My Browser Builds (Part 2)

On 11/23/2020 at 3:00 PM, gerwin said:

EDIT: I just noticed NM 28.1.0a1  2018-09-22 looks all red in ArcticFoxie's benchmark table. But did you not advise me to use that one for a while? The one in the table is from the 21st. though, 1 day difference.

The 2018-09-22 seems to be the best NM28 on my end.

I haven't focused my table too heavily on comparing v28's throughout the months - my experience has been that 2018-09-22 is about as good as it gets as far as v28.

But v27 beats it hands down and I have other reasons to also prefer v27.

Truth be told, I no longer use any of Roytam's builds but I run benchmarks on new releases every weekend and if they don't beat my current default browser then I delete them and move on.

I should also point out that my recommendation for NM 28.1.0a1 2018-09-22 (I have one-day difference due to Roytam's Time Zone and my Time Zone) had MUCH more to do with what I will call "click-lag" as it did with benchmark numbers.

As far as benchmark numbers go, all of the NM 28's basically lump together relatively close to each other and all of the NM 27's basically lump together relatively close to each other.

With the 27's scoring BETTER than the 28's.

I should add that if you prefer the about:config option of javascript.options.ion set to false that NM 28 especially has gotten slower and slower over the years (the Kraken 1.1 benchmark is a good one that shows that, I may upload another table in the next day or so to demonstrate).

Recently, I have become interested in building https://github.com/roytam1/fx36oldwin

and https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon26/tree/oldvc

from source, but I feel like I'm lost when it comes to the required tools necessary for building. Could you publish a list of tools needed please? Ex. Mozilla-build version, Windows SDK version, etc.

Edited by ClassicNick

23 minutes ago, ClassicNick said:

Recently, I have become interested in building https://github.com/roytam1/fx36oldwin

and https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon26/tree/oldvc

from source, but I feel like I'm lost when it comes to the required tools necessary for building. Could you publish a list of tools needed please? Ex. Mozilla-build version, Windows SDK version, etc.

IIRC you need mozilla-build 1.2 and MSVC 2003 SP1 for fx3.6

and mozilla-build 1.8 and MSVC 2005 SP1 for pm26-oldvc

Edited by roytam1

8 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I should add that if you prefer the about:config option of javascript.options.ion set to false that NM 28 especially has gotten slower and slower over the years (the Kraken 1.1 benchmark is a good one that shows that, I may upload another table in the next day or so to demonstrate).

Performance tables are appreciated.

Maybe it would be appropriate to make a separate topic about speeds/benchmarks of the different Windows XP browser choices? This topic is so crowded already, and not really about the "non-roytam" options.

Here's what I got for several NM 28 versions.

These are with javascript.options.ion set to false.

There's way too many versions to include them all, so I took my preferred v28 (approx 28.2.2) and then every three months from there.

If there is a needle in the haystack that truly shines among the v28's, I have no quick way of finding it.

green = best group of three...  followed by light green...

red = worst group of three...  followed by orange...

2020-11-24_12-26-00.jpg.088f1ffb8cdb179843f045a737021441.jpg

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Do you encounter sites that don't work at all with New Moon 27, but work fine in 28? I prefer the most compatibility, otherwise I could just continue using an older version of vanilla Firefox. Simpler sites compatible with any browser are fast enough anyway. After switching from Opera the speed of New Moon seems excellent for me. : )

Thanks again ArcticFoxie! I will save these summaries of yours, for when I have some time available to compare browsers.

@j7n You are right. With the last Firefox 52.9.0 some pages just never appeared as they should. Like checkout pages. With roytam's NM28 (2018 to 2020 versions) I haven't had such issues. That is the main thing. ( For me a secondary demand is, that there is a workable color changer add-on, to prevent looking at bright white backgrounds. )

3 hours ago, j7n said:

Do you encounter sites that don't work at all with New Moon 27, but work fine in 28?

Nope, NM27 has worked for EVERYTHING that I've thrown at it.

Google Voice is the one exception that doesn't work in NM27 but it also does not work in NM28 (granted, I have not tried for a few months if any recent updates have resolved this).

So I use BNavigator for Google Voice.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious and maybe somebody here can assist.

I use a custom style sheet for Roytam's Index page - http://o.rthost.win/palemoon/?sort=date&order=desc

So that it looks like this -

2020-11-25_10-21-01-small.jpg.40acb30753abda79c12da4ac7b2096d6.jpg

ie, I hide win64, ia32, and sse links and highlight v27 in one color and v28 in another color.

My question is what am I missing to hide or highlight the entire row (include last modified, size, and type)?

Here's the pertinent portion of the custom style sheet -

2020-11-25_10-22-07-small.jpg.c4c22248558d8952f3d9aa8111d05131.jpg

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions.

16 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Nope, NM27 has worked for EVERYTHING that I've thrown at it.

Google Voice is the one exception that doesn't work in NM27 but it also does not work in NM28 (granted, I have not tried for a few months if any recent updates have resolved this).

So I use BNavigator for Google Voice.

How is Google Voice performance on BNavigator? I've had a bad experience using webapps on anything that isn't Chromium based. 

29 minutes ago, sparty411 said:

How is Google Voice performance on BNavigator? I've had a bad experience using webapps on anything that isn't Chromium based. 

Same here if seeking 100% functionality on Google Voice (making phone calls for example).

I have to use VirtualBox + Win7 + Chromium v79 (other versions work, that's just the one I use but don't recall why at the moment) for 100% functionality.

NM27 and NM28 do not select "To" names/numbers from contacts drop-down when sending sms messages.

NM27 and NM28 do not download .csv files from some of my Google Sheets (some work, others do not).

BNavigator works perfectly for sms messaging and .csv files.

But I cannot make phone calls from BNavigator.

29 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

But I cannot make phone calls from BNavigator.

... Making phone calls requires the WebRTC feature to be present in the application, New Moon (either versions) & BNavigator do not support it (by design) ...
 You might try latest Serpent 52 (... its WebRTC implementation is fully spec-compliant, but Google enforce strict racism against anything they, themselves, don't produce/control :realmad: ) ... It's quite probable you'd also have to tweak Serpent's UA to pose as [a] Chromium [variant] to their servers :angry: ...

Edited by VistaLover

I do not believe that a full row highlight is possible to achieve. The other columns are td.m, td.s and td.t, and are not nested under the anchor you use as the key.

What could be the reason why New Moon 28 doesn't release the memory and stop using CPU if I close all tabs? Usually happens after browsing heavy sites. Memory usage still around 700 MB and occasional CPU spikes with everything inside the browser closed.

@ to all

@VistaLover

It seems to me that Twitter also requires the wc polyfill extension developed by Just Off to work with our browsers.

Could you verify better than me that I don't use Twitter?

P.S. I discovered this yesterday, when I read about the death of Takao Yaguchi :( (RIP) the mangaka who created the character of my Avatar (Sanpei).

17 hours ago, j7n said:

I do not believe that a full row highlight is possible to achieve.

Bummer, that's what I was afraid of - I was hoping there was some sort of "conditional child" CSS selector  :}

I found a cheat that works close enough I suppose.

Ultimately I would have preferred to fully hide ia32, sse, and win64 rows within the table to cut down on full-page scroll.

Opted for just keeping all rows then elevating z-index to "hide" last-modified and size cell text for ia32, sse, and win64 rows instead.

2020-11-26_10-18-59.jpg.621d96784ba5eb2409f886f265354c50.jpg

Edited by ArcticFoxie