My Browser Builds (Part 2)

6 hours ago, lama said:

Thats disgusting, why Roytam1 wouldn't think of adding portable option in the first place :} I don't like this type of workarounds :puke: if it was up to me, i would put entire settings on cloud and load it using cloud sign-in

It all depends on how you want to use the portable. If it's on a flash drive then downloading the portable package works good for that. If it's directly on the hard drive the basilisk.exe -Profile method is preferred. I use them both.

:} I cannot make Serpent Basilisk.exe default browser because links and pages.HTMx will bypass -profile context while executing .EXE

:} I also hate loaders.exe

Why Basilisk.exe cannot have option to save and first read settings from Basilisk.INI (as portable mode detection? something that MPC-HC does?)

Portable modes:
I've always liked that K-Meleon can be switched to portable mode simply by adding or removing an empty file "profile.ini" in the root folder. This doesn't just mean that 1 specific profile must be called, instead the whole "profileS" package with possible multiple ones is placed either in- or outside.
Is that what the "-Profile" or "--no-remote" commandlines do for other Mozilla browsers?

But: I've also always wished this KM-method could be done with a more intuitive method, since only insiders are aware of this "hidden trick". For example in KM1.5.4-TLS1.2 this file is missing out-of-box, which is a killer trap to mess previous profiles once created with higher KM-versions. At least this is very misleading for average KM-users who always differentiated portable+installer versions just by seeing the ending "7z" or "exe"

The most simple and intuitive method from user-view would just be:
Place a browsername.exe and a browsername_portable.exealongside in the root folder, out of box. With the portable.exe being just a little file calling the "full" exe, after telling it to look up all profiles inside the same folder. That can't be so difficult to create?

Edited by siria

Anyone else having a problem with Twitter and UXP? It keeps redirecting me to the mobile twitter. I’ve got the user agent in about:config set to Firefox 72, Windows 10 but it makes no difference, any newer string including Chrome does the same thing.

Only when it’s put back to “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko” does it go to regular twitter but then the videos are distorted.

It’s getting frustrating and doesn’t do it in firefox 68esr or the nightly.

Then USE firefox 68esr or the nightly!  Whoala, "problem" solved!

Seriously, I do contend that "these" issues will only get WORSE the further along we go.

We are using cherry-picked snippets of code designed for SOMETHING ELSE and crossing our fingers that they will work 'here'.

I personally have SEVERAL sights that stopped working a LONG TIME AGO so I use 28.2.2.

TOO MANY around here give WAY too much credance to the whole Roytam Builds process.

NOT to undermine that process, don't get me wrong (I don't know how to do the whole github patching).

I see absolutely, positively, ZERO justification for anybody and everbody to ramble off lists upon lists of web sites that "don't work".

It kinda gets old, no offense.

This "old dog" (New Moon version 28.2.2-ish) does EVERYTHING that *I* need it to do.

You can NOT teach an "old dog" new tricks!

Throw every "patch" you want at the "old dog", that doesn't make it some new miraculous "breed".

If you want 100% compatibility with Twitter, then browse on over to the "supported browsers" page -

https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/twitter-supported-browsers

(I can't at the momemt because company firewall blocks access)

But my hunch is that Twitter is NOT "supposed" to work on any browser "this old", patched or not.

But I digress...  Again...

2 hours ago, DanR20 said:

Anyone else having a problem with Twitter and UXP?

... Recently discussed, only four pages ago... :)

Starting post is this one:

Please read relevant posts that followed it; I assume you're on XP (the setting under your forum avatar just says "OS: none specified" ;) ), it might be necessary to switch to APCDM in St52 for Twitter (along with an IE SSUAO); also, everyone using XP here should realise that the major "trendy" social sites (youtube/facebook/instagram/twitter etc.), laden with heavy scripts and rich embedded media content, are constantly evolving to cater to (mostly) mobile platforms and, for desktop, to what is the Win10 version du jour... :realmad:

Roytam1 did try successfully to mitigate the lack of WMF and OS patented decoders under XP, but those ffmpeg decoders inside his custom ffvpx library (in UXP browsers) can only cope as much; FFmpeg itself has long ago abandonned XP support, so, if I'm not mistaken, current decoders are based on an older, XP compatible, FFmpeg branch (3.x.x ?) ... OTOH, those social/media sites (especially twitter & instagram) use encoding profiles & new methods of stream delivery that are not guaranteed to remain compatible with forked-UXP's media decoders... :}

Edited by VistaLover

3 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Then USE firefox 68esr or the nightly!  Whoala, "problem" solved!

You seem angry, not sure what your point is since the forum is about those of us who prefer the older but better versions of firefox.

Actually I do use 68esr or the nightly, often side by side with UXP. They both have their advantages and on Windows 7 the UXP version plays videos even better and with less dropped frames and skipping the newer ones. But the quantum versions are better when it comes to javascript in my experience. So they all have their uses.

