My Browser Builds (Part 2)

This seems to be server-side for Google Spreadsheets and for my parents' Citi credit card but newest NM27, newest NM28, and newest Arctic Fox won't load Google Spreadsheets and also won't sign in at Citi.

I tried downgrading all three to no avail.  Downgraded again to no avail.  Kept downgrading several times (sometimes one week back, other times a couple months back).

Finally got both to work using palemoon-28.2.0a1.win32-git-20180929-77af3f176-xpmod.7z.

Not really sure why both stopped working and why I had to go back that far to get them to work.

Will run with 28.2.0a1 9-29-18 for a while but may eventually upgrade one week at a time and see if that leads to where the break is.

Odd that they've both worked for many many months but now all of a sudden don't work.

Didn't really have time to see if I could isolate a cause.

===========================================================================================================

Anyone else using Google Spreadsheets notice any issues recently?

Edited by ArcticFoxie

1 hour ago, adata said:

https://vintom.com/

Sorry, unsupported browser. Please upgrade or try a different browser

The site maintainers do not support the UXP-based browsers; use a pure Firefox based SSUAO, if on New Moon 28/Serpent 52.9.0 (though you did not provide any clue yourself regarding which browser you encountered this artificial block with :angry:; why are help seekers always being stingy in giving out details about their configuration?... :realmad: ).

E.g. FirefoxESR 68 (the latest supported ESR) on a Win7 64-bit host:

general.useragent.override.vintom.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

Proof on New Moon 28 32-bit run on Vista SP2 32-bit:

05fS4ov.jpg

3 hours ago, adata said:

Twitter works for me with this user agent string (an old Microsoft developmental build). This also works with Vintom.com (but not with msfn.org, strangely). (User Agent Switcher is your friend :) )

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 9.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

On 12/24/2019 at 8:45 PM, XP2019 said:

Basilisk has this default preset: "general.useragent.override.youtube.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 Basilisk/52.9.0"
- if I override it with newer "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0", it completely breaks everything on YouTube, why?

Not sure. But, it's likely that pretending to be FF 68 causes YouTube to use CSS, JavaScript, or something else that was written for post-Quantum versions of Firefox, but that Serpent doesn't understand. Instagram has a similar problem.

On 12/25/2019 at 5:02 AM, luweitest said:

I encountered the same: not only that,  some other functions (file uploading among them) got invalid. I find the simple workaround is to switch general.useragent.compatMode.firefox value to false. The true value used to work, so it must be some change at Github's side. If you would not change the compatMode, the working user agent is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:68.9) Goanna/4.5 Basilisk/52.9.0

Maybe, but it could also be due to a change in Serpent, which used to report version 60.9; now it reports version 68.9. Github often sends code that Serpent can't handle, unless you use one of a few specific user agent strings. FF 60.9 works (or at least, it used to); so does the "native" Basilisk/Serpent user agent. But FF 68.9 apparently does not.

BTW, a better approach than turning off FF compatibility mode completely is to create a SSUAO just for GitHub. That will fix GitHub without breaking other sites.

On 12/27/2019 at 3:49 PM, adata said:

My easy solution: in uMatrix, changed all spoofed User-Agent strings to newest browser versions ...

Result: no more "unsupported browser" blahblah

Check with these links:

Browser-Update.org: https://browser-update.org/update.html

"Your browser is up-to-date." -and  "What is my current browser? Your current browser is ..."

Browser Check UpdateMyBrowser.org: https://updatemybrowser.org/

"You are currently using the latest version of Firefox. That is awesome!" ... "of Chrome... awesome!"

Hi.

The dashboard Tampermonkey (4.9.5921, 4.10.6105) stopped opening (from sandwich menu and toolbar) in "basilisk52-g4.5.win32-git-20191221-fd382bb-uxp-d6baead6c-xpmod".

Clip260.1577352993.png

Error Console:

Error: Type error for parameter createProperties (Property "openerTabId" is unsupported by Firefox) for tabs.create.
Source File: moz-extension://4ce6d92c-12ce-4a8a-b310-8cfec43908cc/rea/background.js
Line: 3

Error: Cannot send message: Other side disconnected: ["MessageChannel:Response", {result:4, messageName:"231-0", recipient:{}, error:{message:"Message manager disconnected", result:(void 0)}}]
Source File: resource://gre/modules/ExtensionUtils.jsm
Line: 1092

In "basilisk52-g4.4.win32-git-20191214-dacb3da00-xpmod" no such problem.

On 12/28/2019 at 8:33 AM, roytam1 said:

since there are no significant changes from upstream, there will be no new builds today.

Hi roytam1,

On Palemoon 27 accesing the site https://instant-monitor.com will cause CPU hogging as dozens of MSVCR120.dll threads start spawning and eating CPU. Worse, these threads will keep running even after closing the site and I had to terminate "palemoon.exe" process to get it to release the system resources ...

This problem does not happens when accessing other sites, so I think it might be a bug of some kind.

UD2PCvn.png

Edited by cloudstr

13 hours ago, cloudstr said:

Hi roytam1,

On Palemoon 27 accesing the site https://instant-monitor.com will cause CPU hogging as dozens of MSVCR120.dll threads start spawning and eating CPU. Worse, these threads will keep running even after closing the site and I had to terminate "palemoon.exe" process to get it to release the system resources ...

This problem does not happens when accessing other sites, so I think it might be a bug of some kind.

All these moving are the video-thumbnails with autoplay on loop mode - so right click / unnotch "loop" mode on each one of these moving video-thumbnails.

Or right click / click "Pause" on each one of these...

Or in about:config media.autoplay.enabled set to false.

Or download SuperStop extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/superstop/?src=search - then you have to click Shift then Esc keyboard buttons to stop all animations on your tab - awesome addon! "SuperStop adds a Shift+Esc shortcut that stops background requests and animations..."

Voilà miraculous event results here: CPU usage from 95 to 100% - decrease to 0%. That's all...instant-medication.:rolleyes:

..for all Firefox based browsers...

Edited by msfntor

On 12/27/2019 at 7:03 PM, trevmar said:

Twitter works for me with this user agent string (an old Microsoft developmental build). This also works with Vintom.com (but not with msfn.org, strangely). (User Agent Switcher is your friend :) )

Welcome trevmar,

Yes, User Agent Switcher, or uMatrix yessss

On 12/27/2019 at 12:03 PM, trevmar said:

There was a never-released Windows 9 with IE 11?