My Browser Builds (Part 2)

10 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

NM27 Javascript engine is kinda old, it fails to execute that.

I use NM 28, i do not use 27. I also checked with new versions of 28 and it not working. Rozetka is VERY big and important site, so i ask could be browser itself modified? It's not small shop, it's like Ukrainian analogue of amazon - and it is in top-10 in list of most popular sites in Ukraine.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:54 PM, Rod Steel said:

New Moon does not show pictures of products in thumbnail mode on popular site rozetka. <clipped> Here is example of page that <clipped> New Moon does not show pictures of products:

https://rozetka.com.ua/ua/mugskie-krossovki/c4634865/producer=puma;sort=popularity/

On 10/3/2020 at 9:10 PM, Rod Steel said:

I use NM 28, i do not use 27. I also checked with new versions of 28 and it not working. Rozetka is VERY big and important site,

My extensive tests contradict your reports! :dubbio:

Using the very latest New Moon 28 package (32-bit on Vista SP2 x86) with a pristine NEW browser profile, and the "lazy-loaded" images of products (sport-shoes in your linked example) DO LOAD eventually, fully:

buyXFxP.jpg

and on a selected item's subpage:

9XPsIQ5.jpg

Proof of used browser:

bfp0I69.jpg

... So, it is my educated guess that something on your side is breaking things :}

I would first check with a new clean NM28 profile (like I did myself), and if you can't reproduce, then there's something in your customised profile (user-set prefs, extension-related changes, etc...) that causes this brekage... I would start with privacy related about:config settings and/or content blocking extensions (ad/script blockers, etc...)

If, however, you can reproduce in a clean profile, then the culprit is system-wide (but you saying you can view the images with Serpent 52 pretty much rules that out...)... FWIW, the images are loaded from "*.rozetka.ua" domains, over HTTPS (TLS 1.2 in my case), e.g.

https://i8.rozetka.ua/goods/17624553/puma_4062451528768_images_17624553343.jpg

puma_4062451528768_images_17624553343.jp

:dubbio: :P

Edited by VistaLover

15 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Using the very latest New Moon 28 package (32-bit on Vista SP2 x86) with a pristine NEW browser profile, and the "lazy-loaded" images of products (sport-shoes in your linked example) DO LOAD eventually, fully:

Well, yea you are right i just didn't load the last version, but i tried several times this year earlier and it didn't work back then. Even without pristine new profile it is working now. I just should use current version for tests not relay on old 2020 versions. Oops.:whistle: Anyway, thank you VistaLover! NM28.10.2a1 (32-bit) (2020-10-02) is showing rozetka correctly on XP.

P.S. The reason why i still use 28.3.0a1 (2018-12-21) version i described in my 2020-09-11 September post here - it is the last version before video playback become choppy and laggy. Probably because Roytam1 updated then ffmpeg for av1 support. So i steal ask - can be created for tests experimental new NM version with ffmpeg from 28.3.0a1 (2018-12-21) release? I would like to test it for speed and smoothness of video playback.

28 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

and on a selected item's subpage:

Yea, it look like it created for fans of Neon Genesis Evangelion. :cool:

22 hours ago, roytam1 said:

like blogger's comments?

Nah - a fullblown web-forum for support on your stuff work work better (like this but just for your browser projects, kinda like how K-Meleon kindly did that for you). This is a worthy enough project that deserves it. :)

Edited by MintChocAero

18 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

P.S. The reason why i still use 28.3.0a1 (2018-12-21) version i described in my 2020-09-11 September post here - it is the last version before video playback become choppy and laggy. Probably because Roytam1 updated then ffmpeg for av1 support. So i steal ask - can be created for tests experimental new NM version with ffmpeg from 28.3.0a1 (2018-12-21) release? I would like to test it for speed and smoothness of video playback.

Hi

Provide few examples, how do they plays with media.ffvpx.enabled - false

I examined ffmpeg on roytams uxp, he did not add av1 support, only updated slightly,  while i have questions about some things regarding ffmpeg

what purpose of this patch from Sami<samiwieciekto at gmail.com> with pref guard?

why on some sites (twitter) playback depends on firefox compatibility settings, if not set it the sound plays distorted?

Edited by feodor2

2 hours ago, feodor2 said:

Hello there @feodor2 :)

That code was probably ported from Arctic-Fox, a Tycho (Pale Moon 27's platform) fork targeting mainly old Macs:

Part1:
https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/commit/9e6e13a15ae60fc4379b9dd0dd26969784b13a53
Part2:
https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/commit/bc40f1eb67037a878c0b270f72efb3076cfcf01e

That code there affects only FFmpeg's h264 decoder but, by the looks of it, is turned OFF by default; you'd have to create the hidden about:config boolean pref:

media.ffmpeg.skip_loop_filter

and set it to true to make use of it... :whistle:

2 hours ago, feodor2 said:

why on some sites (twitter) playback depends on firefox compatibility settings, if not set it the sound plays distorted?

