My Browser Builds (Part 2)

Edit: Was caused by a broken extension, not a bug

Discovered a bug with NM27

Left: NM27 Right: Waterfox Classic

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/532676418459402262/770031642810646568/video0.mov

I'm using it with the PMChrome theme, so that's why it looks like Chrome on the left

Edited by asdf2345

Hmm... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but if it is, no idea what.

Is Firefox 45 SSE supposed to run on Windows 7? I'm getting this error.

I downloaded all the Roytam1 browsers yesterday when updating my scripts. Everything seems to work fine except this one, which gives this upon launching:

Capture.PNG.22a37e005c24b01b5b7c8e1bc3c17e87.PNG

This occurs even after installing the 2013 vcredist_x64.exe as some sources suggest.

Second error is "Couldn't load XPCOM"

Edited by Dylan Cruz

18 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

This occurs even after installing the 2013 vcredist_x64.exe as some sources suggest.

You need x86 variant in this case.

This looks like an oversight though as runtime libraries are supposed to be bundled with the browser, so roytam1 should add the missing vcomp120.dll.

I personally delete all such runtime DLLs from programs' folder and let them use the ones installed system-wide. Some, but not all Firefox browsers' dependentlibs.list file contains those DLLs' names, they should be deleted from it to avoid "Couldn't load XPCOM" error after deleting the DLLs.

2 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

You need x86 variant in this case.

Because I'm using an x64 OS?

This looks like an oversight though as runtime libraries are supposed to be bundled with the browser, so roytam1 should add the missing vcomp120.dll.

That would be much appreciated @roytam1

Strange others have not had this issue.

I personally delete all such runtime DLLs from programs' folder and let them use the ones installed system-wide. Some, but not all Firefox browsers' dependentlibs.list file contains those DLLs' names, they should be deleted from it to avoid "Couldn't load XPCOM" error after deleting the DLLs.

What's the reason for doing this exactly? In this case, it seems there's no guarantee that would be installed in the first place, so this could backfire by not working for many.

32 minutes ago, win32 said:

Do you have the Visual C++ 2013 runtime installed?

Yes

2 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/532676418459402262/770031642810646568/video0.mov

I'm using it with the PMChrome theme, so that's why it looks like Chrome on the left

No bug here - so it's your PMChrome theme, I suspect.

5 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

No bug here - so it's your PMChrome theme, I suspect.

It looks like one of my addons was causing the problem. Not used to not being able to use Jetpack extensions, so I had to install some I've never tested.

1 hour ago, win32 said:

though you need the 32bit runtime for 32bit programs and the 64bit runtime for... you know.

Ok, NOW it works, silly me!

Apparently this browser is called Nightly. As in nightly builds? I don't know. Neat name, nonetheless. Trying to get it sorted out in my head:

Pale Moon -> New Moon

Basilisk -> Serpent

Firefox 45 -> Nightly

Borealis -> Browser

And of course Interlink -> MailNews

Wonder if any of the shortcut names should be changed now, e.g. Firefox 45 SSE -> Nightly, etc.

2 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Well that's interesting, just checked it out,

How do you get the address bar to show up below the tabs like in Chrome?

Just now, Dylan Cruz said:

Well that's interesting, just checked it out,

How do you get the address bar to show up below the tabs like in Chrome?

Need to edit the post, figured out it was an addon I had installed.

For the tabs, you need to right click the address bar, the area between the buttons and the urlbar works, then select tabs on top, which is the second option from the bottom

11 hours ago, dmiranda said:

IT runs with no problem, but many times it says "the file doesnt exist" when opening using double click. Opening from inside notepad++ (file>open) works fine, even identifying the relevant directory from which the failed double clicked file was originally launched. If anyone has had this issue and have  solution, please share it. Cheers!

Ähm...that's kind of OT, but I want to answer, though.

I don't use either way to open files, I only open files via drag'n'drop - there are no file type associations to Notepad++ (don't want to open Notepad++ to just view a simple readme.txt or something similar).

First I would try to reproduce this behavior with a second machine (and maybe a third). If it is reproduceable, I would contact the programmer. In case of contacting the programmer, I would also tell him that there is a certain community using WinXP and that many people appreciate Notepad++ still supports it.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

(NB: OT content, NPP related ;) )

21 hours ago, dmiranda said:

many times it says "the file doesn't exist" when opening using double click.

It's probably Notepad++ bug #8010 on XPSP3/2003SP2, which started with NPP v7.8.3 :(

10 hours ago, soggi said:

there are no file type associations to Notepad++ (don't want to open Notepad++ to just view a simple readme.txt or something similar).
... If it is reproducible, I would contact the programmer. ... I would also tell him that there is a certain community using WinXP and that many people appreciate Notepad++ still supports it.

Notepad++ bug #8010 was closed as WONTFIX; dail8859, a member of NPP's organisation, plainly states that XP is not supported anymore:

...due to the age and lack of support for XP and 2003, it is not reasonable to expect bugs to be fixed that are specific to these versions.
 If Notepad++ works to some extent on XP and/or 2003 still, then great... but beyond that, either live with the flaws or stay on older versions of the software.

-_-

16 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Not used to not being able to use Jetpack extensions, so I had to install some I've never tested.

A number of Jetpack SDK extensions can be force-installed (but non-guaranteed they'll function as designed) in NM27 via the Moon Tester Tool extension (v1.0.2 should be preferred in NM27, because it also supports Firefox Complete Themes and Mozilla dictionaries ;) ; both were dropped in recent Pale Moon 28.1x.*/29.0.0a6, thus latest MTT 2.0.1 also axed support for those... :o)

On 10/24/2020 at 7:00 PM, asdf2345 said:

How hard would it be to add Jetpack support to New Moon 27?

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/120

was the upstream UXP issue that tracked this for the transition Pale Moon 27/Tycho -> Pale Moon 28/UXP :rolleyes: