I sounded harsh/hostile in my reply to you - no disrespect was implied/meant... :)
"Your" time is as precious as anyone else's in these forums, so I won't accept that as an argument (but this is just me) ... 

Yes, these "Roytam1" threads go big pretty quickly, but that is why Forum (Google, etc.) search exists... I'm not even able myself to easily locate my own posts from 2-3 years ago! 

You have been a previous user of New Moon in your "Vista" era, so, in my book, I thought it a given you already knew how NM is being built off of official PM: 

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

UXP forks by @roytam1 are already being built (as has ALWAYS been the case) on code cherry-picked from the master branch of the official UXP repo, as well as the master branches of official Pale Moon (for NM28) and Basilisk (for St52)

(I realise now I was wrong :( ) - and direct links to Roytam1's GitHub repos are always given with every weekly release cycle announcement here, so one has to only go back (in this thread) a few pages at best to read the latest release notes - or bookmark the permanent link to Roy's blog ...

As for calling you "superficial", sorry, I was just being carried away by the manner the majority of software users think that version N is way better than version (N-1); it's one of the reasons Mozilla moved on to a rapid - monthly - release cycle in their chase after Google Chrome... So, I just interpreted your question as "look, PM 29 has been out, are you able to match it?" ...

Regards :)

1 hour ago, Jody Thornton said:

EDIT:  (and yes I saw the smilies, but I abhore the tone of your comment. 

My previous reply was composed without reading your most recent "EDIT" ;) ; I still feel (though I obviously might be wrong) that my "tone" in these forums strives to be civil and my responses helpful; I would extremely hate it to be called one day the M.A.T. of MSFN! :P

But every one of us has a different/unique type of personality/mindset, especially when that is conveyed only through written speech in a forum... Complete resonance between forum members is, in my opinion, very scarce/difficult to attain... 

E,g. you said:

1 hour ago, Jody Thornton said:

I don't need to concern myself with differences between source code and "versions"

I. OTOH, feel you needed to, if you were "curious" on the subject... So let's agree to disagree on that and go our merry ways... 

In any case, water under the bridge, I sincerely hope no ill feeling exists still on your side, best wishes... 

PS: When I, personally, have IT related queries, first thing I do is apply the biblical "seek and ye shall find" and when that one is exhausted without outcome, only then comes second the biblical "Ask, and it shall be given you" (with the likelihood, when not dealing with God, that it might not... :(:P

Edited by VistaLover

4 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Just curious.  Are you guys moving at to any of the new 29x releases?  Can this be recompiled for XP/Vista compatibility?

UXP core is 29-ish (without using NSS SQLite (i.e. keeping NSS using DBM for better over-network-drive performance), preserving marquee, keeping old user agent override key name, etc.)

PM front-end is kind-of 29-ish, but due to above changes, it is more 28-alike. (like keeping old omni.ja format)

Edited by roytam1

Hello.

I have some issues with both your Basilisk and New Moon browser. (I am a simple user, not a developer.)

Concerning Basilisk:

When I constantly used version 2020.07.04, I once transferred the contents of the profiles folder (...\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild\Basilisk\Profiles\...) to a folder on an internal HDD in order to relieve stress from my SSD with my operating system on it (Windows Vista 32-bit). I edited the profiles.ini file ("Path=") to reflect that change.

Everything worked fine. Now when trying out your latest build (v52.9.0), I decided to revert my changes and copied the contents of that folder back to the respective folder on the SSD. I also made the appropriate change in the profiles.ini file, and took care that the folder name of the profile is everywhere the same (in that file, in the AppData\Roaming as well as in the AppData\Local folder).

For the moment I still want to use the older version of Basilisk, v2020.07.04. I am not running your latest build any more because (which is another problem that I wanted to mention) I can't open a page by inserting the address via Paste, and pressing Return, or by Paste & Go. The browser does nothing when I do that. But now with your previous build, the problem is that every time when I start the browser, and often during using it, my AVG Internet Security gives me an "IDP.Generic" virus warning. Each time when that happens I have to declare an exception for basilisk.exe. (That warning seems to be a problem with all your browser builds, but usually I just have to declare an exception only the first time when starting the browser, now I have to declare it every time when starting and during operation.)

