My Browser Builds (Part 2)

10 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

Good news for UBO users: gorhill has updated the legacy version to 1.16.4.12. Glad to see since I actually prefer this to the newer ones.

It is thanks to Just Off.

For Raymond Hill UBO Legacy is just a waste of time:

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues/issues/810

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

22 hours ago, VistaLover said:

No doubt Beijing will soon learn of all my tests there... :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_Bingbing
FAN BINGBING is a New FAN of You -- She will email her 'thanks' soon enough! :)

Added Later: Want to say THANKS for the amount of effort that You (VL) and 'Mathwiz'
have done it here (RT Browser thread) to assist others. As for RT, the Browser support level
that he offers it here, is of an amazingly high quality. Seems good place to say that, this message.

Edited by TechnoRelic

13 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

It is thanks to Just Off.

For Raymond Hill UBO Legacy is just a waste of time

Thanks to Just Off and other contributors who are keeping the legacy software alive.

Raymond Hill has already stated that legacy UBO will get no new features, only bug fixes and filter updates but at least it's not dead. 

Edited by DanR20

On 12/17/2019 at 12:51 PM, VistaLover said:

It's also missing in New Moon 28, but that's because uBlock0 filters "took care" of it :)

Nope. it has nothing to do with ublock.

On 12/17/2019 at 1:11 PM, VistaLover said:

Though I've never been a user of either Avast nor AVG (also Avast-owned currently), thanks for that link :thumbup ; but I can't pretend I'm shocked/surprised; these are, unfortunately, standard practices these days for software companies engaged in apps accessing The Web; especially where so called "Free" versions of their products are available; your personal details (e.g. a valid e-mail address and, as reported in that article, your (sensitive?) browsing habits/history) become the price you have to pay in exchange for using their free version... :realmad: 

(semi-OT, but perhaps not so... : Off to try now latest v12 of 360ExtremeExplorer by Chinese maker QiHu (QiHoo?), based on Chromium 78... No doubt Beijing will soon learn of all my tests there... :lol: )

Happy Holidays :)

I don't care if they want to know my habits I am just afraid if they ever steal my passwords (credentials)

because other tools can do it and I really thought profile files were encrypted  https://www.gtopala.com/siw/software.php

btw your straight posts have not been merged I don't understand the craze of that hidden person for doing so all the time nonstop. it makes posts unreadable.....

14 hours ago, caliber said:

the ''optional offer'' is missing on Serpent 52

screenshot-175.png

and when I click the yellow button it takes me to adobe.com

screenshot-176.png

1 hour ago, caliber said:

Nope. it has nothing to do with ublock.

... Apologies are in order :blushing: ; I was testing previously in my current (dirty) Serpent 52.9.0 profile (and in my dirty NM28 one...); I decided to take a dose of my own medication (:whistle:) and checked your issue on a newly created (fresh) Serpent 52.9.0 profile (latest win32 build, 2019.12.13) and, sure enough, I was able to reproduce!

The troubleshooting was easy, as is the fix: Change both Firefox and Gecko compatModes to true (default is false) and reload the page:

general.useragent.compatMode.firefox;true
general.useragent.compatMode.gecko;true

You should be good then!

ofz9kNC.jpg

It appears the Adobe site doesn't actually approve of

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:68.9) Goanna/4.4 Basilisk/20191212

which is the default UA (on Vista) of latest St52 build... :angry:

BTW, @roytam1 , I noticed something that looks bizarre to me, latest Serpent 52.9.0 reports its buildID (20191212) inside the UA, is that normal? Was this changed upstream or by you? I recall it used to report its version number, Basilisk/52.9.0... Sadly, I would expect many more sites to become broken with the current default UA string (no Gecko/Firefox parts) when they see a browser version in the "20 millions" range, that they probably don't know how to handle... :dubbio:

I'm tired/lazy :P now to do a proper bisection of this issue, FWIW a much older build of Serpent 52.9.0 (buildID 20190531001847) reports by default

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:60.9) Goanna/4.2 Basilisk/52.9.0

So please, do kindly investigate this (regression?) ... ;)

:wub:

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Apologies are in order :blushing: ; I was testing previously in my current (dirty) Serpent 52.9.0 profile (and in my dirty NM28 one...); I decided to take a dose of my own medication (:whistle:) and checked your issue on a newly created (fresh) Serpent 52.9.0 profile (latest win32 build, 2019.12.13) and, sure enough, I was able to reproduce!

