My Browser Builds (Part 2)

3 hours ago, kwisomialbert said:

HI...

Wich version is better for me SSE or IA32

both versions work for me

thanks...

Your avatar (or whatever it's called) says you are on XP so the answer is "neither", use the "real" version that has no SSE or IA32 in the name.

Technically the answer is determined by your CPU and not your operating system.

Use the "real" version unless your computer is so old that it came with Win 98 or Win 2000.

If it came with Win XP then the SSE and the IA32 aren't for you.

At least that's how I understand it.

34 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Using
1. Latest Serpent v52.9.0 (2020-11-27) (32-bit) [BuildID=20201127025411]
 The default SSUAO for "youtube.com"

Same build and same SSUAO here...

35 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

2. Latest Good Old Youtube v1.16.0 (patched to enable installation), with default settings

I had v1.15.1 when testing. The update check in about:addons didn't find newer versions.

Now i manually updated to v1.16 and it again works with the default SSUAO.

39 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

However, I do not have a Google/YT account, thus I visit as non-signed-in... YT's behaviour might be different for signed-in users...

I rarely use my YT account on PC ever since they forced the sign-in in YT to mean sign-in in all Google sites at once. And when i do, it is in a private tab. I use guest access normally.

47 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Tips: If I suddenly find I am being served the abominable polymer layout, I make sure I delete browser cache and all *google.*/*youtube.* set cookies, then restart browser+reload youtube page ;) ...

Cleared cache and restarted a few times. Didn't touch the cookies though.

------

Summary:

Good Old Youtube v1.16 works.

Good Old Youtube older than v1.16, Old Youtube and Roys OldTube for NM27 all need custom SSUAO.

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Your avatar (or whatever it's called) says you are on XP so the answer is "neither", use the "real" version that has no SSE or IA32 in the name.

Use the "real" version unless your computer is so old that it came with Win 98 or Win 2000.

Sorry, but your post doesn't make any sense. Unless you misread their avatar (or whatever it's called) as XP x64.

Does the unlabelled build require SSE2 instructions (others being sse and ia32)? Probably not an issue with any Intel CPU. If it is a PIII then it is too slow to run modern heavy scripted sites. What non-SSE2 enabled CPU can you practically use with a modern web browser today?

@j7n Yes, it requires SSE2. All modern browsers require it, that's why the need for these special builds.

My AthlonXP can beat a P4 in many tasks. Not the speed, but the lack of SSE2 really restricts the use of modern programs with it...

@kwisomialbert said that both SSE and IA32 builds work for them and asked which one is better. This doesn't tell whether they can run the SSE2 build.

Hi Roy,

your latest NM27 release (20201128) makes the highly popular German "TV on demand" search page "https://mediathekviewweb.de" (MediathekViewWeb) stop functioning.

The "cookie consent"-overlay does't show up as it was (and still is) with the former releases.

Will you please look into this issue. Thanks.

Edited by bernd

Perhaps a better explanation is required?

I personally don't know WHY we have "regular", "sse", and "ia32".

But my reasoning is based on "user base" - ie, my hunch is that 99% of people here can (and should) use the "regular".

But there's that 1% that has us (Roy) releasing all three "flavors" every week ???

We have Win98 and Win2000 "flavors" every once in a while - we (Roy) doesn't release those "weekly" (nor should he).

So why are we (Roy) releasing sse and ia32 flavors "weekly" when there is such a tiny user base that "require" those flavors ???

Just thinking out loud...

Edited by ArcticFoxie

2 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

I had v1.15.1 when testing. The update check in about:addons didn't find newer versions.

