My Browser Builds (Part 2)

43 minutes ago, lama said:

Hi

How do i run this browser in portable mode? because everything i run this on a different computer, i've to set everything from scratch!

Any command line context?

The way I run it in portable mode is to rename the basilisk folder firefox and also basilisk.exe to firefox exe then swap that with the App/firefox folder. You can put your profile named "Profile" in the data folder. 

Edit: should have mentioned that this requires downloading the portable firefox version then swapping the renamed basilisk and basilisk.exe with the portable firefox version:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla Firefox%2C Portable Ed./

Edited by DanR20

5 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Very interesting that Moonchild is perfectly OK with continued use of Pale Moon on Windows 7, which is now EOL, but they couldn't be steadfast enough of ridding of Windows XP support.

Now, I'm fine with the mass-jettison of XP, but it's either one way or the other.  Me thinks, since the Pale Moon crew runs Windows 7, well then that makes it OK, but since XP is just all the rest of you, well too bad.

I'm over on Windows 8 anyway, and again I'm not an XP defender, but flip-flopping on an issue just bugs me.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=23681 (registration required)

I haven't read the topic (registration required, and it's not a big enough deal to bother registering) so I'm just guessing that they're following Google's timeline for Chrome, rather than M$'s timeline for Win 7 itself:

As to Win 8, it's interesting that it's newer than Win 7, but also hit EoS earlier (since everyone was "supposed" to upgrade to 8.1). So if/when they do stop supporting Win 7, they might just set the minimum required version to 8.1 and we'd all be out of luck.

But it may also have to do with programming. Another guess of mine is, it's not really any harder to support Win 7/8 than it is to support 8.1. If so, MCP may not see much advantage in cutting off Win 7/8 support in terms of removing code from the product. The chance to remove code and make the browser package smaller seems to have been one of their motivations to drop XP support (less sure about Vista) back in the day.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:37 AM, Rod Steel said:

Guys, i think i was not clear enough in my explanation so i should to clarify:

1. As my second browser i use Firefox 52 ESR with Adobe Primetime since 2018 and it show video\audio in twitter correctly. With "Good Twitter" extension that i mention earlier it even switch now to old layout in 52ESR and still show video\audio in twitter correctly.

2. New Moon with User Agent Mode "Firefox compatible" show twitter NOW in 2020 year with new layout with video\audio correctly.

3. New Moon with User Agent Mode "Native" show twitter with old layout BUT video\audio incorrectly.

You were perfectly clear; that's why I said you probably wouldn't like my solution! FF 52 doesn't support SSUAOs (at least, not without considerable tweaking), so an extension like "Good Twitter" is needed to send Twitter a different UA (so their Web server will use the old interface). However, this also causes Twitter to send the audio that @roytam1's built-in support wouldn't have handled correctly, but since you're (of necessity) using Primetime with FF 52, it plays fine anyway.

As for getting it to work in NM, his built-in support is probably getting the sampling rate wrong somehow. Unfortunately I don't think anyone yet knows quite how to fix it.

40 minutes ago, lama said:

Hi

How do i run this browser in portable mode? because everything i run this on a different computer, i've to set everything from scratch!

Any command line context?

You could also try petrus's suggestion:

That idea should work with any FF-derived browser (NM, Serpent, Navigator, etc.)

5 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

You could also try petrus's suggestion:

That idea should work with any FF-derived browser (NM, Serpent, Navigator, etc.)

There's different ways of doing it and the -no-remote -Profile method is how I've done it with different thunderbird versions..

If you're using a portable on flash drive another way is to download a portable FF version then swap the App/firefox folder with a renamed basilisk. Works just as good and doesn't require a profile.ini either.

6 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Very interesting that Moonchild is perfectly OK with continued use of Pale Moon on Windows 7, which is now EOL, but they couldn't be steadfast enough of ridding of Windows XP support.

Now, I'm fine with the mass-jettison of XP, but it's either one way or the other.  Me thinks, since the Pale Moon crew runs Windows 7, well then that makes it OK, but since XP is just all the rest of you, well too bad.

I'm over on Windows 8 anyway, and again I'm not an XP defender, but flip-flopping on an issue just bugs me.

Me thinks a Windows 8 user accusing Moonchild of hypocrisy in the XP forum seems like an easy way to gain kudos, and indeed TechnoRelic seems to have liked your posts, but I don't.

Microsoft's EoL date for Windows XP was April 8, 2014. According to Pale Moon - Release Notes for Archived Versions, that was soon after version 24.4.2 was released. Did Moonchild "steadfastly" rid Pale Moon of Windows XP support by the end of the month? Absolutely not! Pale Moon 25 and 26 continued to support XP, and version 27.0.0 wasn't released until 2016-11-22 - more than 31 months after XP's EoL. If Moonchild ends support for Windows 7 before August 2022, then Windows 7 diehards would actually have something to gripe about - and btw support for Windows 8 might also end at such time...