Perhaps the depicted problem has something to do with the fact that the location of the folder with the profile, in AppData\Local and AppData\Roaming, changed from Moonchild to Moonchild Productions? (Though I copied the profile of the older version to the right folder, to Moonchild, instead of Moonchild Productions.)

Concerning New Moon:

With version 27.9.7, when I want to open a page in a new tab by right clicking on the link and choosing Open Link in New Tab, the browser simply does nothing. The same with Open Link in New Window, Open Link in New Private Window, Open Link in Current Tab, or with any other option in that context menu. (For that reason, for now I still use version 28.10.1a1.)

Addendum: When AVG reports a suspected virus, the Task Manager will show at least two Basilisk processes that are running. Even if I originally only started the browser once and ended all previous Basilisk processes.

Edited by SpiRec
addendum

1 hour ago, SpiRec said:

...with your previous build, the problem is that every time when I start the browser, and often during using it, my AVG Internet Security gives me an "IDP.Generic" virus warning. Each time when that happens I have to declare an exception for basilisk.exe. (That warning seems to be a problem with all your browser builds, but usually I just have to declare an exception only the first time when starting the browser, now I have to declare it every time when starting and during operation.)....

Addendum: When AVG reports a suspected virus, the Task Manager will show at least two Basilisk processes that are running. Even if I originally only started the browser once and ended all previous Basilisk processes.

I’m glad to hear that AVG Internet Security is still usable on Vista, but this is not AVG Support Community! If you trust AVG never to throw a false positive more than you trust these browsers, then don’t use these browsers. If these detections are behavior-based rather than signature-based (which is most likely), then you should be able to turn off behavioral detection in AVG settings. In the unlikely event that AVG definitions have blacklisted your browser, you could contact AVG to request whitelisting. (Many years ago, before AVG was bought by Avast, I persuaded them to whitelist a hack called mc2xml that was useful for acquiring Microsoft data for use with a 3rd party DVR.)

On 2/8/2021 at 9:02 AM, XPerceniol said:

~continued from Explorere 260 thread~

As I've said there..

I've taken your advice and disabled TLS 1.0 and 1.1:

version.fallback_limit "4" :unsure: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/13/mozilla-starts-to-enable-tls-1-3-on-firefox-stable/

version.min "3"

version.max "4" [default])

... and everything looks dandy all but the Insecure Cipher Suites.

0xc00a TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA CBC, SHA-MAC

0xc014 TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA CBC, SHA-MAC

0x0045 TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_128_CBC_SHA CBC, SHA-MAC

0x0088 TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_256_CBC_SHA CBC, SHA-MAC

0x009d TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 NO PFS

0x002f TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA CBC, SHA-MAC, NO PFS

0x0041 TLS_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_128_CBC_SHA CBC, SHA-MAC, NO PFS

0x0035 TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA CBC, SHA-MAC, NO PFS

0x003d TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 CBC, NO PFS

0x0084 TLS_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_256_CBC_SHA CBC, SHA-MAC, NO PFS

However, I'm uncertain on how to disable them in Serpent52 and NewMoon28.

Any advice is much appreciated in advance.

Enjoy your Monday everyone :)

I use Pale moon commander

2020015.jpg.beb22410888ec9d30e768352d9b10e3f.jpg

40 minutes ago, kartel said:

404 Not Found

https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-28.10.3a1.win64-git-20210130-bf093ea79-uxp-bd9fdeccc-xpmod.7z

for some reason, I can't download the latest release

If you're looking for the 64-bit edition of latest NM28 (version upped to 28.10.3a1), the correct URI is

https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-28.10.3a1.win64-git-20210206-bf093ea79-uxp-bd9fdeccc-xpmod.7z

:)

8 hours ago, SpiRec said:

When I constantly used version 2020.07.04, I once transferred the contents of the profiles folder (...\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild\Basilisk\Profiles\...) to a folder on an internal HDD in order to relieve stress from my SSD with my operating system on it (Windows Vista 32-bit). I edited the profiles.ini file ("Path=") to reflect that change.

Everything worked fine. Now when trying out your latest build (v52.9.0), I decided to revert my changes and copied the contents of that folder back to the respective folder on the SSD. I also made the appropriate change in the profiles.ini file, and took care that the folder name of the profile is everywhere the same (in that file, in the AppData\Roaming as well as in the AppData\Local folder).