I can't speak from experience, because under Vista SP2 32-bit I'm not seeing (rather... hearing :P! ) this bug ;) ; but having followed closely related discussions in the past, I can surmise that:

Twitter don't care at all for a Pale Moon user-agent (or any other non-mainstream browser they don't support :angry: ), so they are treating it as a generic mobile device browser, thus feeding it with a lower quality/bandwidth audio stream encoded in the HE-AAC (v1/v2) profile (more here); most times, they stream using either AppleHLS and/or MPEG-DASH (i.e. fragmented streams), rather than progressive download streams; the ffvpx library patch (to contain additional h.264/aac decoding support) is just a hack to cater to Windows XP's lack of Windows Media Foundation (WMF), i.e. native patented decoders; it hasn't been identified, yet :(, where exactly things break, but the patched ffvpx can't cope fully with HE-AAC over fragmented (aka adaptive bitrate ) streams, hence the audio distortion under XP (NB: On Vista+, NM28 makes use of WMF decoders [media.wmf.enabled;true] and this issue does not manifest itself... :P).

Switching to Firefox compatibility UA-mode (or using a Firefox SSUAO for twitter.com) allows Twitter to treat NM28 as a desktop browser and thus it is fed audio in the higher quality/bandwidth AAC-LC format (and possibly via progressive HTTP streams) that ffvpx can decode more efficiently... But YMMV, especially between various sites...

Kind regards :)

Edited by VistaLover

Hello roytam1.

Have you thought about forking Tor Browser 7.5.6?
This is the latest version Tor Browser for WinXP. TB 7.5.6 is based on FF 52.9 ESR.
For example, may add support for TLS 1.3 and compatible security patches.
TB is still in demand for bypassing censorship.

Thanks again for your work.

roytam1, in KM-Goanna and NewMoon 27 there are two errors.

layers.offmainthreadcomposition.async-animations - false (Firefox 41 - true) https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Performance/CSS_JavaScript_animation_performance

If an element is promoted as a layer, animating transform properties can be done in the GPU, meaning better  performance/efficiency, especially on mobile.

KM-Goanna and NewMoon 27 - does not automatically turn on Direct3D9 acceleration. Must be enabled layers.prefer-d3d9 - true

Computers on which these browsers are installed very rarely have DirectX10+ video cards. And they are usually installed on Windows XP. There's no reason to keep the layers.prefer-d3d9 option off.

Hello everyone,

I would like to report that YouTube stream chat is not working in New Moon 28 at all (in the latest version and in older versions too). i am testing it watching the recording, but I think things will be the same on a live stream.

Does YouTube need some UA override rule, or is this cannot be fixed at all? Even yesterday it worked (though incorrect, always showing up the first messages at any point of the video, but failing to load the actual ones or to scroll down). But now it just prints out a message, that I use an outdated browser...

16 hours ago, Alex654 said:

I would like to report that YouTube stream chat is not working in New Moon 28 at all (in the latest version and in older versions too). I am testing it watching the recording, but I think things will be the same on a live stream.

Does YouTube need some UA override rule, or this cannot be fixed at all? Even yesterday it worked (though incorrectly, always showing up the first messages at any point of the video, but failing to load the actual ones or to scroll down). But now it just prints out a message, that I use an outdated browser...

This is a known issue that has already been reported in the "upstream" support forum, as it is reproducible in official Pale Moon client (v28.1x.x):

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=25154&p=198725

Last post from OP (a month ago) suggests a youtube.com SSUAO mimicking a Fx 62.0+Basilisk UA, e.g.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0 Basilisk/52.9.2020.10.05

fixed things for him at the time... ;)

NB: Just a friendly reminder :) , when you seek help for an issue affecting specific sites/services, be kind enough to also provide clear URLs where the issue reported can be tested by other members of this community who may not be familiar with the issue at hand ;) (FWIW, I don't have a Google/YouTube account and I NEVER use the "chat" feature :P) ...

Best greetings

Edited by VistaLover

@Alex654 : I just navigated to a LIVE youtube stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDU-rZs-Ic4

with the very latest New Moon 28 32-bit build (buidID=20201002092931) and live chat is displayed correctly:

zEWoT1I.jpg

My yt SSUAO currently is

general.useragent.override.youtube.com;Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)

I can confirm that by restoring the default yt SSUAO:

general.useragent.override.youtube.com;Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 PaleMoon/28.10.2a1

"Live Chat" BREAKS, as you reported:

CLNy8da.jpg

alternative : Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
or this one : Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
for those who don't like the higher cpu use.
a script for greasemonkey takes care of that.
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/392034-youtube-hide-chat-by-default

Edited by rereser

16 hours ago, rereser said:

for those who don't like the higher cpu use.
a script for greasemonkey takes care of that.
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/392034-youtube-hide-chat-by-default

Wouldn't these 2 rules in uBlock Origin's custom filters do the same?

||www.youtube.com/live_chat$subdocument
www.youtube.com###chat