My Browser Builds (Part 2)

8 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@soggi : A small inconsistency I'm seeing at your "mirror" :)

Uhhh...thx for your attention on that, fixed it instantly!

In general, @roytam1hopefully will find some sort of good versioning (for all forks) - i.e. BNavigator and MailNews even don't have any version, so I have to use the date code.

BTW I still have the plan to exclude roytam1's builds to an extra page like I did with the Intel/Ligos codecs - so there's more space to explain things.

kind regards
soggi

"mileage may vary"

I haven't yet concluded if it is 'important' or not that various Roytam browsers "freeze" during the Basemark Web 3.0 test.

My next addition is to browse through the patch lists and find Roytam's version "closest" to Mypal 27.9.4.

Because it seems to me that "newer is NOT better" - we score lower and lower with each new release so I'd rather run an 'old' browser inside my 'old' OS.

The RAM column is with my default profile (eight add-ons) with no page loaded and sitting idle for a few minutes.

2020-11-09_7-36-37.thumb.jpg.0fa6b805795b93f0a4d311af53742fd7.jpg

6 hours ago, soggi said:

i.e. BNavigator and MailNews even don't have any version, so I have to use the date code.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:17 PM, roytam1 said:

@soggi : Each of the above packages contains an application.ini file:

BNavigator:

[App]
Vendor=OpenSource
Name=BNavigator
RemotingName=bnavigator
CodeName=Browser
Version=0.9.7608a1
BuildID=20201106041532
ID={a3210b97-8e8a-4737-9aa0-aa0e607640b9}

MailNews:

[App]
Vendor=OpenSource
Name=MailNews
RemotingName=mailnews
Version=52.9.7608a1
BuildID=20201106032451
ID={3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}

So, there you go! :P
NB: The "7608" part of the version strings is actually build number, so expect it to change in future builds (when full "clobber" is done...) :rolleyes:

Edited by VistaLover

40 minutes ago, Omntech said:

maybe I need to reinstall it?

Which version of CAA are you on? ... And on which browser?
The XPI files are actually hosted on a "storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl.com" domain name,

3VPBaP7.jpg

over HTTPS,

https://storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl.com/amo/xul/239/239381/proxy_tool-1.19-fx+sm.xpi?origin=caa&action=download

, so your system does have to be able to access that domain; check your DNS, firewall, AV suite, content-blockers, etc.

Also, ATN still has v1.17 of Proxy Tool (not v1.19 that you seek, but you may still try it despite...):

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/firefox/addon/proxy-tool/versions/

Edited by VistaLover

On 11/9/2020 at 5:47 PM, VistaLover said:

@soggi : Each of the above packages contains an application.ini file:

So, there you go! :P
NB: The "7608" part of the version strings is actually build number, so expect it to change in future builds (when full "clobber" is done...) :rolleyes:

But this is also inconsistent...PM27 only says

Version=27.9.7
BuildID=20201106031431

So the date is always needed for the specific versioning.

Maybe a little hint @roytam1 to add unique version numbers to every build (like adding a build [bxyz] or release [Rxyz] number after the specific version and including it into the archives file name - there are lots of possibilities). It would be nice, if this would be standardized / unified.

BTW one example... The versioning of Fiferfox 45ESR is very good, the sub-sub-version climbs up with every build (i.e. from 45.9.29 to 45.9.30 last time).

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

1 hour ago, soggi said:

Maybe a little hint @roytam1 to add unique version numbers to every build (like adding a build [bxyz] or release [Rxyz] number after the specific version and including it into the archives file name - there are lots of possibilities). It would be nice, if this would be standardized / unified.

you may consider the datecode in filename as so-called "version numbers"

On various computers using Windows XP with K-Meleon (all versions) I have encountered a problem disabling personalized ad tracking cookies on Google. When I press the option "edit search settings" the pop-up window shows 1 millisecond and then turns white (not allowing time to disable). (on New Moon this works perfectly)

208984684_K-Meleoneditsearchsettings.thumb.jpg.9de008f716f9bc570ab5edf0362b1f38.jpg

1449181052_K-MeleonPaginaenblanco.thumb.jpg.915e4adb09882893b4ce4825ba5b4f01.jpg

Edited by Cixert

On 11/11/2020 at 2:20 PM, roytam1 said:

you may consider the datecode in filename as so-called "version numbers"

Finally, I made a compromise out of this all...for BNavigator and MailNews I took the versioning from application.ini.

kind regards
soggi