My Browser Builds (Part 2)

On 10/31/2020 at 6:12 PM, VistaLover said:

UXP (Unified XUL Platform) is the name of the platform on which several upstream and downstream (forks) projects are built...

Organisation: Moonchild Productions (MCP)
UXP applications: Pale Moon 28 (+29), Basilisk (52.9.*)

Organisation: Hyperbola (unofficial abbreviation: HBL)
UXP applications: Iceape+Icedove

Organisation: Binary Outcast (offical abbreviation: BinOC, unofficial abbreviation: BOC)
UXP applications: Borealis Navigator+Interlink Mail & News

Thus,
Basilisk/UXP -> Serpent 52.9.0
Basilisk/Moebius -> Serpent 55.0.0 (*)

Pale Moon 27/Tycho -> New Moon 27.9.x (*)
Pale Moon 28[/29]/UXP -> New Moon 28.10.x

Borealis Navigator/UXP -> BNavigator
Interlink Mail & News/UXP -> MailNews

The Hyperbola forks are meant to run only on said Linux distro, but roytam1 has forked them to compile and run on WinXP+...

(*): The Tycho and Moebius official platforms have long been deprecated (and also purged completely from official repositories :( ) , roytam1's forks currently use code from other projects to get updated...

I insert the web page of the add-ons for IceApe:

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:project:iceweasel-uxp_addons

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Yeah!  I was finally able to crash the newest NM27!

The key is that "Warning: Unresponsive Script" error.

I used to get that all the time at my parents' (I carry my browser with me on USB) at Ally Bank.

It was for the longest time the only website I used as an indicator to "upgrade" or not.

If the latest NM27 didn't "fix" that error, then I stayed on my OLD version and opted to NOT "upgrade" (at least not the NM27 on USB).

At least on this end, if I tell that error dialog to "Don't ask again" then the next browser session doesn't crash - the page stops loading but at least the browser didn't crash and there was no error dialog popup.

23 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Including this one, I've done THREE screencaps - only the first was XP x64, the second two are XP x86.

I can NOT reproduce a crash for your YouTube link either.

Nobody else has chimed in one way or another, I at least TRIED to help  :huh:

But you didn't mention, that you tested again under WinXP x86... ;) ...whatever, I don't want any displeasure here  - let's go on!

I noticed you have a relatively recent CPU (i7-4770) and no PAE, the CPUs in my machines are older and have PAE (see screenshots below).

NM27-10-31_system_Opteron.png.d973074158706e50097f4a738ba7c746.png NM27-10-31_system_Core2.png.f8f02610110d0260c5d22fa3bf8f16c6.png

20 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Maybe an Invidious server is an option, if Youtube doesn't play well?

This is not an option and doesn't solve the problem, especially on other websites.

19 hours ago, IXOYE said:

Yes, the problem exists on the Edith Piaf video, but also on youtube constantly and randomly with newmoon 27.9.7 2020/10/31 .:crazy: (no add-on and new profile, win x86 xp2)

No problem with the previous version 27.9.7 2020/10/24:yes:

Thanks for testing again! Yes, the crash occurs on all video pages (not start page and search) on YT. The Édith Piaf "video" was just the first that I took a look of (within another context).

20 hours ago, roytam1 said:

alright I could create a crash here, but the code that crash occur is not changed for long time, I may need more time to debug.

Good to hear you could reproduce the crashes...however it's strange the related code wasn't changed for a considerable time. Take your time, hopefully you'll find a solution!

14 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Yeah!  I was finally able to crash the newest NM27!

The key is that "Warning: Unresponsive Script" error.

Congratulations, but I don't think this is the key as I don't get this message.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

I could never get PAE to work on my two Core Duo older machines so I ended up giving up on it and dropped down to 3GB RAM.

Regarding the "Warning: Unresponsive Script" error  --  here is why I feel it is the culprit.

That error would pop up with NM27 from TWO weeks ago.

That error would pop up with NM27 from THREE weeks ago.

That error would pop up with NM27 from FOUR weeks ago.

That error has been popping up with NM27 (at Ally Bank at least) for TWO YEARS!.

