My Browser Builds (Part 2)

9 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

Interesting, would you suggest posing as a Interlink user there and asking them to fix it?

Only if you can reproduce the issue using Interlink on your main Windows 7 system. They will blow a fuse if they realize you are using roytam1’s version on XP or Vista!

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Only if you can reproduce the issue using Interlink on your main Windows 7 system.

... Even if the "issue" can be reproduced using official Interlink on a sanctioned Windows OS version and even if the "issue" is acknowledged as a genuine bug by M.A.T. (one person's "unfathomably unacceptable" could very well equate "take it or leave it" in M.A.T.'s universe :angry:) and even if the bug is fixed, the fix will arrive to the reporting user only in binary form, via a future Interlink build release :}; i.e., the Binary Outcast source code repository being private, the fix in source code form (commit) won't be public, thus not portable to the fork (Mail News) in a straightforward fashion... :rolleyes:

@Dylan Cruz: Do you now see the broader picture? :huh:

Yahoo in these days updated security when accessing their mail from unofficial or non-Yahoo apps.

This just to confirm that the mozilla snippet for 0auth2 authentication of Yahoo mail recently provided by Sampei.Nihirna and implemented in MailNews by our developer works fine.

Thank you to folks at Mozilla, Sampei.Nihirna and roytam1.

5 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

Interesting, would you suggest posing as a Interlink user there and asking them to fix it?

Even if they did, the fix would stay private...

[edit]

Oops, didn't notice there was another page :P

Edited by RainyShadow

13 hours ago, flusspferd said:

Yahoo in these days updated security when accessing their mail from unofficial or non-Yahoo apps.

This just to confirm that the mozilla snippet for 0auth2 authentication of Yahoo mail recently provided by Sampei.Nihirna and implemented in MailNews by our developer works fine.

Thank you to folks at Mozilla, Sampei.Nihirna and roytam1.

Thanks for your testimony.
My contribution was very small, the credit goes to our Roytam1.:thumbup

After all, our aim, which unites all MSFN members, is this.
Contribute to lend a hand to everyone, according to our possibilities.:yes:

P.S.

My Nick Name (Sampei Nihira) is a tribute to a Japanese manga that takes its name in English:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisherman_Sanpei

Sanpei è un ragazzo di circa tredici anni che ha una grande passione per la pesca....In ogni episodio cerca di apprendere il maggior numero di tecniche e segreti per diventare un perfetto pescatore.Quello che interessa maggiormente a Sanpei non è tanto il successo nella pesca, ma la disciplina interiore per potersi migliorare. Ogni volta Sanpei vuole insegnare il saper perdere ed il saper accettare la superiorità degli avversari. Inoltre, la serie trasmette alcuni valori come il rispetto dell'ambiente soprattutto contro le distruzioni selvagge degli industriali e dei costruttori, l'amore per la natura, la possibilità di riscatto per chi ha sbagliato e l'origine sociale o familiare della malvagità di alcune persone.

Sampei gives me the opportunity to remember my youth at any time.
And this memory warms my heart, almost a hug from so many loved ones that at my age I lost forever.

Forgive this OT.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Today i found the github is broken, i do not able to upload files.

The error in the console is

could not resolve ./compat.js, timeout after 10 seconds

Seems all our browsers affected, please look if it possible to do something.

2 hours ago, feodor2 said:

Today I found out that GitHub is broken, I'm not able to upload files.
The error in the console is:

could not resolve ./compat.js, timeout after 10 seconds

Seems all our browsers are affected, please look if it's possible to do something.

Upstream support forum thread:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=25435

Workaround, that will restore ~ 95% of GitHub's lost functionality:

Install github-wc-polyfill-1.0.3.xpi from:

https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill/releases/tag/1.0.3

All credit goes to (upstream) Ukrainian developer @JustOff ; however, that extension was created with official Pale Moon in mind, hence its install.rdf file has:

<em:minVersion>28.14.0</em:minVersion>

Should install as is on Mypal 28.14.x (if that's what you want it for :P ), but to install on latest New Moon 28, one has to edit that line to read:

<em:minVersion>28.10.2a1</em:minVersion>

The add-on itself has been probably inspired by the WebExtension add-on Polly, that was created for Waterfox Classic users to mitigate GitHub's breakage on Oct 14th 2020... Polly targets a Firefox 56 fork, which has a lot more WebExtension APIs than either Serpent 52.9.0 or Centaury; as a result, Polly will install on Serpent/Centaury, but won't work as designed... :(

Additionally, Waterfox Classic users can (mostly) fix GitHub by toggling dom.webcomponents.enabled to true but, while the same pref does exist in UXP browsers, Web Components support in UXP is extremely unripe/at a very early stage... 

