My Browser Builds (Part 2)

@roytam1 : I want to raise your awareness to upstream UXP issue #1446 :

Only allow extension class add-ons to use the dual-GUID system

So far we've allowed e.g. Firefox full themes to be installed as well but that can't reasonably be continued due to compat issues.

Now, Moonchild has tagged this as "App: Pale Moon", which means, for the time being at least, they'll only be enforcing this on Pale Moon... 

In NM28 I'm currently using a native Full Theme (Dark Moon 2.4.1), but it's possible other members here are using Complete Themes made for Firefox originally (so these will stop loading if/when #1446 is merged into NM28)...

However, on Serpent 52 I'm using, since very long ago, an "originally-for-Fx" Complete Theme, FT DeepDark (v14.3+slight local modifications); the following two upstream commits

Only allow extension add-on types for Firefox compat mode

Only match extension add-on types for target applications

were pushed into the upstream master UXP branch (i.e. platform-wide), which, IIUC, is "mirrored" in your own master UXP branch and then selectively merged into your custom UXP branch (the one used to produce the UXP forks); IOW, I harbour some slight trepidation that, if due diligence is not paid here, suddenly my FTDD complete theme will cease working in a soon to be released Serpent 52.9.0 build... :(

Thanks for your consideration on this matter, huge gratitude in fact for keeping your projects "going" :worship: despite adverse real life conditions :} ...

Take the best of care!

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@roytam1

I harbour some slight trepidation that, if due diligence is not paid here, suddenly my FTDD complete theme will cease working in a soon to be released Serpent 52.9.0 build... :(

Using a full theme here too, hate to lose it. Cant' see why it couldn't be reversed like nearly every other change they've been making to reduce features.

8 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@roytam1 :

I harbour some slight trepidation that, if due diligence is not paid here, suddenly my FTDD complete theme will cease working in a soon to be released Serpent 52.9.0 build...

Now you see the real reason these people are so hot and pushing for RT to join their "Branding Efforts"

So they can slip this kind of stuff in his and other people's work  without anyone really noticing untill it's nearly too late.

2 hours ago, mraeryceos said:

The extension Quick Context Search v1.5.4 stops working, when moving from the last 28.8 to the current 28.9 of NM28XP (New Moon).  The search engine icons no longer show in the context menu.

please attach error console errors as well.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded and launched comodo ice dragon 52. Installer option portable https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oC0QysFaT54aAg2eB5J4WkKr5dDGB68_

I added extensions. It's widewine, good YT, even Quick Context Search 1.5.4 works well for me.
The speed of this browser impresses me.

726627ad391e4ae9.png

Every search engine works.

@sparty411, @Omntech

I'm aware there is some degree of history and disagreement between you. Both of you have been a bit out of line with some of your comments. I'm glad that this issue has passed now, but it still must be addressed.

sparty411, you were out of line to ask Omntech "who are you to..." back during the "great browser renaming war." Some of us who have been here for many years could put the same question to you as well, but it still wouldn't be right. I pointed it out back then, but I mention it here again for reference for anyone who may not know the full history, and because I feel this previous situation created a degree of animosity that helps to explain the current situation.

I am aware of the response Omntech posted to that statement that was removed, and it was definitely out of line as well, to be clear. Another staff member judged that to be the best course of action, hoping that my post would be the end of it and you both would cool down, which seemed to be the case for a while.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:29 AM, sparty411 said:

Using an old browser chalk full of security holes does not make you bold, or enlightened. Frankly, it's asinine, but you're free to do whatever you'd like.

When using an unsupported operating system, the least you can do is mitigate the security risks that come with browsing the internet.

It should be noted as well that it doesn't come across very well here, at MSFN, and in this community, to spread "FUD" regarding older operating systems, older software, and those who choose to use them. Our general philosophy is that everyone has the right to use their computer as they see fit, and they have the right to not have to listen to others criticizing their decisions as such, which, regrettably, seems to be the norm across most of the internet. Let's celebrate the freedom to use our systems as we see fit here, not turn it into any other online forum where we refer to other people's choices as "asinine" and ask them why they want to do things instead of helping them do it.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:28 PM, Omntech said:

Which are really non-existent for the most part. The only people really affected by them are dorks like you who basically spread them around with *YOUR* useage of the internet.

The days of non -dorks playing the hardware/software upgradge-ratrace game people like you play is pretty much over.

People are not going to trash their investments of time and money in their computers and cellphones and other equipment just to appease people like you.

You really need to get a clue and a life.

The reality is that people are going to keep using their old computers,software ,cellphones and other devices untill they die of hardware failure,because there's no real reason for them not to do so.

Omntech, I would ask that you please direct your arguments toward the ideas or situations that you disagree with rather than attacking the people who are presenting them. It's not acceptable (or necessary) to call others names to get your point across. Personal attacks cheapen the effect of a good argument.

