My Browser Builds (Part 2)

11 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

How do you find it better DanR20?  I'm moving to Interlink Mail and News in January.

I would run Roytam1's version but there is no interest (last that I check) in making an x64 build yet, is there?

Curious, why are you moving from MN to Interlink?

They seem to be virtually identical, except MN has wider software compatibility, so it seems objectively superior.

I had to use IL MN for a few days while I had a script error downloading MN, but all the idiosyncrasies of the programs seem to be identical.

10 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

How do you find it better DanR20?  I'm moving to Interlink Mail and News in January.

I would run Roytam1's version but there is no interest (last that I check) in making an x64 build yet, is there?

It's just the older style that I prefer. The preferences open up in a separate user interface (much easier to work with), the icons are better and the program itself is faster at opening up and retrieving messages.

It seems like the newer the version the more sluggish and bloated it gets. 

As far as the x64 build: wouldn't know whether there's plans to offer that version. 

30 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

Curious, why are you moving from MN to Interlink?

They seem to be virtually identical, except MN has wider software compatibility, so it seems objectively superior.

I had to use IL MN for a few days while I had a script error downloading MN, but all the idiosyncrasies of the programs seem to be identical.

I'm not.  I'm running Windows Mail (originally pulled from Vista) on Windows 8.  I'm replacing that once my mail is organized and backed up.

27 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

It's just the older style that I prefer. The preferences open up in a separate user interface (much easier to work with), the icons are better and the program itself is faster at opening up and retrieving messages.

It seems like the newer the version the more sluggish and bloated it gets. 

As far as the x64 build: wouldn't know whether there's plans to offer that version. 

OK cool.  Then I guess I should stick to the native release. I'm planning on running the Photonic theme to give a flat, up to date look, so you've answered my question  :)

5 hours ago, DanR20 said:

Personally I don't see the benefit of using Pale Moon over the Serpent/UXP version that is offered here for download, for me Serpent does everything I need addon-wise and speed but they both probably have their advantages depending on what the user is using it for.

"Serpent" is the SLOWEST of the browsers being offered here (at least on my hardware, "mileage may vary").2020-12-06_1-16-37.jpg.e1c07b925a84948742734f7228553557.jpg

16 hours ago, DanR20 said:

From what I understand New Moon 27 is based on the Firefox 38 codebase while New Moon 28 is Firefox 52.

Personally I don't see the benefit of using Pale Moon over the Serpent/UXP version that is offered here for download, for me Serpent does everything I need addon-wise and speed but they both probably have their advantages depending on what the user is using it for.

Serpent is 52, for certain. And I guess that makes some sense... yeah that and the user's specs would come into play here :p

@roytam1 Are there any plans to deviate in any way from the upstream projects past branding and compatibility for things on your part? I'm pretty sure you got K-Meleon's endorsement (and in fact I remember mentioning your fork when it started to someone who took an interest as they always found the embeddable thing interesting)

10 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

"Serpent" is the SLOWEST of the browsers being offered here (at least on my hardware, "mileage may vary").2020-12-06_1-16-37.jpg.e1c07b925a84948742734f7228553557.jpg

On my older Netvista P4 2.6 that's probably true. Some javascript-intense sites like Twitter barely move when scrolling with the keyboard. On Windows 7 I'm forced to use Quantum. Maybe toggling javascript.options.ion.inlining to true will make a difference.

With this newer quad-core i5-3470 Serpent is blazing fast, no matter the site. Compared to what I was using, it's impossible to see how any browser could be much faster.

2 hours ago, DanR20 said:

On my older Netvista P4 2.6 that's probably true. Some javascript-intense sites like Twitter barely move when scrolling with the keyboard. On Windows 7 I'm forced to use Quantum. Maybe toggling javascript.options.ion.inlining to true will make a difference.

With this newer quad-core i5-3470 Serpent is blazing fast, no matter the site. Compared to what I was using, it's impossible to see how any browser could be much faster.

How does Serpent 52 compare to Serpent 55?

6 hours ago, DanR20 said:

My table is from an i7-4770.

My other two desktops are both Core2 Quads and the laptop is Core2 Duo.

No matter how I slice it, NM27/Mypal27 is the fastest and Serpent is the slowest.

To each their own, you cited earlier that you don't see any benefit to using Pale Moon.

Well, what goes around comes around, but I see no benefit to using Serpent.  :buehehe:

32 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

To each their own, you cited earlier that you don't see any benefit to using Pale Moon.

Well I stand corrected, it's very possible that New Moon 27 may perform better than Serpent on my older machine, when I get a chance I'm going to try it.

It's the newer one where based on my experience that even if Serpent gets beat in benchmarks it won't be by much. And with Serpent all my useful addons work perfectly and nearly every page renders as good as Quantum so I'm considering the bigger picture. 

@DanR20  --  Another thing to watch is how fast the GUI loads and responds to mouse-clicks.

What good is a browser that renders pages in 100 milliseconds if it takes 10 seconds for the GUI to load?  (exaggerating, of course)

I use PassMark AppTimer for this  --  https://www.passmark.com/products/apptimer/

And again, Serpent is the SLOWEST.

Don't get me wrong, Serpent has its advantages (not for me personally, but it depends on what the user uses it for) - but "speed" is not one of those advantages.  :whistle:

Browser-choice is ALWAYS a matter of "personal preference" so again, "mileage may vary".

2020-12-07_0-32-46.thumb.jpg.fe518c244fc7ee44d50fe2682e66905e.jpg

Edited by ArcticFoxie