My Browser Builds (Part 2)

On 10/21/2020 at 4:45 PM, IXOYE said:

I had the bad idea to take the latest version 1.15.2 of "Good Old Youtube" with the VistaLover modification. The add on has been changed to no longer work with Serpent 52

Latest version of G-O-YT, 1.15.2, installs and functions perfectly fine in St52 as long as the correct modification to its manifest.json file has been performed, which is probably where you messed-up... :P

f1IBFKk.jpg

UDOZXrD.jpg

@vikmin : Since Serpent 52 does not observe extension-signing, you can also do away fully with the META-INF directory... ;)

Those not confident modifying source code files, may switch to Old Youtube, which was updated to v2.1.1 :P (I prefer myself the G-O-YT one because it's more failproof than O-YT :yes: ).

NB: Serpent 52 does NOT currently search AMO for WE updates, so you must yourself do so (e.g. bookmarking both extensions' "versions" pages on AMO and visiting periodically...). Do keep in mind both extensions are just "hacks", they may break at any time, when Google completely obliterate the classic GUI's files from YT servers... :(

Edited by VistaLover

How does one write a simple extension for NM27?

It has to modify requests to YT by adding pbj=1 to the address and the following two headers:

X-YouTube-Client-Name: 1
X-YouTube-Client-Version: 1.20200731.02.01

I tried looking in existing extensions to modify one, but just couldn't wrap my head around all that JS...

Doing these manually i was able to load the classic layout.

[edit]

These numbers are from the Good old youtube extension, Old youtube has the number 1.20200806.01.01 instead

Edited by RainyShadow

9 hours ago, IXOYE said:

Hi

I had the bad idea to take the latest version 1.15.2 of "Good Old Youtube" with the VistaLover modification. The add on has been changed to no longer work with Serpent 52.:dubbio:

Try this for manifest.json if you're still having trouble, it works for me:

{
  "name": "Good Old YouTube",
  "manifest_version": 2,
  "version": "1.15.2",
  "description": "Switch back to classic YouTube interface!",
  "default_locale": "en",
  "icons": {
    "96": "images/logo.svg"
  },
  "background": {
    "scripts": [
      "shared.js",
      "options/default-options.js",
      "logger.js",
      "reconstruct.js",
      "background.js"
    ]
  },
  "content_scripts": [
    {
      "matches": [
        "https://www.youtube.com/*"
      ],
      "css": [
        "styles/hide-alert.css"
      ],
      "js": [
        "shared.js",
        "content-script.js"
      ],
      "run_at": "document_start"
    }
  ],
  "options_ui": {
    "page": "options/options.html"
  },
  "permissions": [
    "https://www.youtube.com/*",
    "storage",
    "webRequest",
    "webRequestBlocking"
  ],
  "applications": {
    "gecko": {
      "id": "{482060de-6804-4020-a1b9-16dc012a3c93}"
    }
  }
}

15 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I did point out that as far as browser preference goes, that the reality is that nobody can answer that question but you (the person that was asking which browser to use).

It wasn't me who asked, it was @x_orange90_x. :)
I myself am pleased with NM27 (except the missing Wayback Machine time line bar, the missing language pack is bearable).

15 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I only use EIGHT add-ons so I don't doubt that my needs are for sure less "broad" than others.

Actually I also have eight addons installed, but only need six of them (Adblock Latitude, Cache Status, Html Validator, NoScript, Vacuum Places Improved, Versions (wfx_versions)) - the other two (DownThemAll!, User Agent Switcher) aren't very important. Maybe I should add some cookie manager and maybe I should add some add-ons to my page, as the archive for old add-ons vanished sometime ago.

@VistaLover:
Thanks for the info - it was also my thought
, that this is caused by modern JS and stuff. Hopefully there is a way...else I have to change to NM28. :wacko:

BTW:
roytam1's server seems to be down again!?

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

Notice: right now the domain has been taken by freenom again, for now I have no domain for cloudflare's proxification. tried registering new freenom account but I can't register new domain with new account. maybe I have to take out credit card and buy domain from others(i.e. no more free)

@roytam1:

If you need help (uploading possibility) in the meanwhile, let me know...I could create an account for that. This is what I can do to say "Thanks for your browser builds!".

So you would have the time to do the search for an appropriate provider.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

19 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

right now the domain has been taken by freenom again, for now I have no domain for cloudflare's proxification

So sorry to hear about this :( but, to be honest, was kind of expecting it to happen, if one takes into perspective their previous record: 

o.rthost.cf was taken down on ca. Oct 21st 2018;
o.rths.cf was taken down on ca. Oct 8th 2019; and (not surprisingly)
o.rths.ml has been taken down on Oct 22nd 2020... :(

... As you can tell, they are being consistent, allowing you a free domain for the duration of (approximately) a whole calendar year (and, as I recall, a maximum of 3 [free] domains can be granted to a free "freenom" account holder) ...

Edited by VistaLover

17 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

...modify requests to YT by adding pbj=1 to the address and the following two headers:

X-YouTube-Client-Name: 1
X-YouTube-Client-Version: 1.20200731.02.01

This can be done relatively easy using an older program called "Proxomitron".

Huge fan!  Couple it with GreenBrowser and that was my default-for-everything combination for a good 4-5 years or so.

The creator passed away a few years back but there is a recent project being updated every once in a while.

Though might be easier to see if a NM27 addon can be created.

HI

19 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Latest version of G-O-YT, 1.15.2, installs and functions perfectly fine in St52 as long as the correct modification to its manifest.json file has been performed, which is probably where you messed-up... :P

11 hours ago, DanR20 said:

Try this for manifest.json if you're still having trouble, it works for me:

I have tried being scrupulously careful with the "Vistalover" and "DanR20" script by opening the archive with 7z and replacing the "manifest.json" file and it does not work on my system. Serpent 52 informs me that the "xpi" file is corrupted.

20 hours ago, vikmin said:

Strangely, I did the same action using the "manifest.json" file from the "Vikmin" xpi and it worked. I think the act of copying the script from the website and pasting it into the Windows Notepad opened "manifest.json" file must be causing problems on my system.

Thank you all for your help...:thumbup
I will use for future updates of "Good Old Youtube" the "manifest.json" file from Vikmin

5 hours ago, S75 said:

how i can install that ''Good Old Youtube'' extension in NM27 or it not support it any way?

The Firefox add-on is of a type called Web Extension (Mozilla's attempt to ape Chromium extension format; search for more info...); Pale Moon, of which New Moon 27/28 is an unofficial fork, has never supported Web Extensions (by choice of its developers), thus 'Good Old Youtube' can't be installed in New Moon...

Try Serpent 52.9.0 (the ia32 build should run on non-SSE2 CPUs, if you fall into that category) ... Sadly, at this very moment, Roytam1's binary repository is DOWN, so you may have to kindly ask for that among members here... :dubbio:

3 hours ago, IXOYE said:

I think the act of copying the script from the website and pasting it into the Windows Notepad opened "manifest.json" file must be causing problems on my system.

Window's Notepad is unsuitable for editing code <_< ; as @nicolaasjan suggested, use for such tasks a dedicated code/text editor, with coloured syntax themes; proper code editors will automatically identify syntax errors (e.g. missing brackets, commas, etc.) and alert you about them (e.g. by highlighting the error block in a different colour or poping up a notification, etc...) ;)
[Another thing to consider when using Notepad is the encoding format when saving a modified file; usually Notepad saves a file as ANSI, but several code files need to be saved as Unicode/UTF-8 instead...]

Edited by VistaLover