My Browser Builds (Part 2)

6 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I've personally become INCREASINGLY displeased with "new" web browsers.

I want FAST and EFFICIENT.

Have you ever tried Yandex 17.4.1? It’s a March 2017 version based on Chromium 57 with backporting for XP and Vista. It is fast enough for me on a Vista system with pretty high specs, but it might be interesting to hear your opinion of it.

Can you include Pale Moon Commander into the package? It is a small GUI in the style of existing dialogs for configuring preferences of about:config. A dialog should have been in the browser from day one.

What is your position on extending the Pale Moon browser with functions that do not exist upstream? I am thinking for an easier way of adding search engines (searchable forums, databases, etc.).

The Web, including modern MSFN, unfortunately is among the highest CPU load applications I regularly use. And yet one often can read claims that for web browsing one needs only an inexpensive, low power nettop/netbook... Very nice website Soggi.

13 hours ago, j7n said:

Can you include Pale Moon Commander into the package

Probably not, as this is an extension created by Moonchild himself:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/pm-commander/

What hinders you from downloading+installing it at will? BTW, Moonchild has seemingly lost interest in that extension, it hasn't been updated for close to a year and a half; so it might not work correctly with recent Pale/New Moon (quite a lot has actually changed in about:config since July 2019!)... FWIW, it's meant for "advanced" users, only ;)

13 hours ago, j7n said:

I am thinking for an easier way of adding search engines (searchable forums, databases, etc.).

Can't be easier than simply installing Add to Search Bar v2.9 (via CAA):

caa:addon/add-to-search-bar

And I can't speak for Roytam1, but "extending the Pale Moon browser" is what dedicated extensions are for, is that not the case? If, OTOH, you mean incorporating into the browser core functions that are currently available by existing addons, then this defeats the purpose and will only increase/bloat the browser package size,; and who's to decide what "additional" functions should be added? One person's needs can vary widely from another's...

13 hours ago, j7n said:

The Web, including modern MSFN, unfortunately is among the highest CPU load applications I regularly use.

Well, I can't confirm that here (2008 era Vista SP2 32-bit laptop, 3GB RAM, old Intel Merom Core 2 Duo CPU/integrated GPU); MSFN forums "flows like water" in latest New Moon 28 :thumbup (but, sadly, this is not the case for other, JS-infested, sites like (new) Facebook, polymer Youtube, Instagram, Twitter and related Social Media Satans; it would appear all these "trendy" mobile-device-targeting web designs put a severe tax on old hardware... :( ).

Edited by VistaLover

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Have you ever tried Yandex 17.4.1? It’s a March 2017 version based on Chromium 57 with backporting for XP and Vista. It is fast enough for me on a Vista system with pretty high specs, but it might be interesting to hear your opinion of it.

300+ MB RAM with only the "Tableau" open ???

HECK NO, that's not for me!  (you asked my opinion, lol)

Plus I don't want my browser to use my OS's proxy settings - I know there's probably an extension for that but the 300+ MB RAM with nothing open is a showstopper for me.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

And I can't speak for Roytam1, but "extending the Pale Moon browser" is what dedicated extensions are for, is that not the case? If, OTOH, you mean incorporating into the browser core functions that are currently available by existing addons, then this defeats the purpose and will only increase/bloat the browser package size,; and who's to decide what "additional" functions should be added? One person's needs can vary widely from another's...

Agreed!  I, for one, do NOT want BLOAT added.

I want to go the OTHER WAY and REMOVE (what I feel) is BLOAT already added.

I want FAST and EFFICIENT at its CORE.

"You guys" can slow your browser down all you want with addon after addon and extension after extension.  :thumbdown

"To each their own", as the saying goes.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

The Add to Search Bar plugin will be useful. I like that I can select the icon. What I do not see anywhere in that plugin is an ability to edit the URL of the search query, for example to change the scope, number or results, filters, and so on. Until now I went to the browser\searchplugins\ directory and added the search there, but getting an icon changed was hard because it is encoded.

It does not seem to me that having a settings window is bloat. Most applications (other than web browsers) have that. And in its present form it is 50 KB. But I also won't argue about it. The dialog is a good aid for using visual memory to recall settings. After I install the browser onto a new computer, I can't remember which several dozen options I need to tweak from the flat list.

Firefox with its extensions is very odd. If they (Mozilla, whatever) added a couple more textboxes to Manage Search Engines, it would take way less than 50 kb, and the program would be self-contained, ready to be used out of the box.

Tell me about Youtube... I am trying to press Pause to launch SMPlayer, and it just keeps playing Simon and Joe and Doodahly.

The browser is the most important component of the security configuration.
The first  door to access to internet and therefore the first door for any malware.
I am grateful for the work that Roytam1 does every week.
Not only does using an updated browser allow you to enjoy the web in the best way, but the new added code, at least statistically, can prevent any OS compromises if we browse malformed web pages.
Using an efficient adblocker allows you to browse faster.
Even better with the use of eMatrix or Noscript but not with the default settings.

It is useless to use browsers with the support terminated for years to navigate faster, then if the PC has other ballast such as the antivirus active in real time, etc.

This is my thought.:yes:
Others obviously do what they think is best for them.:thumbup:hello:

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

9 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

There WILL be a day where I will have to switch to Win 7 or 10 or run a Server version (I ran Server 2003 for several years and trial-ran 2008 and 2012).

Why not ReactOS? Win7 is so far away from WinXP...

3 hours ago, j7n said:

Very nice website Soggi.

Thanks! It's only based on hand-coded HTML and CSS except one JavaScript part (Matomo website statistics), also it has a PHP fallback. Apart from this there are few pages with JS from c't Shariff and very few pages with some small hand-coded PHP. The whole JS is not necessary for displaying the content in full quality.

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Well, I can't confirm that here (2008 era Vista SP2 32-bit laptop, 3GB RAM, old Intel Merom 2 Core Duo CPU/integrated GPU); MSFN forums "flows like water" in latest New Moon 28 :thumbup.

Can't say that about NM27 on my Thinkpad T60 with Core 2 Duo T5600 (Merom) and 1 GiB RAM with dozens to hundreds of tabs open (the very most not loaded) - after some clicking it get's overloaded.

kind regards
soggi

16 minutes ago, soggi said:

Can't say that about NM27 on my Thinkpad T60 with Core 2 Duo T5600 (Merom) and 1 GiB RAM with dozens to hundreds of tabs open (the very most not loaded) - after some clicking it get's overloaded.

I just gave into the bloated modern web and purchased 48GB of RAM. Can't run out of RAM if you have server amounts of it.

5 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

I just gave into the bloated modern web and purchased 48GB of RAM. Can't run out of RAM if you have server amounts of it.

Context!? An IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60 can't have 48 GiB RAM...

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

15 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Was talking about my main PC, with a 2700X

But we weren't ( @VistaLover and me) - you just brought yourself into discussion by quoting me, w/o any reference.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

22 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Hi , yes . It's a telemetry monster with tons of connections to Russian ISPs. Definitely not for users looking even for minimal privacy. You're better off with UCBrowser, in that case. It is much faster and there are some portable versions with  partially removed Chinese telemetry. Of course one should install ADBLOCK with Chinese lists checked. And use firewall to block Chinese IPs.

Edited by Dixel

11 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

You may laugh , but actually you can . I never had 48 , but once ran out of memory with some old game that had leaks. It was 32GB DDR3. My page file was disabled.

What is the best extension currently working with Palemoon 28 for blocking advertisements? I want an easy access to the url filter list to amend it, and the least load on the processor. Something like the Opera browser. I am currently using a DNS server, but I want to block some very heavy scripts.