Also I do get that the websites won't support older versions forever but Twitter is heavily  trafficked so if it's possible to maintain it a little longer why not try? 

4 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Recently discussed, only four pages ago... :)

Starting post is this one:

Please read relevant posts that followed it; I assume you're on XP (the setting under your forum avatar just says "OS: none specified" ;) ), it might be necessary to switch to APCDM in St52 for Twitter (along with an IE SSUAO); also, everyone using XP here should realise that the major "trendy" social sites (youtube/facebook/instagram/twitter etc.), laden with heavy scripts and rich embedded media content, are constantly evolving to cater to (mostly) mobile platforms and, for desktop, to what is the Win10 version du jour... :realmad:

Roytam1 did try successfully to mitigate the lack of WMF and OS patented decoders under XP, but those ffmpeg decoders inside his custom ffvpx library (in UXP browsers) can only cope as much; FFmpeg itself has long ago abandonned XP support, so, if I'm not mistaken, current decoders are based in an older, XP compatible, FFmpeg branch (3.x.x ?) ... OTOH, those media sites (especially twitter & instagram) use new methods of encoding profiles and stream delivery which are not guaranteed to remain compatible with forked-UXP's media decoders... :}

Yes, read them and they don't even mention redirecting to mobile, or certainly provide a solution (they've all been tried). For me, this just started in the last few days, which tells me that unless some internal changes can be made, like fixing the distorted audio then UXP and twitter are on their last legs together. Not a problem, I'll just use a newer version and life goes on.   

6 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

they don't even mention redirecting to mobile

I believe that is the "new layout" mentioned there (but, God forbid, I'm not a twitter user :P )...

7 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

like fixing the distorted audio

It appears you're on Win7 or higher (since you can run FxESR 68); in "about:config" disable native forked-UXP's decoders by setting "media.ffvpx.enabled;false" and make sure "media.wmf.enabled;true" ; restart NM28 (or St52; what is it exactly you're using?) and then see if the audio on Twitter is OK...

If Twitter gets also broken in the official UXP browsers (you can also check this yourself, if on Win7), then I suspect upstream will have to deal with that, eventually; there's one report already on the official forums,

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23597&p=181680

however the OP has not indicated yet whether offered remedy cures the issue for him...

1 minute ago, VistaLover said:

I believe that is the "new layout" mentioned there (but, God forbid, I'm not a twitter user :P )...

It appears you're on Win7 or higher (since you can run FxESR 68); in "about:config" disable native forked-UXP's decoders by setting "media.ffvpx.enabled;false" and make sure "media.wmf.enabled;true" ; restart NM28 (or St52; what is it exactly you're using?) and then see if the audio on Twitter is OK...

If Twitter gets also broken in the official UXP browsers (you can also check this yourself, if on Win7), then I suspect upstream will have to deal with that, eventually; there's one report already on the official forums,

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23597&p=181680

however the OP has not indicated yet whether offered remedy cures the issue for him...

Each system is different and a lot depends on the processor, ram etc. At the moment I'm dealing with a bit of an older system and so a lot of experimenting goes on. In Windows 7, where most of my computing time is I've tried various settings and the built in OS codecs (media.wmf.enabled) appear better than ffvpx so that's what I go with. UXP's codec works good enough in XP though, much better than the Adobe plugin. 

It helps to check these problems before posting. With Firefox 68+ it's doing the same thing, redirecting to mobile twitter if you use a user agent switcher and set it to a newer string, including the default. I usually keep that on IE11, windows 7 but since it uses WMF there's no audio distortion.

So the glitch is with twitter and not UXP, except that for XP users the IE11, windows 7 string for regular twitter means distorted audio. Wish they could fix that.

16 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

This "old dog" (New Moon version 28.2.2-ish) does EVERYTHING that *I* need it to do.

You can NOT teach an "old dog" new tricks!

Throw every "patch" you want at the "old dog", that doesn't make it some new miraculous "breed".

You can:

https://github.com/azac/cobol-on-wheelchair

And now you die :)

On 1/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, lama said:

:} I cannot make Serpent Basilisk.exe default browser because links and pages.HTMx will bypass -profile context while executing .EXE

:} I also hate loaders.exe

Why Basilisk.exe cannot have option to save and first read settings from Basilisk.INI (as portable mode detection? something that MPC-HC does?)

Then use that.  End of your problem.

On 1/28/2020 at 6:49 AM, lama said:

Having this Portable option in Installer itself is Anytime better

The thing is, @roytam1 didn't write and doesn't maintain the installer; @i430VX does!

It probably wouldn't be hard for his installer to ask if you wanted a portable install, and add the necessary options to the shortcuts it creates. But @i430VX is the one to ask.