My Browser Builds (Part 2)

Hi

11 hours ago, siria said:

Crashing sites with NM 2020-10-31:

In the K-Meleon-Forum a user reported simply changing the useragent fixes the crashes on youtube and facebook:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,153118,153677#msg-153677
(KG76 = engine = NM27)

Which makes me wonder if perhaps they boycott certain old systems again...?

Unrelated, just in general, wonder if toggling this pref may change anything, perhaps at least no crashes? There were reports in the past it sometimes fixes empty pages (who didn't seem to notice their script didn't fully work since console produced no error, or something like that)
javascript.options.strict = true

4 hours ago, roytam1 said:

OK the youtube crash bug is fixed and commited by backing out a patch that is backed out in mozilla.

With the latest version of newmoon 27.9.7 and several tests, the problem of the german portal "www.heise.de" has disappeared

with the solution of siria by activating "javascript.options.strict = true", but the youtube crash continues, obviously the problem is different.:huh:

Edited by IXOYE

Perfect example of why I highly prefer the good-ol'-days when software went through "alpha" and "beta" testing.

Instead of the "nightly" and "weekly" roll out routine where software is no longer actually TESTED before being released to the public.

And we end up with a public with a 'warm and fuzzy' "false sense of security" because they're running that nightly/weekly - and that can't wait five days for an announced bug-fix.

I believe that the public has become blind to the fact that often an "update" INTRODUCES more issues than it 'fixed'.

Us Roytam users need to start calling ourselves what we are - "beta testers".

But I digress  :huh:

On 11/2/2020 at 3:05 AM, ArcticFoxie said:

BNavigator  --  *any* version  (on XP x86 or XP x64)
Does the Download Manager (Ctrl+J) work for anybody with any of the Roytam versions?

Also, with RT BNavigator, does (Right Click menu) 'Save Link Target As' work (download) for you?
Here, that feature has also been dead (nothing happens) for awhile now.

Edited by TechnoRelic

4 hours ago, TechnoRelic said:

Also, with RT BNavigator, does (Right Click menu) 'Save Link Target As' work (download) for you?
Here, that feature has also been dead (nothing happens) for awhile now.

this should be fixed together with download manager in next build

15 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Perfect example of why I highly prefer the good-ol'-days when software went through "alpha" and "beta" testing.

Instead of the "nightly" and "weekly" roll out routine where software is no longer actually TESTED before being released to the public.

And we end up with a public with a 'warm and fuzzy' "false sense of security" because they're running that nightly/weekly - and that can't wait five days for an announced bug-fix.

I believe that the public has become blind to the fact that often an "update" INTRODUCES more issues than it 'fixed'.

Us Roytam users need to start calling ourselves what we are - "beta testers".

But I digress  :huh:

Well, Roytam releases so many different browser builds at once, that it'd be impossible for them to test it out, without hiring many different people to test the browsers.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:55 AM, ArcticFoxie said:

Anyone know how to edit the Help -> About popup box?

I'd like to grammatically correct and update a MyPal version's About popup I keep around for benchmark comparisons and add the release date.

Is this about Mypal or New Moon (per attached image) ? I wasn't using NM27 that far back (as in v27.5.1; official Pale Moon 27 still supported my OS, Vista, I switched to NM28 when PM28 was released) ...

Can you please post a link to that NM 27.5.1 package? If you also supply the details of what should be corrected/added, I might take a look at it... No promises yet... ;)

That NM27 v27.5.1 is from Feodor2's GitHub archive  --  https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal27old/releases

Feodor2's releases were called "New Moon" and didn't take the "Mypal" name until v27.7.2.

His very first release was Mypal but switched back to New Moon "because the most users did not like the name change" (according to GitHub).

From my slipstreamed installation disk, my only browser in March 2017 was GreenBrowser + Proxomitron.

My next archived installation disk isn't until September 2018 and it shows I went to Roytam's v28.1.0a1 32-bit 2018-09-14.

That is from my Acer machine and it's actually only used out in the garage.

My eMachine computer will tell a bigger picture but would also require more digging.

I know that I was using Moonchild's Pale Moon for several months, then Mypal for several months when Moonchild dropped XP, then Chromium only as a backup to Mypal.

Then I eventually landed on Roytam's v28.1.0a1 and only trial-tested Roytam's "weekly" releases but kept v28.1.0a1 as default-for-all.

I personally feel that Roytam's upgrade process is too "rushed" and I have witnessed far too many patches that are later "backed out".

To each their own, we all have different needs and different perspectives.

I am aware that some of those back-outs are upstream also, but some are literally just "typos".

It displeases me that several of these aren't even "discovered" in this forum because the forum-users seem to only notice if YouTube gets broken and nothing more.

All of that has me digging through archives and performing my own tests and seeking out, at least from my perspective, a "mature" version that renders all of my needs.

I'm using various "benchmarks" and attempting to keep "personal preference" out of the picture.

I would like to edit the Help -> About popup boxes in several of these archive versions during my testing process basically with the end-in-mind that one of these is going to become my new default-for-all.  I am still in-process of determining which version that is going to be.

But I do know this, it's NOT going to be Roytam's "latest and greatest" because about:permissions remains broken and I'm getting better benchmark numbers with older versions.

I'm probably not supposed to say that in a forum where we all cheer-lead Roytam because he is doing great work and I'm not trying to undermine that.

I think the Help -> About has to be done to xul.dll but until then I have found that I can do various hides and highlights via Stylem.

5 hours ago, roytam1 said:

a workaround has been pushed to repo.

Good to know, Roy.

And how about the "bookmarks management" trouble in NM27?

Will there be a fix in your upcoming release, please?

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Roy,

A reminder that NM27's about:permissions page is still broken.

The Receive Push Notifications and the Hide the Mouse Pointer options both have not worked for a very long time.

these parts are not imported to repo (yet)