Yes, I "Liked" the post in question above. It was my gut reaction as I disagreed with the post you were responding to. But while I agree in sentiment with many of the things you've said, we must remain a place where ideas are debated rather than a place where personal attacks and insults rule and distort the power of the argument. While it may feel good to lash out at your enemies as such, it reduces the power of persuasion for anyone else reading it who was not directly involved.

-

This last statement is not really directed personally at either of you, but a general statement of principle. We should not judge someone solely by the number of their posts, or attempt to brand someone as a troll simply because they join and take a different viewpoint during a polarizing discussion. Polarizing situations often bring out those who might not otherwise speak, but this does not allow anyone to simply paint them with a broad brush as a troll or a flamer. Only time will reveal whether or not a member will become a contributor, a leecher, a clueless observer, or a troll, or anything in between. So let's move on from this, and not have any more such distractions.

7 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

@sparty411, @Omntech

I'm aware there is some degree of history and disagreement between you. Both of you have been a bit out of line with some of your comments. I'm glad that this issue has passed now, but it still must be addressed.

In regards to the Firefox argument, it seemed pretty cut and dry IMHO. He threw every logical fallacy under the sun at me, but I'm the bad guy. Ok lol. Been over it for a week now, but since you've dredged it up, I must beg the question:

Is it not irresponsible to refrain from criticizing blatent misinformation? It's common knowledge that old browsers like FF52.9 ESR have gaping security holes that are actively being exploited. This is not a matter of conjecture, but fact. I wouldn't want someone who is less than informed to take poor advice, then get harmed in the process. I'm not here to attack anyone personally, or stir up trouble for the sake of doing it, but I will call out prima facia misinformation, when I think it could do someone harm. 

If spreading flat out falsehood is something that isn't only tolerated, but actively encouraged, I'll be happy to see myself out. 

New build of Serpent/UXP for XP!

Test binary:
Win32 https://o.rths.ml/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.5.win32-git-20200222-9e90ea2-uxp-a7888b8cf-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rths.ml/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.5.win64-git-20200222-9e90ea2-uxp-a7888b8cf-xpmod.7z

source code that is comparable to my current working tree is available here: https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commits/custom

IA32 Win32 https://o.rths.ml/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.5.win32-git-20200222-9e90ea2-uxp-a7888b8cf-xpmod-ia32.7z

source code that is comparable to my current working tree is available here: https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commits/ia32

NM28XP build:
Win32 https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/palemoon-28.9.0a1.win32-git-20200222-ad08f7edc-uxp-a7888b8cf-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/palemoon-28.9.0a1.win64-git-20200222-ad08f7edc-uxp-a7888b8cf-xpmod.7z

Official UXP changes since my last build:
- Issue #1445 - Clarify the status of extensions in the Add-On manager (f107de8a9)
- Issue #1355 - Make nsTableCellFrame::GetColIndex/GetRowIndex faster (d4098037a)
- Issue #1446 - Only allow extension add-on types for Firefox compat mode. (e8417acbf)
- Merge pull request #1447 from win7-7/optimization-4-pr (a4ab3fc59)
- Issue #1446 - Only match extension add-on types for target applications. (4889e6dbb)
- Issue #1445 - Use the detailed string also in the list entries. (ac68f8cf6)
- Issue #1320 - Stop appending cpu arch to the end of %BUILD_TARGET% on Windows in UpdateUtils.jsm (66b9ddfd3)
- Issue #1445 - remove redundant nativeIndicator (2073a7f1c)
- Issue #1445 - strings cleanup (461a9e86b)
- Merge pull request #1452 from JustOff/Issue1445_cleanup (8dc04fc24)
- Issue #1445 - Add a link to details on using Firefox extensions in Pale Moon (c220c30bb)
- Issue #1454 - Add MOZ_PKG_SPECIAL to UpdateUtils (e6b48cb64)
- Merge pull request #1455 from JustOff/issue1445_details_url (0a8530b91)
- Issue #1383 - Remove "Copy raw data to clipboard" button (e3d81b698)
- Issue #316 - Make the memory GC performance object conditional (WIP) (59f7a2cdb)
- Issue #316 - Pre-process Performance.webidl (28f67bddc)
- Issue #1457 - Unfold sqlite3 from nss (0e9957c41)
- Issue #316 - Be more gentle with the CC and nursery. (d53b11c9d)
- Merge pull request #1458 from MoonchildProductions/316 (7832dded3)
- Issue #439 - Remove tests from widget/ (178382e4c)
- Issue #1053 - Remove Android Widget Toolkit specific files (18e74277b)
- Issue #1053 - Remove conditional android code from widget/ (b36e60615)
- Issue #1053 - Remove android support from NPAPI (04fb9eaa6)
- Issue #316 - Make sure MOZ_DEVTOOLS_SERVER is passed down to js. (5e21bf1d5)
- Merge branch '316' (1e88448dd)
- [gfx] Put Skia-specific CTOR init behind Skia-conditional. (623c44226)
- Remove gtest reference to non-existing path of removed component (944cf0dda)
- Set module default identification properly. (a7888b8cf)