FYI, github-wc-polyfill extension embeds a base64encoded copy of

https://unpkg.com/browse/@webcomponents/webcomponentsjs@2.4.4/webcomponents-bundle.js

https://github.com/webcomponents/polyfills/tree/master/packages/webcomponentsjs#using-webcomponents-bundlejs

=======================================

Some background:

Before the Microsoft buyout (:angry:) , GitHub would support the latest version of major browsers like Google Chrome, IE/old Microsoft Edge, Safari, Firefox, and care would be taken to not break the current ESR version of Firefox; additionally, "legacy" browsers like Pale Moon, Basilisk, Waterfox (Fx56-based) were "whitelisted" and treated in a special manner so as to remain compatible, but still on a best-effort basis...

It well appears that now the "old" team of GitHub developers, the ones sympathetic to "legacy" browsers, have been set aside by the new management, which is hardly any surprise as Microsoft have colluded with evil Google, the net effect being that currently GitHub only caters to the four iterations of Chromium that dominate the browser market :realmad: (Google's Chromium=Chrome, Microsoft's Chromium=[New] MS Edge, Apple's Chromium=Safari and Mozilla's Chromium-wannabe=Firefox [Quantum] :angry: :realmad: ) ...

Edited by VistaLover
v1.0.3 has been just released

@Sampei.Nihira : You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion, this is a (mostly) democratic community of users, but as a person whose workflow relies on GitHub (a member since 2014), not installing that linked extension by JustOff means my only other recourse on my current OS (Vista SP2 32-bit without Extended Kernel) would've been (abandoning New Moon 28 and) switching to a 360 Extreme Explorer variant (even v11, Chromium 69 based, was tested to work OK on GitHub)...

:P ;)

PS: Let's all hope that upstream get a wake-up call with this recent GitHub debacle and decide to focus on fully implementing Web Components on UXP sooner rather than later... Then we wouldn't have to install workarounds to get GitHub working (at least those of us that need it working...) :whistle:

14 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

...my only other recourse on my current OS (Vista SP2 32-bit without Extended Kernel) would've been (abandoning New Moon 28 and) switching to a 360 Extreme Explorer variant (even v11, Chromium 69 based, was tested to work OK on GitHub)...

Slightly OT, but I wonder if Yandex 17 with (once) experimental JavaScript features enabled might still be useful for GitHub users running XP or vanilla Vista?

22 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@Sampei.Nihira : You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion, this is a (mostly) democratic community of users, but as a person whose workflow relies on GitHub (a member since 2014), not installing that linked extension by JustOff means my only other recourse on my current OS (Vista SP2 32-bit without Extended Kernel) would've been (abandoning New Moon 28 and) switching to a 360 Extreme Explorer variant (even v11, Chromium 69 based, was tested to work OK on GitHub)...

:P ;)

PS: Let's all hope that upstream get a wake-up call with this recent GitHub debacle and decide to focus on fully implementing Web Components on UXP sooner rather than later... Then we wouldn't have to install workarounds to get GitHub working (at least those of us that need it working...) :whistle:

I understand your point of view.

2 hours ago, feodor2 said:

Does this not violate mozilla license mentioned?

... Not according to the M.A.T. person, who claims a supreme knowledge of even the "finest letters" of the MPL-2 licence:

On 9/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, VistaLover said:
On 9/20/2020 at 8:17 AM, LoneCrusader said:

These "private" repository issues are another aspect which we must figure out with regard to the licensing conditions. I see this "behavior" as simply an attempt to create more hassle for anyone who wishes to build the code for themselves..

I think that part was explained previously by M.A.T; hosting the source code of one project covered by MPL-2 in a private repo does not make it Closed Source; whenever the code author releases an executable form (binary) of the code, he has the obligation to provide, by reasonable means, access to the source code that was used to compile the executable form; "reasonable" means could very well be a link to a source tarball or, upon user request, dispatch of the used source via a physical storage medium (the cost of which should be covered by the user requesting it...); what's more important is the fact that the publicly revealed source code does not carry the "buildability" obligation, that is any additional "hack" used by the author to compile the source into an executable form can remain private...

You know, this is probably off-topic for this thread, but I'm wondering if there's any interest in forking Chromium/Iron/Chrome at some point?

SRWare Iron is Chrome without the privacy crap.

Unfortunately, it just blindly follows Chrome on everything else, so I can't upgrade that, either. I'm still using Iron 70 from October 2018. I'm seeing a lot of "your browser is not supported" notifications, and so far everything works, but I'm wondering for how long that will be the case.

Since Chromium is open source, conceivably it might be simple to take out the bad change from v71 and integrate all the other updates, and have a fully updated browser without the awful UI changes? Just wondering. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...