The troubleshooting was easy, as is the fix: Change both Firefox and Gecko compatModes to true (default is false) and reload the page:

You should be good then!

ofz9kNC.jpg

It appears the Adobe site doesn't actually approve of

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:68.9) Goanna/4.4 Basilisk/20191212

which is the default UA (on Vista) of latest St52 build... :angry:

BTW, @roytam1 , I noticed something that looks bizarre to me, latest Serpent 52.9.0 reports its buildID (20191212) inside the UA, is that normal? Was this changed upstream or by you? I recall it used to report its version number, Basilisk/52.9.0... Sadly, I would expect many more sites to become broken with the current default UA string (no Gecko/Firefox parts) when they see a browser version in the "20 millions" range, that they probably don't know how to handle... :dubbio:

I'm tired/lazy :P now to do a proper bisection of this issue, FWIW a much older build of Serpent 52.9.0 (buildID 20190531001847) reports by default

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:60.9) Goanna/4.2 Basilisk/52.9.0

So please, do kindly investigate this (regression?) ... ;)

:wub:

maybe I can turn those compatmode on instead?

and for buildID in user agent, I think they finally fixed general.useragent.appVersionIsBuildID to work.

Edited by roytam1

On 12/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, VistaLover said:

You should be good then!

Problem unsolved. on C52 it does work just fine

I will set it back to false again because as I said one month ago in some sites thumbnails do not show up.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1173236

screenshot-177.png

On 12/18/2019 at 3:27 AM, caliber said:

Problem unsolved. on C52 it does work just fine

I will set it back to false again because as I said one month ago in some sites thumbnails do not show up.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1173236

do you have a global general.useragent.override value? this will override those settings.

In Serpent 52: Tools/Preferences/Privacy - I don't have "Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows", "Learn more", "Change Block List" items ...but have these in Serpent 55. Is this normal, please?

After downloading the latest version of uBlock O. (1.16.4.12), icon not present after start of browser (uBlock is enabled) - but after disable/enable/disable/enable - icon is present after restart of browser...if I don't start ancient version of Serpent 52 I have. Repeat enable/disable/enable/disable - and icon is here...

"My filters" list have only partially...

If retourned to precedent uBlock version - have this same symptoms...

These uBlock Origin problems I've in Serpent 52 and Serpent 55.

Edit:

I no longer have any problem with the icon, because I left only one another icon near uBlock icon, by moving a third one elsewhere (with "Customize" browser's function)....

Edit2:

In Serpent 52 uBock icon is missing after start of browser, but in about:addons uBlock O. is enabled. Problem appears with ancient uBlock version (1.16.4.11) or new version (1.16.4.12), after today's first downloading of the new version. Customize browser function does not solve the problem. Icon appears after click on disable/enable uBlock in about:addons...No content if click on icon, small frame only... Before, with a click on the icon the window content sometimes appeared, but now - no more.

So once again downloading the new version fixed the content problem, click on icon shows the complete window content. - but still icon is missing after starting, restarting Serpent 52 browser.

In Serpent 55 (with new uBlock version) icon is present after starting browser, no icon problem.

Edit3:

Found the culprit. This is TrafficLight (v0.2.4.1-signed1 -signed) icon.

Presence of TrafficLight icon next to uBlock O. (new version) icon has created these problems (in my Serpent 52). Moved TrafficLight icon, No more uBlock icon problems!

And fortunately in "My Documents" I had recent backup of "My Filters" list....

Edited by msfntor

On 12/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, Mathwiz said:

Online installers for Adobe Flash no longer work on Windows XP. Use the links to the offline installers posted by @Bersaglio here:

On 12/16/2019 at 11:48 PM, caliber said:

this is not true.

It is true. The online installer downloads and launches, and on Win 7 it runs fine. But on XP this happens:

Capture.thumb.PNG.3ec6622baa7ca088c08c57bb89e97562.PNG

The offline installers at the links @Bersaglio posts work fine on XP.

roytam1 said:
> general.useragent.compatMode = 2
> general.useragent.compatMode.firefox = true
> general.useragent.compatMode.gecko = true

@caliber
your screenshot shows
general.useragent.compatMode.version = 2

general.useragent.compatMode.version => Browser version => Firefox 2
general.useragent.compatMode = 2 => special combined FF+Gecko compat in PM27

PM26 + PM28 (+KMG74, and other?) browsers use:
general.useragent.compatMode.firefox = true/false
general.useragent.compatMode.gecko = true/false

PM27 browsers (incl. KMG76) use:
general.useragent.compatMode (INT)
0 = goanna + PM
1 = goanna + gecko + PM
2 = goanna + gecko + PM + Firefox

No harm in setting all 3 prefs at once, the browsers will just ignore prefs they don't know