Official Basilisk changes since my last build:
- Issue MoonchildProductions/UXP#1454 - Update app.update.url to include MOZ_PKG_SPECIAL (d2a450f)
- Issue MoonchildProductions/UXP#1457 - Update package-manifest (f5afaa2)
- Update platform branch pointer. (5b6c056)
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Basilisk (9e90ea2)

Official Pale-Moon changes since my last build:
- Update platform branch pointer. (0face352f)
- Update platform branch pointer. (801c39008)
- Issue MoonchildProductions/UXP#1445 - Add a link to details on using Firefox extensions in Pale Moon (5ab002dea)
- Issue MoonchildProductions/UXP#1454 - Update app.update.url to include MOZ_PKG_SPECIAL (96d6179bd)
- Merge pull request #1727 from JustOff/issue1445_details_url (663942c7b)
- Update platform branch pointer. (638ceccd9)
- Issue MoonchildProductions/UXP#1457 - Update package-manifest (d35f03895)
- Issue MoonchildProductions/UXP#1457 - Remove redundant MOZ_FOLD_LIBS from confvars (a8ea2bbf0)
- Update platform branch pointer. (0fa55d9fb)
- Update platform branch pointer (e43f2cee8)
- Minor corrections in module info and manifest (ad08f7edc)

My changes since my last build:
* Reverted following commits:
- Issue #1445 - Clarify the status of extensions in the Add-On manager (f107de8a9)
- Issue #1446 - Only allow extension add-on types for Firefox compat mode. (e8417acbf)
- Issue #1446 - Only match extension add-on types for target applications. (4889e6dbb)
- Issue #1445 - Use the detailed string also in the list entries. (ac68f8cf6)
- Issue #1445 - remove redundant nativeIndicator (2073a7f1c)
- Issue #1445 - strings cleanup (461a9e86b)
- Issue #1445 - Add a link to details on using Firefox extensions in Pale Moon (c220c30bb)
* followup of MoonchildProductions/UXP#1457, fix `mach package' (1b26a48e8)
* manifest part was reverted in "[Pale-Moon] Minor corrections in module info and manifest (ad08f7edc)"

New build of BOC/UXP for XP!

Test binary:
MailNews Win32 https://o.rths.ml/boc-uxp/mailnews.win32-20200222-6cf2e411-uxp-a7888b8cf-xpmod.7z
Browser-only Suite Win32 https://o.rths.ml/boc-uxp/bnavigator.win32-20200222-6cf2e411-uxp-a7888b8cf-xpmod.7z

source patch (excluding UXP): https://o.rths.ml/boc-uxp/boc-uxp-src-xpmod-20191123.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
- Change toolbar mode default for navigational toolbar and re-add custom toolbars support (ee7466f3)
- Update platform commit pointer (8717218a)
- Update platform commit pointer (31e042c0)
- Issue MoonchildProductions/UXP#1457 - Update package-manifest (6cf2e411)

--

New build of IceApe-UXP for XP!

Test binary:
https://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/iceape.win32-20200222-id-088353e-ia-041bf6a-uxp-a7888b8cf-xpmod.7z

For UXP changes please see above.

9 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

@sparty411, @Omntech

It should be noted as well that it doesn't come across very well here, at MSFN, and in this community, to spread "FUD" regarding older operating systems, older software, and those who choose to use them. Our general philosophy is that everyone has the right to use their computer as they see fit, and they have the right to not have to listen to others criticizing their decisions as such, which, regrettably, seems to be the norm across most of the internet. Let's celebrate the freedom to use our systems as we see fit here, not turn it into any other online forum where we refer to other people's choices as "asinine" and ask them why they want to do things instead of helping them do it.

THANK YOU !!! !!! !!!

On 2/19/2020 at 11:13 AM, vikmin said:

https://o.rths.ml/boc-uxp/bnavigator.win32-20200215-48fee875-uxp-d3067ffdd-xpmod.7z
RT BNAV Browser-only Win32 , added language pack ru-RU  Thank you kindly :thumbup

Could you be more specific ???
Where (http URL) did you source the Language Pack ???
Did you modify it in any way , in order to have it install successfully ???

Added Later: Apparently , it was not easy for vikmin to get his ru-RU Language Pack working.
The original BNAV Browser coding excludes Language Packs. And RT did a Language Pack in the past
that did work. And then , the BNAV coding changed somehow , and RT's Language Pack
did not work anymore. Just saying this as a warning. In that , you might get a Language Pack
to work , then a BNAV Browser Update could make the Language Pack not work anymore.

Edited by TechnoRelic