For the moment I still want to use the older version of Basilisk, v2020.07.04. I am not running your latest build any more because (which is another problem that I wanted to mention) I can't open a page by inserting the address via Paste, and pressing Return, or by Paste & Go. The browser does nothing when I do that. But now with your previous build, the problem is that every time when I start the browser, and often during using it, my AVG Internet Security gives me an "IDP.Generic" virus warning. Each time when that happens I have to declare an exception for basilisk.exe. (That warning seems to be a problem with all your browser builds, but usually I just have to declare an exception only the first time when starting the browser, now I have to declare it every time when starting and during operation.)

I would strongly encourage the use of the "portable loader".

Using the "portable loader", I can literally run dozens of Pale Moon / New Moon / Mypal / Basilisk / Serpent / you-name-it all SIDE-BY-SIDE and all with their OWN profiles.

I personally only use the 32-bit despite being on a 64-bit OS.

You can download the 'official' "portable loader" from here  --  https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml#Portable_versions

Unzip it via 7-Zip.

You should have a folder with 6 sub-folders (Backups, Bin, Downloads, Lib, ReadMe, and User), one Palemoon-Portable.ini file, and one Palemoon-Portable.exe file.

For starters you should be able to just use the default .ini and .exe.

Whenever you download a Roytam release, unzip his release and copy those into the portable loader's "Bin" folder.

Your profile is stored in User -> PaleMoon -> Profiles -> Default.

You can rename the root folder anything you want and move it anywhere you want, all path names are "relative".

VERY convenient for bouncing around from one profile to the next, for testing new Roytam releases without effecting your "daily driver", et cetera.

Just copy the root folder over as often as you like and name the root folder something conveniently describing your intent for that profile, et cetera.

I just keep everything with the "palemoon" name (ie, my version of Basilisk has the Basilisk files copied into "Bin" but then basilisk.exe is renamed to palemoon.exe so I don't need to change my .ini.

"Mileage may vary"

The official Pale Moon build that you have linked to doesn't support Windows Vista any more. I've tried out the newest portable version once, and it didn't start, and I had to reboot my laptop as (I suppose) it messed something up in RAM memory. Because when I started one of the builds of roytam1 afterwards, Windows Vista hanged up completely.

16 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I’m glad to hear that AVG Internet Security is still usable on Vista, but this is not AVG Support Community! If you trust AVG never to throw a false positive more than you trust these browsers, then don’t use these browsers. If these detections are behavior-based rather than signature-based (which is most likely), then you should be able to turn off behavioral detection in AVG settings. In the unlikely event that AVG definitions have blacklisted your browser, you could contact AVG to request whitelisting. (Many years ago, before AVG was bought by Avast, I persuaded them to whitelist a hack called mc2xml that was useful for acquiring Microsoft data for use with a 3rd party DVR.)

I'll consider turning off the behavioral detection. This is not a question of trust, but of annoyance. Generally speaking I can use those browsers. But I don't want to have to declare an exception all the time. It's annoying and time consuming. Regarding AVG: It's the only commercial Security Suite I know (besides Avast and Avira, which all come from the same source?) that still runs under Vista.

Edited by SpiRec

1 hour ago, SpiRec said:

The official Pale Moon build that you have linked to doesn't support Windows Vista any more. I've tried out the newest portable version once, and it didn't start, and I had to reboot my laptop as (I suppose) it messed something up in RAM memory. Because when I started one of the builds of roytam1 afterwards, Windows Vista hanged up completely.

I did not tell you to use the official Pale Moon build.

I suggested downloading the portable and THEN COPYING THE BUILD THAT YOU DO USE INTO THE BIN FOLDER.

We only want to use the "portable loader", NOT the "official Pale Moon build".

ps - not for the faint of heart, but I wouldn't run antivirus software if you PAID ME TO.  Never been hit with a virus (and would put money on it that I never will be).  Click-Savvy.  Know what you are clicking, use a good HOSTS file, use NoScript and only allow white-listed .js, use a good uMatrix list, et cetera.  But again, I wouldn't run antivirus software if you PAID ME TO.  But "to each their own", I know that "most" people don't like BLOCKING ALL javascript by default.  But it's either nag-screens about .js or nag-screens from the antivirus software, "pick your poison".  But anywhoo...  :)

Edited by ArcticFoxie