My Browser Builds (Part 2)

20 minutes ago, sparty411 said:

Hey all, how are we watching youtube video's with Basilisk now? Every time I try to watch a video, I just get an error that states "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available."

Any ideas?

I'm running Serpent 2020-05-23 IA32 and there are no problems with viewing videos, even in classic (though descriptions seem to be broken/truncated sometimes in classic).

Edited by win32

i tried all of these new builds on my xp64 machine, same result as before: fine for the first 5-10 seconds, then the window contents freeze and wont redraw until it's manually resized or you click the menu bar. borealis will actually update the tab bar and other ui elements when you do that (none of the others will) and k-meleon crashes immediately, but i cant make any sense of windows error reports.  the title bar always updates as it should, pages render correctly, youtube videos play audio but the video remains frozen with the rest of the page.  i know im probably starting to sound like a broken record on here, but the fact that for the firs time in a long time i've encountered a computer problem i cant fixed has upset me dearly lol.

Can anyone see the images at this page in NM27?

Tested with a clean profile and the only images shown are from the ads there. The actual article images are somehow turned to broken data URIs - example screenshot

This has happened before on all kinds of sites, but i always thought it was due to blocking and/or addons screwing up the pages. Turns out it wasn't.

The same page shows fine in the latest Serpent build with my usual addons and proxies.

3 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

@sparty411

It works here, although my CPU gets maxed on just 240p...

What results you get on this page?

P.S.

Reveal hidden contents

AEhZEce.jpg

2MB for a single stupid .JS ?!? Those people are crazy...

[EDIT]

You may also try my way of viewing YT videos.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

I'm running Serpent 2020-05-23 IA32 and there are no problems with viewing videos, even in classic (though descriptions seem to be broken/truncated sometimes in classic).

Strange. My Athlon XP machine is the one on which I'm having trouble with youtube, using serpent IA-32. Interestingly enough, my Pentium EE machine does not encounter the same error, when trying to watch a video. I'll investigate more this evening, after work.

Edited by sparty411

3 hours ago, win32 said:

there are no problems with viewing videos, even in classic

I thought YouTube disable classic interface in last days. How you still watch them in classic YouTube interface?

1 minute ago, Rod Steel said:

I thought YouTube disable classic interface in last days. How you still watch them in classic YouTube interface?

I kept the user agent override that makes it think I'm running Firefox/42.0.

Now it displays a browser support warning before it lets me enter the site but it still mostly works. But sometimes it loads polymer anyway.

9 minutes ago, win32 said:

I kept the user agent override that makes it think I'm running Firefox/42.0.

Hm. I have general.useragent.override.youtube.com Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/28.3.0a1

And last days it load polymer always. Polymer interface work sooo slow on XP in Palemoon. So now sometimes i watch long YouTube videos in PotPlayer with HW acceleration and sometimes i use https://www.y2mate.com/en19 to download the most long\cool videos that i will watch more then one time.

Edited by Rod Steel

4 minutes ago, Rod Steel said:

I have general.useragent.override.youtube.com Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/28.3.0a1

Mine is:

Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 Basilisk/52.9.0

so the OS part would be NT 5.2 in my case.

@roytam1 <--

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/twitter-shuts-down-legacy-site-and-forces-new-theme-on-everyone/

Please see above URL -- I am using your RT BNAV Browser -- located (URL below) here:
https://o.rths.ml/boc-uxp/

So, I see that TWITTER screen about 'Browser Not Supported.'
Please make it (Twitter Warning Pop Up) go away, if possible, thanks. :)
And thanks for your amazing support of your RT XP OS capable Browsers.

Added Later: The suggested solution below by @RainyShadow worked fine.
I suspect that I did change it earlier myself, because I preferred the OLD TWITTER display (interface).
And now, TWITTER is FORCING everyone to use the NEW TWITTER display (interface).

Edited by TechnoRelic

@TechnoRelic

I just found out that there is a UA override for twitter in about:config

Check for general.useragent.override.twitter.com and change it to something newer.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1;rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0)

seems to work fine in NM27.

Edited by RainyShadow
fixed UA

On 6/13/2020 at 10:00 AM, RainyShadow said:

Ever since i started using Serpent few weeks ago, there was a little annoyance with it.

Often when i click on the Back button (or use the button with the same function on my keyboard), it doesn't work, so i have to click it a second time.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Ignore this, turns out it was caused by uBlock when i blocked page elements containing iframe of www.facebook.com/plugins/page.php . When that element gets onscreen, the current page duplicates in browser history.

Now i directly blocked the URL with this filter

||www.facebook.com/plugins/page.php$subdocument,important

and the issue is gone.

On 6/13/2020 at 7:56 PM, RainyShadow said:

Can anyone see the images at this page in NM27?

Tested with a clean profile and the only images shown are from the ads there. The actual article images are somehow turned to broken data URIs - example screenshot

This has happened before on all kinds of sites, but i always thought it was due to blocking and/or addons screwing up the pages. Turns out it wasn't.

The same page shows fine in the latest Serpent build with my usual addons and proxies.

There seems to be two attributes for each image: data-src containing the proper image URL, and src containing a data URI. An inline script is supposed to copy data-src to src, but for some reason it fails in NM27.

Maybe NM27 is lacking some function in its JavaScript implementation, no clue. I don't see anything related in the error console.

I can't test NM28 and the other SSE2 browsers, there may be others affected as well.

The bad thing is that this seems to be a commonly used technique, so more and more pages will have the same issue. Many will go unnoticed when it's not obvious that there are supposed to be images.

@roytam1 Could you see if this can be fixed somehow, please?

Edited by RainyShadow

Hi there,

just to report that with NewMoon, Slack has to be added in about:config, otherwise it gives an error about the browser not being compatible:

general.useragent.override.app.slack.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (Pale Moon)

Changing the user agent works like a charm.

Cheers,

Frank