BUT the NEWEST (one weekend ago, just a few days old now) does NOT pop up that "Warning: Unresponsive Script" error  --  it CRASHES instead.

The pop-up "Warning: Unresponsive Script" has nothing to do with a crash - it always occurs in Mozilla based browsers, if there's not enough CPU time (and maybe RAM) to execute one or more scripts within a critical time frame. I get this message for years (w/o a crash) on several pages which are heavily based on JS, no matter if I use FF 52, PM 26.5 or NM27/28.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

Okay, that makes sense.

I only allow scripts on a white-list basis so in the 2+ years I've switched over to NM as my default-for-all, mom and dad's Ally Bank has been the ONLY site where I've seen that pop-up.

And here I've been crossing my fingers that "one of these days", our weekly updates was going to 'fix' that  :buehehe:

Edit:  The i7-4770 is my computer with five widescreen monitors.

I technically do most of these types of tests/upgrades inside a "VirtualBox" environment before ever testing/upgrading on "real" Operating System on other computers.

Good catch for noticing  :thumbup...  But why would I run such a relatively new CPU with only 1GB RAM, lol  :D

Edited by ArcticFoxie

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

But why would I run such a relatively new CPU with only 1GB RAM, lol  :D

I was also asking myself...

But I don't know what other people do with their hardware...my fastest (working) rig is a C2D with 4 GiB and Win7, but not used very often...mostly I'm on the T5600 with 1 GiB RAM.

kind regards
soggi

Today, after resisting for a long time, I added to my NM28 the extension created by Just Off for Github.
It was no longer possible to use the other routes (rules inserted in UBO + block of 1 script).

The extension will be disabled after using Github:

100.jpg

On 11/1/2020 at 2:07 PM, Gansangriff said:

Hopefully, people from countries with a less developed economy discover this, so they can use their XP machines much longer. Thanks to Roytam!

This this this this this.

I cannot stress how much this matters as new equipment is such a pain to get a hold of for lesser developed countries and donated hardware/etc isn't going to be top notch so in the case of countries where the average user doesn't have access to lots of money or needs money for more important stuff in life than a new PC, or for people who just don't need to be spending on new things all the time (also don't forget, people living on benefits alone for instance who are not fit to work in more developed countries or in some other bad financial situation, which kind of applies to myself because I live in shared accomodation).

As arrogant as the upstream developers are being about these type of projects I see no problem with you @roytam1 forking their stuff, backporting it to run on older hardware and essentially in turn possibly doing the world a favour with that too.

Also @Gansangriff I love how meticulously cropped that computer photo is lol.

Crashing sites with NM 2020-10-31:

In the K-Meleon-Forum a user reported simply changing the useragent fixes the crashes on youtube and facebook:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,153118,153677#msg-153677
(KG76 = engine = NM27)

Which makes me wonder if perhaps they boycott certain old systems again...?

Unrelated, just in general, wonder if toggling this pref may change anything, perhaps at least no crashes? There were reports in the past it sometimes fixes empty pages (who didn't seem to notice their script didn't fully work since console produced no error, or something like that)
javascript.options.strict = true

13 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

BNavigator  --  *any* version  (on XP x86 or XP x64)

Does the Download Manager (Ctrl+J) work for anybody with any of the Roytam versions?

alright I'll try to fix it

Anyone know how to edit the Help -> About popup box?

I'd like to grammatically correct and update a MyPal version's About popup I keep around for benchmark comparisons and add the release date.

It's petty, I know, but I know I've been able to do this with other software but I can't seem to with this.

2020-11-02_19-48-24.jpg

On 11/1/2020 at 11:10 PM, IXOYE said:

Hi

Yes, the problem exists on the Edith Piaf video, but also on youtube constantly and randomly with newmoon 27.9.7 2020/10/31 .:crazy: (no add-on and new profile, win x86 xp2)

No problem with the previous version 27.9.7 2020/10/24:yes:

2020-11-01_145935.thumb.png.6de042a8c50a1ebba40171602c4b422d.png

OK the youtube crash bug is fixed and commited by backing out a patch that is backed out in mozilla.