My Browser Builds (Part 2)

The latest ArcticFox 27.9, New Moon 28.9, Serpent/Basilisk 52 - all are working perfectly! - all are RoyFoxes!

- I see "Arctic RoyFox", "New RoyFox", and "RoyFox 52", too "RoyFox 55" (and beyond....) new brandings, what do you think about

This is the first time I downloaded ArcticFox - this browser works very well, I want to customize it, add my lighweight theme, my extensions... then get my more complete impressions later.

Thank you RoyTam1 for your HARD and FRUITFUL work!:worship:

Edited by msfntor

1 hour ago, msfntor said:

This is the first time I downloaded ArcticFox

I think you'll be very impressed.

It's been my exclusive browser at home since mid-October.

ALL of these forks (and ALL the original non-fork bases) have a delayed load for the VERY FIRST load after a computer reboot and allowed cpu idle after reboot.

I find that this "first load" is fastest with Arctic Fox then any of the others.

The SECOND load is never an issue, loads quick and snappy, but the VERY FIRST load is lengthier.

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I think you'll be very impressed.

It's been my exclusive browser at home since mid-October.

It's thanks to you @ArcticFoxie that I have paid attention to this new (for me) browser, after the customizations I will compare the speed of loading the home page and Google page, in different browsers with the same themes and extensions.
So I'd like to welcome you to this Forum, thank you!

32 minutes ago, looking4awayout said:

Is it possible to develop an IA32/SSE version of Arctic Fox? I am in the process of rebuilding my RDD (because as you might have read, my motherboard committed suicide a couple of days ago..) and I'm curious about it.

I've built it for Linux before without SSE2. However, it is just a fork of Palemoon 27, so im not sure what point there would be.

Edited by sparty411

Howto multiple-profiles, profiles.ini etc:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/page/22/?tab=comments#comment-1173993

Mathwiz said:
> It's a bit belated, but I wanted to say thanks for that tip! It's finally given me a way to
> maintain multiple Firefox versions on the same PC, each with its own profile

That's great you found it useful yourself, thanks for telling :-)
Also for correction that obviously some browsers/versions have a slightly different folder structure, and need to step up 2 levels, not 1. Am a bit limited with testing modern browsers myself due to old (main) machine, so always glad if someone verifies. And yes, if using multiple profiles for different browser versions, it's important to include a hint which is which in newly created profile names.
Also remembered only afterwards a yet easier way to get the profilemanager at browser start:
by just adding " -P" in the commandline. Only necessary once, since the profilemanager popup offers a checkbox to start itself ALWAYS, and if checking this, no special commandline will be needed anymore. Am suspecting that checkbox does the same as manually editing profiles.ini (1 => 0), but not sure. And guess also different commandline switches needed in some browsers/versions, but at any rate it's great to know that multiple profiles still do work in modern builds! :-)

Hmm, then again: wasn't aware that the profilemanager doesn't seem to pop up anymore if there's only 1 single profile? If I read the replies right. Good to know too. Great that in such cases manual editing can still help too.

Edited by siria

On 12/18/2019 at 7:43 PM, VistaLover said:

Sometimes, the problem of the uBlock0-legacy toolbar button going AWAL after a browser restart, especially on browsers that also support Web Extensions, can be mitigated by setting (in about:config):  

extensions.ublock0.forceLegacyToolbarButton;true

The "LegacyToolbarButton" of "legacy" uB0 might better co-exist in the toolbar with adjacent buttons from other XUL extensions! ;)

qOBuoZZ.png

This updater extension doesn't work at all, not even notified of the update.

Edited by Vistaboy

@roytam1

general.useragent.compatMode.version = 68.9

According to Firefox Release Calendar the last (and final) release from 68 ESR lineup will be 68.12 (not 68.9).

BTW, github again plagued with impossibility of choosing branch from drop-down list in latest Serpent 52.9.0 release. And I experienced flickering on youtube playing HTML5 videos via Primetime CDM too.

24 minutes ago, Vistaboy said:

qOBuoZZ.png

This updater extension doesn't work at all, not even notified of the update.

Please update it to the next release, v1.6.8; on Monday, Dec 16th, uBlock0-legacy was updated to v1.16.14.12 and, at that time, uB0-updater v1.6.7 was working OK; but next day apparently, GitHub broke it, yet again, by changing their page source :angry: ; methinks this wasn't just pure coincidence, but a deliberate attempt at sabotaging this extension :realmad: ; in any case, it was yours truly (;)) who reported the breakage to the maintainer, 

https://github.com/JustOff/ublock0-updater/issues/19

who came up with working version 1.6.8 :cheerleader:; BTW, what keeps your installed version 1.6.7 from updating automatically to 1.6.8 ?
Festive regards :)

Edited by VistaLover

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Please update it to the next release, v1.6.8; on Monday, Dec 16th, uBlock0-legacy was updated to v1.16.14.12 and, at that time, uB0-updater v1.6.7 was working OK; but next day apparently, GitHub broke it, yet again, by changing their page source :angry: ; methinks this wasn't just pure coincidence, but a deliberate attempt at sabotaging this extension :realmad: ; in any case, it was yours truly (;)) who reported the breakage to the maintainer, 

https://github.com/JustOff/ublock0-updater/issues/19

who came up with working version 1.6.8 :cheerleader:; BTW, what keeps your installed version 1.6.7 from updating automatically to 1.6.8 ?
Festive regards :)

I think FF45 generally mess up with automatic extensions update: i have that option permanently checked but never see in a long time it's working. I always have to go in relative setting (wheel) and manually check update to get some response :rolleyes:

Merry holidays :hello: