My Browser Builds (Part 2)

7 minutes ago, we3fan said:

Thanks asdf2345, I appreciate it, I spoofed as Chrome 85 on XP and it worked.

Is it possible to have Chrome spoofed only for youtube.com? And for all other sites to work normally as Chrome 49 on XP?

I think you'll need to find a specific addon for that

4 hours ago, we3fan said:

Chrome 49 works a bit faster on my Laptop, is there anything I can do to make Good Old Youtube extension work again in Chrome 49?

Check that you have the latest version of the extension (v1.16 currently). I just tested on my netbook with Chrome 80 and it works.

If it still doesn't work for you, use a GoogleBot user agent.

[edit1]

31 minutes ago, we3fan said:

Is it possible to have Chrome spoofed only for youtube.com? And for all other sites to work normally as Chrome 49 on XP?

the extension User Agent Switcher & Manager from the chrome store is able to do this.

Install it, open its options and select Custom. There is a link in the description that adds a sample setting - click it and modify as you like.

[edit2]

Looks like it broke again in Serpent52, i had to enable my SSUAO to fix it...

Edited by RainyShadow

6 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Check that you have the latest version of the extension (v1.16 currently). I just tested on my netbook with Chrome 80 and it works.

@we3fan currently has Chrome 49 on Windows XP, 49 being (as you might already know) the last version to support that OS... Chrome 49 only supports the deprecated CRX2 type of Chromium extension packaging ; however, evil :realmad: Google have stopped publishing new and updated extensions in the Chrome Web Store (CWS) in that package (.crx) format since the end of last May 2020, making only available the newer format package CRX3, which isn't supported by old Chrome versions (NB: Chrome v64.0.3242.0 is the first one with CRX3 support).

The following is an excerpt from an unpublished article of mine:

Unavailability of CRX2-format on CWS-updated extensions

This is a fatal development affecting ALL old Chromium versions (and forks based on them) that ONLY support the deprecated CRX2 packaging format for Chrome Web Store (CWS) extensions!

More specifically, all CWS extensions that were updated during the last week of May 2020 and thereafter are being made available SOLELY in the CRX3 packaging format! Even if the extension's code itself preserves compatibility with legacy Chromium versions (like the ones installed and run by WinXP/Vista users, e.g. 49/50/51/52/53/57/58), the extension can't be further updated - if previously already installed - or installed for the first time in a dirty/clean profile (since CWS does NOT keep older - CRX2-packaged - versions) ...

What can be still installed for the first time is CWS existing extensions that were last updated PRIOR to the last week of May 2020, and are, hence, still available in both CRX2/CRX3 packaging formats.

Stable channel Chrome builds on Windows (& Chromium forks based on those) ONLY accept CWS signed/installed extensions; several well known third-party Chrome extension repositories (e.g. https://www.crx4chrome.com) only offer them as CRX3 packages, and this stands true for archived extension versions...

One may download the CRX3-variant (several methods exist, either online downloaders or dedicated local extensions) and extract to a local directory (with 7-zip); re-packaging the extension from within a legacy Chromium version (e.g. 49) that will, by default, create a compatible CRX2 .crx file isn't an option either, because the browser will block/disable the extension right after its successful manual installation (under enabled developer mode), due to it failing to verify its authenticity (IOW, not being installed straight from CWS) ...

The only viable but cumbersome/annoying solution is to load the unpacked extension from the local directory, under developer mode, but this is good only for the specific browser session; once you exit and relaunch, the loaded extension(s) will be initially disabled (Chrome will nag about and produce a pop-up), unless you explicitly allow it(them) to be (re-)loaded from directory... And, of course, updating such an extension in the future will be only possible via a similar manual procedure...

The following depicts what happens when one attempts to install GOYT 1.16.0 on Chrome 49:

HA3kyI6.jpg

Previously installed versions won't auto-update, either...

7 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I think you'll need to find a specific addon for that

SSUAOs in Chromium browsers can be enabled via, e.g. User-Agent Switcher for Chrome :

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg

1. First set a Custom UA and add it to the "Chrome" category (under default, this assumes the newly created UA impersonates some other form/version of Chromium), then
2. Permanent Spoof List => domain => youtube.com => choose the previously set custom UA =>add
3. When you load yt, the extension's tab icon will alert you a SSUAO is being used...

DISCLAIMER: This was obviously OFF-TOPIC, as it doesn't pertain to any of Roytam1's browsers... :whistle:

Edited by VistaLover
Clarifications

@VistaLover

Thanks for the explanation.

As i rarely run Chrome, i didn't know about that CRX2/3 mess. My main PC can only run up to Chrome 34 which is pretty useless. And the netbook is tugged away in a corner of my room, i use it mainly to WOL the PC, lol.

I see that Chrome unpacks the installed extensions in the Profile\extensions folder. Can this be used to manually update an extension by replacing those files with the newer ones? There is some verification file in the _metadata subfolder, but does it contain any system/OS/browser specific data, or a copy from another system would work?

The oldest version of GOYT i found is v1.3, and my Chrome34 isn't able to install it...

7 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

the extension User Agent Switcher & Manager from the chrome store is able to do this.

It appears you missed the point in my previous post above...

User Agent Switcher & Manager
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-and-m/bhchdcejhohfmigjafbampogmaanbfkg
Version 0.4.4
Updated: October 8 2020

=> CRX3-package-only, that won't install in Chrome 49

OTOH, the one extension I suggested was last updated on September 6 2019 and will install! ;)

5 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

@VistaLover

Thanks for the explanation.

As i rarely run Chrome, i didn't know about that CRX2/3 mess. My main PC can only run up to Chrome 34 which is pretty useless. And the netbook is tugged away in a corner of my room, i use it mainly to WOL the PC, lol.

I see that Chrome unpacks the installed extensions in the Profile\extensions folder. Can this be used to manually update an extension by replacing those files with the newer ones? There is some verification file in the _metadata subfolder, but does it contain any system/OS/browser specific data, or a copy from another system would work?

The oldest version of GOYT i found is v1.3, and my Chrome34 isn't able to install it...

Why only Chrome 34?

9 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Why only Chrome 34?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say because of
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=39255

starting with Chrome 35 there's not gonna be support for Socket A, Pentium III and older Processors

i.e. the CPU on that box of his doesn't support SSE2+ instructions set...

On 12/1/2020 at 11:46 AM, feodor2 said:

Hi

I found tor-browser-52.9.0esr-7.5-2.git is available, so i can try build it upon my centaury.  what about the names, is the "centaury" will be right?

Not sure if your talking about the same but luckily TOR 7.5.6(the last XP version I could get to work) is open source. Still very usable, might have potential.

-Saga