My Browser Builds (Part 2)

3 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

You know, this is probably off-topic for this thread, but I'm wondering if there's any interest in forking Chromium/Iron/Chrome at some point?

SRWare Iron is Chrome without the privacy crap.

Unfortunately, it just blindly follows Chrome on everything else, so I can't upgrade that, either. I'm still using Iron 70 from October 2018. I'm seeing a lot of "your browser is not supported" notifications, and so far everything works, but I'm wondering for how long that will be the case.

Since Chromium is open source, conceivably it might be simple to take out the bad change from v71 and integrate all the other updates, and have a fully updated browser without the awful UI changes? Just wondering. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...

I wish someone forked modern Chrome and brought back the entire Chromium 40-48 UI

49 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

I wish someone forked modern Chrome and brought back the entire Chromium 40-48 UI

Yeah...

Chromium 70 is the last usable one. After that, it's all metro/modern UI junk. No thanks. That was the straw that broke my back. I refuse to use any Chromium product newer than 70, until that's addressed, which will probably be "never" in an official capacity. Chrome devs literally said switch browsers if you don't like that, that's how much they don't give a crap anymore...

3 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

Chrome devs literally said switch browsers if you don't like that, that's how much they don't give a crap anymore...

Well, it worked, I went from using Chromium to using Waterfox Classic

Just now, asdf2345 said:

Isn't this just like Firefox ESR 52.9?

I've found that FF/forks just use way more memory for some reason, so I find myself mostly using Iron. Otherwise, New Moon is pretty sick.

5 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

I've found that FF/forks just use way more memory for some reason, so I find myself mostly using Iron. Otherwise, New Moon is pretty sick.

Waterfox Classic is Firefox 56 but improved in terms of addon compatibility, webpage compatibility, and more.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, VistaLover said:

PS: Let's all hope that upstream get a wake-up call with this recent GitHub debacle and decide to focus on fully implementing Web Components on UXP sooner rather than later... Then we wouldn't have to install workarounds to get GitHub working (at least those of us that need it working...) :whistle:

If someone were to download upstream's UXP source code, will the 1/2 implemented Shadow DOM v1 related commits be included?

1 hour ago, Dylan Cruz said:
1 hour ago, asdf2345 said:

:angry: It looks as though no-one really pays any attention to the stuff I post :( :(; I mentioned WF Classic just in the previous page...

On 10/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, VistaLover said:

The add-on itself has been probably inspired by the WebExtension add-on Polly, that was created for Waterfox Classic users to mitigate GitHub's breakage on Oct 14th 2020... Polly targets a Firefox 56 fork, which has a lot more WebExtension APIs than either Serpent 52.9.0 or Centaury;

On 10/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, VistaLover said:

additionally, "legacy" browsers like Pale Moon, Basilisk, Waterfox [Classic] (Fx56-based) were "whitelisted"

... And the recent OT discussion about browsers that do NOT launch and run on XP (/Vista) should be better continued in one of the Win7+ subforums... Just my 2 (euro)cents... :whistle:

Edited by VistaLover

46 minutes ago, ClassicNick said:

If someone were to download upstream's UXP source code, will the 1/2 implemented Shadow DOM v1 related commits be included?

Shadow DOM v1 implementation on UXP is being tracked (by upstream) in

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1375

Related implementations tracked in:

Custom Elements v1

Google WebComponents

... so the answer to your question is yes... FWIW, are you in any capacity to lend a hand towards implementing the remaining "1/2 of Shadow DOM v1" and/or expediting the full implementation of the rest of the Google-spawned web technologies?

Edited by VistaLover

39 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... so the answer to your question is yes... FWIW, are you in any capacity to lend a hand towards implementing the remaining "1/2 of Shadow DOM v1" and/or expediting the full implementation of the rest of the Google-spawned web technologies?

If I can do it, anyone could have done it... I could try taking a stab at it though.

Hi, new member here! I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of guidance here. I have an old Windows XP laptop that I'm trying to get somewhat modernly-capable internet wise. I have downloaded Maxthon 5 and so far that's the best I've tried but it's still not that great and the Invalid Certificate messages are quite annoying.

It seems the community here has a plethora of browsers/builds that still support XP, but after looking through much of these 130+ pages I still don't know what I should be downloading or even clicking on. 

I'd like YouTube playback if possible, but at the least something that can access websites without errors or partial loading.

The laptop is a Celeron M 1.4Ghz with 1gb of RAM and running Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks!

"Here we go again", as the saying goes.

I am not a "fan" of these types of questions - the reality is that NOBODY can answer this question but YOU.

But, having said that, I admit that I also asked the same question when I was "new".

I have ran everything from GreenBrowser to Iron to Maxthon to Sleipnir to SlimBrowser to Chromium to Chrome to Firefox to Opera to Waterfox to Vivaldi to Comodo Dragon to QupZilla to Falkon to SeaMonkey to Pale Moon to MyPal to BNavigator to New Moon to ArcticFox and another good dozen or so I just cannot remember at the moment.

I also consider myself a bit of a "tweaker".

I take CPU temperature, processor percentage, and RAM usage into account (I've attached a YouTube test for reference, "mileage my vary").

It's not "all about" whether YouTube will play or not.

My computer-room computer NEVER plays YouTube - it's for paying bills, tracking finances, reading news, et cetera - it runs New Moon v27 and nothing more.

My living-room laptop (below screencap) does play YouTube and sends it to the Big Screen TV - it runs Chromium v49 and none of Roy Tam builds has dethroned Chromium v49 for "my" YouTube needs.

Untitled.gif

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Semi-OT: Home-movement is finished(of course most of packed boxes are not released in this moment, and many of them may not be released during this ~2 months period) and server is relocated to new location. lets hope next build will be on time.

Edited by roytam1