My Browser Builds (Part 2)

12 hours ago, caliber said:

Problem unsolved

... methinks you're a person very hard to please... :P

12 hours ago, caliber said:

on C52 it does work just fine

... and this is not the Centauri support place... :( ; besides, the last Centauri release (v0.0.6) is from back in September, based on a much older UXP code snapshot (2019.09.05), compared with latest Serpent 52.9.0 (2019.12.13) ...

1 hour ago, caliber said:
6 hours ago, roytam1 said:

you wrongly set general.useragent.compatMode.version, please reset it.

:dubbio:https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1174455

... You're on the wrong here: In that link you reference, @roytam1 did advise you set 

general.useragent.compatMode;2

... But he now writes to you:

6 hours ago, roytam1 said:

you wrongly set general.useragent.compatMode.version, please reset it.

because from your latest about:config screengrab it appears it is custom set to a value of 2; please reset that specific pref and restart browser!

It appears you can't pay due attention to details and/or follow to the letter posted instructions; this only makes things worse for you and probably frustrates you more, directing (in a subtle way) that frustration over to the very people volunteering to assist you (at least that's how I get it here...) ...

Can you provide proof that the Adobe stub installers successfully work in your XP machine to update your Adobe Flash NPAPI installation? At least one respected member here has posted details that claim the opposite... ;)

If the Adobe stub installers don't work in XP, then your issue is a moot one...

If you still want the Adobe page that offers that stub installer to work in your Serpent 52.9.0 installation, then heed to the advice already posted (and tried): reset all your various custom about:config modifications that affect how St52 appears to sites and set the two compatModes I mentioned to true; worst case scenario, create a Firefox 60.9 SSUAO for adobe.com

It's also probable, as I've mentioned in the past, that various other issues you're having (e.g. thumbnails NOT loading) might be related to several of your own about:config modifications and improper/overzealous configuration of content blockers/privacy related extensions...

I, for one, am resigning from further dealing with that specific issue of yours... Happy troubleshooting... ;)

(Personal note: Mozilla, in their infinite (un)wisdom, did hide various important browser settings behind the about:config wall, because they were certain most "normal" users wouldn't know its existence and, hence, couldn't easily break their default (Mozilla configured) browser profiles...
While "advanced" users (the ones Mozilla just hate they even exist) wouldn't have serious problems accessing and modifying about:config prefs, I'm beginning to think some over-abuse of about:config is taking place with the UXP forks by members here... Please people, remember what the browser displays at you when you first access that section (with general.warnOnAboutConfig;true): 

hm7p9pO.jpg

) :P

Edited by VistaLover

On 12/16/2019 at 11:48 PM, caliber said:

I have always updated Flash this way and have never felt it was the typical online installer that installs a Trojan-like thing to collect data...

Adobe is supposed to be a company with excellent reputation but one never knows what's going on....

https://thehackernews.com/2019/12/avast-and-avg-browser-plugins.html

Adobe's online installer isn't a Trojan AFAIK; it's only problem is that it doesn't work on XP.

As for Avast, I'm aware of their snooping:

As I hinted in the last line, sometimes that's the price of a "free" product.

19 hours ago, VistaLover said:

It appears the Adobe site doesn't actually approve of

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:68.9) Goanna/4.4 Basilisk/20191212

which is the default UA (on Vista) of latest St52 build.

So they bumped the revision up to 68.9.... No idea why @caliber wants to be version 2 though; that's pretty a old FF version....

I'm still using version 60.9 on my user agent; most sites don't seem to complain about an "outdated dinosaur browser" as long as they think you're running a post-Quantum version.

17 hours ago, roytam1 said:

FWIW a much older build of Serpent 52.9.0 (buildID 20190531001847) reports by default

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:60.9) Goanna/4.2 Basilisk/52.9.0

Must have been changed by July 19; that version reports Basilisk/20190719

17 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I think they finally fixed general.useragent.appVersionIsBuildID to work.

In the 20190719 build, toggling it false has no effect: you still get Basilisk/20190719. But by build 20191115, toggling it false works: you get Basilisk/52.9.0. So they must have fixed it somewhere between those two points.

I doubt many sites check for a "Basilisk" UA segment, but there may be a few.

