My Browser Builds (Part 2)

@roytam1

Hi,:)

I have verified that MailNews by default still supports the old deprecated protocols TLS 1.0 and 1.1.
I entered the value 3, minimum TLS 1.2.*****

Don't you think it would be better to set this value as default?

100.jpg

***** Also in Thunderbird 78.2.2. the value is set to 3.:yes:

Thunderbird 78.2.2 ciphers:

200.jpg

MailNews latest build ciphers:

200a.jpg

Changes made:

security.ssl3.dhe_rsa_camellia_128_sha set to false

security.ssl3.dhe_rsa_camellia_256_sha set to false

security.ssl3.rsa_aes_256_gcm_sha384 set to false

security.ssl3.rsa_aes_256_sha256 set to false

security.ssl3.rsa_camellia_128_sha set to false

security.ssl3.rsa_camellia_256_sha set to false

security.ssl3.rsa_des_ede3_sha set to true

If we take the excellent ghacks thunderbird user.js as a reference point:

https://github.com/HorlogeSkynet/thunderbird-user.js/blob/master/user.js

We note that it is recommended to set to false:

security.ssl3.rsa_des_ede3_sha

I then re-entered the default value.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

6 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

The first step of which must include "them" putting a stop to the constant disparaging of the "XP (and Vista :angel) community" and "our" choices - as if anyone here needs "their" approval to use any given OS, or gives one iota what "they" think about our choice of that OS.

I'm sorry to admit that the above expectation borders with Utopia... :( The general consensus on "their" camp seems to be that "we" are in essence practically stealing code "we" were never meant to lay "our" hands on, that "we" are just acting selfishly, full of entitlement... :huh:

6 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

These "private" repository issues are another aspect which we must figure out with regard to the licensing conditions. I see this "behavior" as simply an attempt to create more hassle for anyone who wishes to build the code for themselves..

I think that part was explained previously by M.A.T; hosting the source code of one project covered by MPL-2 in a private repo does not make it Closed Source; whenever the code author releases an executable form (binary) of the code, he has the obligation to provide, by reasonable means, access to the source code that was used to compile the executable form; "reasonable" means could very well be a link to a source tarball or, upon user request, dispatch of the used source via a physical storage medium (the cost of which should be covered by the user requesting it...); what's more important is the fact that the publicly revealed source code does not carry the "buildability" obligation, that is any additional "hack" used by the author to compile the source into an executable form can remain private...

I see this discussion (here in this thread) quickly exploding, again, to Rebranding Roytam1's browser offerings ; so I agree with @TechnoRelic that any additional content to that end be posted in the existing specific thread, not here...

My initial comment here was to highlight the fact the unofficial Pale Moon branding (upon which NM28 is built) has been changed upstream but not adopted by "us", and the eventual ramifications (if any) that decision (by "our" maintainer) may entail... I hope it's clear now... :)

48 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

My initial comment here was to highlight the fact the unofficial Pale Moon branding (upon which NM28 is built) has been changed upstream but not adopted by "us", and the eventual ramifications (if any) that decision (by "our" maintainer) may entail... I hope it's clear now... :)

thats why I said "skipped" but not "reverted" because it is not even landed in my tree and they're just being skipped.

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I'm sorry to admit that the above expectation borders with Utopia... :( The general consensus on "their" camp seems to be that "we" are in essence practically stealing code "we" were never meant to lay "our" hands on, that "we" are just acting selfishly, full of entitlement... :huh:

I understand where you're coming from with that, however I certainly don't believe it's too much to ask for them to keep their "unsolicited opinions" to themselves. I don't care if they "disapprove" or "dislike" what we're doing, I know they don't approve and I didn't ask them to agree with it. I only ask that they stop "disparaging" us with it. This is how "diplomacy" works. If they expect us to do something that they demand, then they can show good faith by ceasing their constant attacks.

And, I hate to say it, but they have no right whatsoever to insinuate that someone is "stealing" code; that's not how "Open Source" works. If that is their attitude, then they're nothing but a bunch of hypocrites, because they owe their entire existence to Mozilla and Firefox, from which they "stole" code to begin with. If they want the "right" to claim people are "stealing" code, then let them go and start from scratch and build a closed-source copy of what they have now. I would estimate they might be back up and running in five years or so, if they're lucky...

I think that part was explained previously by M.A.T; hosting the source code of one project covered by MPL-2 in a private repo does not make it Closed Source; whenever the code author releases an executable form (binary) of the code, he has the obligation to provide, by reasonable means, access to the source code that was used to compile the executable form; "reasonable" means could very well be a link to a source tarball or, upon user request, dispatch of the used source via a physical storage medium (the cost of which should be covered by the user requesting it...); what's more important is the fact that the publicly revealed source code does not carry the "buildability" obligation, that is any additional "hack" used by the author to compile the source into an executable form can remain private...

That is Mr. Tobin's interpretation of the licensing. That doesn't necessarily make it the correct, or most accepted interpretation. You will recall that I disagreed with him on this previously, and he had no direct response to the points that I made. It would be pretty senseless to be able to obtain source code that could not be "built" - this, to me, is a perfect example of "attempting to limit the user's rights in the Source Code" which the MPL prohibits, as I listed before.

Based on previous behavior, which I also provided links to, it seems to me that Mr. Tobin and company prefer to just go around making threats and creating a toxic atmosphere for those whom they don't like building their code, hoping that they can "scare off" or bluff them all into submission, because whoever they're targeting simply doesn't want to deal with their constant attacks.

I see this discussion (here in this thread) quickly exploding, again, to Rebranding Roytam1's browser offerings ; so I agree with @TechnoRelic that any additional content to that end be posted in the existing specific thread, not here...

Oh no, I have absolutely no intention of beating that dead horse again. It is dead, and should remain dead. The issues of licensing are wholly independent from the "rebranding" discussion.

I knew that, however these "ramifications" (read "threats") or whether they can be enforced or not come down to licensing. I covered that specific aspect in my other post. You did ask for other input... :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, roytam1 said:

thats why I said "skipped" but not "reverted" because it is not even landed in my tree and they're just being skipped.

What's the big deal with skipping this commit anyway? Isn't New Moon a lot of selective commits from upstream anyways? Nobody's obligated to integrate all their commits.

Personally, I am a big fan of my New Moon and MailNews and am not ready for "Browser"! :no:

Hello and nice day everyone !

Question..

Am I the only one getting this basilisk.exe application error?

~`The instruction at "0x01aedbc6" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".~`

It wasn't happening until I upgraded to the last build. I hope my RAM is going dead :-(

Thanks in advance and take good care!

~Sal

untitled.bmp

Edited by sal here
forgot to say, basilisk error

On 9/21/2020 at 9:57 AM, Dylan Cruz said:

Personally, I am a big fan of my New Moon and MailNews and am not ready for "Browser"! :no:

7 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I would personally PREFER my web browser to be called "Browser".  :cheerleader:

And I would prefer mine called "Gwendolyn", so what?  :dubbio:

2 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Since we're talking about what names we'd like, I like the idea Royfox

Embed doesn't display the image the post has, but it has a potential icon that can be used.

6 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Since we're talking about what names we'd like

With great respect, we aren't/shouldn't be doing that here...

On 9/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, VistaLover said:

TL;DR:
Previous upstream unofficial branding name for Pale Moon forks: New Moon
Updated (by upstream) unofficial branding name for Pale Moon forks: Browser

Hi @all!

First, big thanks @roytam1 for all these builds!

Personally, I'm using NM27 (because it's a way faster than NM28 on single core machines with many [over hundred] tabs) since Pale Moon support for WinXP was deprecated. My website (soggi.org) links to this thread in the misc/tools/browsers section, because I recommend using NM27/28 on WinXP.

I just have been a reader here for several years (not just on the "New Moon" topic; much longer).

Will there be the possibility to have working language packs in the future again? I'm OK with English, but German would be fine, especially for my relatives.

14 hours ago, dencorso said:

I would keep the solar system topic (planet/satellite/planetoid/asteroid) and maybe would call it Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Venus, Io, Callisto/Kallisto, Triton, Ceres, Juno, Vesta...something like that. But "Sweet Sweet Gwendoline" would also be OK.

kind regards

soggi

Edited by soggi

21 hours ago, dencorso said:

21 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Since we're talking about what names we'd like, I like the idea Royfox

That's the problem: I wasn't stating my preference... what I was is called being ironic!
Why is it almost no folks nowadays are able to even detect irony? :dubbio:
And no, please, don't answer the above question: it's just a rethorical question.
Now, what is literal is that the next post about renaming @roytam1's forked browsers in this will be deleted.
That's way off-topic and totally pointless nowadays. So, please, stop. Do stop. Resist useless posting.

Hi

On 9/22/2020 at 7:00 PM, sal here said:

Hello and nice day everyone !

Question..

Am I the only one getting this basilisk.exe application error?

~`The instruction at "0x01aedbc6" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".~`

It wasn't happening until I upgraded to the last build. I hope my RAM is going dead :-(

Thanks in advance and take good care!

~Sal

I got the same error under xp sp2 in the latest version of serpent (Basilisk) 52 , this one occurs randomly after playing full screen video.:wacko:

2020-09-24_002010.png

Edited by IXOYE