... Adding to what my friend @Vistapocalypse posted, MCP dropped Vista support in Pale Moon with the release of v28.0.0 on Aug 16th 2018, a mere 16 months after Vista's own EoS (end of Extended Support by vendor, which was Apr 11th 2017); so yes, XP diehards shouldn't be moaning over this... :whistle:

Would I have wanted official Vista support to have continued past Tycho (v27.x.x) (and that would've been at a minimal cost, considering how much similar Vista & 7 are, both NT6) ? Of course yes ;) ... But when MCP started developing UXP (forked off FxESR 52, both XP/Vista compatible), Vista had already reached its EoS, so, in his own words, he didn't want to implement support for a "dead" OS in his "new" application platform... :rolleyes: :(

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=134148#p134148

Addition: In a now hidden (:angry:) GitHub comment of mine, my own view on the matter:

> there is no actual lifetime overlap between Vista and a new product released in 2017/2018.

To be brutally honest, I never in the life of me understood the strength of that argument; practice has shown that older OSes become really deprecated by the loss of supported browsers (while newer versions of browsers try to keep up with the ever changing web standards); PM would have been the perfect browser choice for these slightly older platforms, once the big browser vendors, aligning themselves behind M$, drop support.

Win7 is in its last leg of Extended Support, getting only security updates; Vista SP2 can be argued that it is in a similar state - no feature updates exist for it, only security updates can be (manually) applied to it (via the WinServer 2008 update path); at the end of the day, I simply don't fall for that "lifetime overlap" reasoning and acknowledge other factors were decisive towards Vista being chopped...

Just for the sake of clarity, Moonchild's response(s):

... So you don't understand software development not targeting anything that is still actively supported as a platform? Well sorry but that's just how things are. Whether you do or don't understand it has unfortunately no bearing on our design decisions.

Also, there is no argument -- Vista is past EoL. Win 7 is not. That is a hard line we drew when we started on UXP last November. The overlap is not the only factor involved, but it did make the decision to put it as a hard line down easier to decide upon.

:whistle:

Edited by VistaLover

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Me thinks a Windows 8 user accusing Moonchild of hypocrisy in the XP forum seems like an easy way to gain kudos, and indeed TechnoRelic seems to have liked your posts, but I don't.

Microsoft's EoL date for Windows XP was April 8, 2014. According to Pale Moon - Release Notes for Archived Versions, that was soon after version 24.4.2 was released. Did Moonchild "steadfastly" rid Pale Moon of Windows XP support by the end of the month? Absolutely not! Pale Moon 25 and 26 continued to support XP, and version 27.0.0 wasn't released until 2016-11-22 - more than 31 months after XP's EoL. If Moonchild ends support for Windows 7 before August 2022, then Windows 7 diehards would actually have something to gripe about - and btw support for Windows 8 might also end at such time...

Sigh .... no I'm not trying to get kudos of any kind, and my running Windows 8 was just for full disclosure that I personally had no fight in the game.  So don't like my posts then.  :(

Just a guess on my part but Pale Moon/UXP support will probably continue on Windows 7 for as long as Mozilla supports it and by the looks of it that's going to be a while. 68esr is good until next September and then 78esr for another year unless they break it in the next four nightly versions, highly unlikely.

Windows 7 is still being supported by Microsoft if you pay (or install a hack and get the updates for free) for three more years so it's going to be another POS Ready situation.

Edited by DanR20

Can we separate discussion about Roytam's browsers from your comments on MCP and their boards. Sorry fr being a don in the monger, but once y'alll be trying to find any relevant info in this thread through all that ot...

Too funny.

But, um, just how much "relevant info" are you expecting to find?

I personally don't see much of any herein - *ever*.

No offense, but let's not kid ourselves.

People requesting issues be fixed that also exist with "upstream"  --  irrelevant.

People requesting an Opera build  --  irrelevant.

People requesting people not use CAPITAL letters or using too many quotes  --  irrelevant.

People having problem with HTML5 but not following guidelines already set forth  --  irrelevant.

People having problem with a site they never visit but it was flagged so now they think the site should work for them  --  irrelevant.

People following the Lemming over the cliff over the newest security hype  --  irrelevant.

But I digress...

Edited by ArcticFoxie

23 hours ago, DanR20 said:

The way I run it in portable mode is to rename the basilisk folder firefox and also basilisk.exe to firefox exe then swap that with the App/firefox folder. You can put your profile named "Profile" in the data folder. 

Edit: should have mentioned that this requires downloading the portable firefox version then swapping the renamed basilisk and basilisk.exe with the portable firefox version:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla Firefox%2C Portable Ed./

Thats disgusting, why Roytam1 wouldn't think of adding portable option in the first place :} I don't like this type of workarounds :puke: if it was up to me, i would put entire settings on cloud and load it using cloud sign-in

Any program made by Mozilla natively supports portable mode. To do this, create a cmd file with the string: basilisk.exe -Profile "User" or add the -Profile "User" parameter to the shortcut. The folder User will be created in the program folder. Instead of "User", you can write any word.

8 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Any program made by Mozilla natively supports portable mode. To do this, create a cmd file with the string: basilisk.exe -Profile "User" or add the -Profile "User" parameter to the shortcut. The folder User will be created in the program folder. Instead of "User", you can write any word.

Awesome! This works :thumbup

Thanks a million :)

54 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

mentioned in FAQ in page 1.

:} That's still disgusting to make users read huge unnecessary FAQs.

Having this Portable option in Installer itself is Anytime better then making users ask here IMHO

edit: I do respect your work BTW :hello:

Edited by lama