8 hours ago, msfntor said:

In Serpent 52 uBlock0 icon is missing after start of browser, but in about:addons uBlock0. is enabled. Problem appears with ancient uBlock version (1.16.4.11) or new version (1.16.4.12), after today's first downloading of the new version. 
(snipped)
but still icon is missing after starting, restarting Serpent 52 browser.

Sometimes, the problem of the uBlock0-legacy toolbar button going AWAL after a browser restart, especially on browsers that also support Web Extensions, can be mitigated by setting (in about:config):  

extensions.ublock0.forceLegacyToolbarButton;true

The "LegacyToolbarButton" of "legacy" uB0 might better co-exist in the toolbar with adjacent buttons from other XUL extensions! ;)

32 minutes ago, siria said:

roytam1 said:
> general.useragent.compatMode = 2
> general.useragent.compatMode.firefox = true
> general.useragent.compatMode.gecko = true

@caliber
your screenshot shows
general.useragent.compatMode.version = 2

general.useragent.compatMode.version => Browser version => Firefox 2
general.useragent.compatMode = 2 => special combined FF+Gecko compat in PM27

the first string is no available by default on Serpent 52 so I have no idea wether @roytam1 was actually referring to it or to the other one

I have done everything and followed all your instructions you have mentioned here but the issue persists

and YES the installer works perfect on XP. I get a window like this one.

20160503201359.png

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Sometimes, the problem of the uBlock0-legacy toolbar button going AWAL after a browser restart, especially on browsers that also support Web Extensions, can be mitigated by setting (in about:config):  

extensions.ublock0.forceLegacyToolbarButton;true

The "LegacyToolbarButton" of "legacy" uB0 might better co-exist in the toolbar with adjacent buttons from other XUL extensions! ;)

From what I see, uBlock doesn't support any icons on its left...so I put its icon at far left near address bar (this main one), then follow TrafficLight icon, then another (small) address bar, and to the right first uMatrix, then two other icons, so everyone agrees, no more problems!

Thank you @VistaLover for your about:config tip, but it seems to me that it has not improved the cohabitation, which was already at its best!:worship:

For the most part I'm satisfied with Roytam1's browser builds, but my criticism is that the "IA32" builds (most likely) don't support Windows 9x. That is one reason why I would like to see either a K-Meleon 1.5-1.6 build (For TLS 1.2 support), or a Firefox 3.6 build.

15 minutes ago, ClassicNick said:

criticism is that the "IA32" builds (most likely) don't support Windows 9x

because this is not possible to do at all. IA32 builds loosing processor requirement a bit and thats it.

Edited by roytam1

Speaking of Firefox3.6 for Win98 - just in general, have been wondering lately what the requirements are for your 2year old special tweaked Fx36 build? It works okay in my Win98 (with SSE and Kex), and had thought it would also run on Vanilla98. But doesn't seem to start for all users, as read in the win98 topic. Or perhaps it needs SEE?

And wondering if anyone might be able to just add TLS1.2 to the old K-Meleon1.6, without further tweaking?

Edited by siria

"Interesting" topic going on here...

This is a report.

Serpent 2019.12.13 (32-bit), XP SP3

Check rendering on

https://tv.avclub.com/tegridy-farms-provides-christmas-blow-in-south-park-sea-1840382286

Similar to what is shown on Firefox 52.9.0, although Serpent will load the comment applet, unlike Firefox or Chrome 49.

Several projects out there, but if they can't render pages, they aren't doing much...

On 12/4/2019 at 3:29 AM, Mathwiz said:
On 12/4/2019 at 2:45 AM, VistaLover said:

I think your quoted suggestion regarding RoyTam1's Firefox 45.9.18 under Windows XP is flawed... :(

You may be right - you usually are - but ...

Thanks for your vigilant eye :thumbup; indeed it was I the party being flawed :blushing: ... My memory did not serve me well there :( ...
Well, "errare humanum est"; that post has been updated with corrected and more complete info regarding the Adobe Primetime CDM...

Best wishes :)

27 minutes ago, msfntor said:

Vladimir Putin ‘still uses obsolete Windows XP

Linux? https://prnt.sc/qcpdy6

Looks like something from kde. Virtual desktops applet. However, it is difficult to see, because it also looks like a full-screen application and I do not know where the conclusion is that it is XP. It looks more like 7, 2008, 2012R2 with a classic theme.

I see other places, different computers, different systems. I can't see XP.

http://prnt.sc/qd6pko