Now I manually updated to v1.16

That's because Serpent 52 by default doesn't check AMO (addons.mozilla.org) for installed WEs updates (and if one searches this long thread, will, hopefully, locate related posts of mine... :whistle:)

If you go to about:config => extensions.update.url, you'll see default URI being

https://addons.basilisk-browser.org/?component=aus&reqVersion=%REQ_VERSION%&id=%ITEM_ID%&version=%ITEM_VERSION%&maxAppVersion=%ITEM_MAXAPPVERSION%&status=%ITEM_STATUS%&appID=%APP_ID%&appVersion=%APP_VERSION%&appOS=%APP_OS%&appABI=%APP_ABI%&locale=%APP_LOCALE%&currentAppVersion=%CURRENT_APP_VERSION%&updateType=%UPDATE_TYPE%&compatMode=%COMPATIBILITY_MODE%

i.e. only ABBO is being queried for legacy/XUL extension updates... 
Should you wish to be notified about WE-updates from AMO, you should point that pref to it via:

https://versioncheck.addons.mozilla.org/update/VersionCheck.php?reqVersion=%REQ_VERSION%&id=%ITEM_ID%&version=%ITEM_VERSION%&maxAppVersion=%ITEM_MAXAPPVERSION%&status=%ITEM_STATUS%&appID=%APP_ID%&appVersion=52.9&appOS=%APP_OS%&appABI=%APP_ABI%&locale=%APP_LOCALE%&currentAppVersion=%CURRENT_APP_VERSION%&updateType=%UPDATE_TYPE%&compatMode=%COMPATIBILITY_MODE%

NB:
1. You won't be notified about updates from ABBO henceforth...
2. In the case of id-less WEs like GOYT, you'll only be notified about un update being available, but the addons manager (AOM) won't be able to install said update; you'll have to, as you already know already, download manually/patch install.rdf/install from file (or drag-n-drop)... I hope it's clear now,,, :)

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Perhaps a better explanation is required?

I personally don't know WHY we have "regular", "sse", and "ia32".

But my reasoning is based on "user base" - ie, my hunch is that 99% of people here can (and should) use the "regular".

But there's that 1% that has us (Roy) releasing all three "flavors" every week ???

We have Win98 and Win2000 "flavors" every once in a while - we (Roy) doesn't release those "weekly" (nor should he).

So why are we (Roy) releasing sse and ia32 flavors "weekly" when there is such a tiny user base that "require" those flavors ???

Just thinking out loud...

Aside from myself, I believe there are several other people around these parts who use Athlon XP machines, which lack SSE2, yet do feature SSE. I appreciate @roytam1 doing regular builds for these old processors. 

Edited by sparty411

15 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

But some versions has just sse and ia32 in the name like Firefox 45ESR.

3 hours ago, Dr. Drill said:

Hello, roytam1.

Have you thought about forking Tor Browser 7.5.6?
This is the latest version for WinXP and based on Firefox 52.9.0 ESR.
TB is still in demand for bypassing censorship.

Thanks again for your work.

can't manage how to build it in windows

On 11/28/2020 at 8:34 PM, RainyShadow said:

Both Old Youtube and Good Old Youtube extensions stopped working for me in Serpent52 today. With any of those enabled i just get a json.txt download.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:38 PM, VistaLover said:

Latest Good Old Youtube v1.16.0 (patched to enable installation), with default settings

Hi guys, Good Old Youtube extension works OK for me in Firefox 52, but recently it stopped working for me in Chrome 49 - I also get a json.txt download with contents:

1.jpg.c34774d7bcd5cc4bbedb48d54672d6cd.jpg

Chrome 49 works a bit faster on my Laptop, is there anything I can do to make Good Old Youtube extension work again in Chrome 49?

1 hour ago, we3fan said:

Hi guys, Good Old Youtube extension works OK for me in Firefox 52, but recently it stopped working for me in Chrome 49 - I also get a json.txt download with contents:

1.jpg.c34774d7bcd5cc4bbedb48d54672d6cd.jpg

Chrome 49 works a bit faster on my Laptop, is there anything I can do to make Good Old Youtube extension work again in Chrome 49?

Might be possible to get it working by changing your useragent

Edited by asdf2345

2 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Might be possible to get it working by changing your useragent

Thanks asdf2345, I appreciate it, I spoofed as Chrome 85 on XP and it worked.

Is it possible to have Chrome spoofed only for youtube.com? And for all other sites to work normally as Chrome 49 on XP?