My Browser Builds (Part 2)

5 hours ago, roytam1 said:

but it still crash with 0xc000001d in (PCem emulated) K6-2.

probably becasue a Socket 7. K6-2 has no SSE 1 or SSE 2.  K6-2 only has MMX and 3DNOW.

The first AMD CPU to have SSE was  Socket A. Athlon. AMD didn't have SSE2 until Socket 754 Athalon64.

Edited by Destro

On 12/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, looking4awayout said:

Usually, everything Mozilla deems as "good" is the complete opposite, unfortunately...

... which is why I added

On 12/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, looking4awayout said:

(what they thought was)

;)

1 hour ago, msfntor said:

RoyTam1's Firefox 45.9.18: Twitter videos doesn't play:

You need to install the Adobe Primetime CDM.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:06 PM, looking4awayout said:

Usually, everything Mozilla deems as "good" is the complete opposite, unfortunately...

... I don't want to derail this thread, but I recently became aware of the following extended article:

Mozilla - Devil Incarnate

It's certainly an eye opener for those that have little to do with Mozilla internals, most certainly a recommended read... :P
 Having been a Firefox Nightly tester (from versions 27.0a1 all the way to 46.0a1, then briefly from versions 51.0a1 to 53.0a1=EoS for Vista SP2 :realmad:), having been a subscriber on both Bugzilla and the Nightly Testers mailing list, I can assure you the attitude exhibited by most Mozilla devs towards anyone in the user base not condoning their "devine" decisions is pretty accurately detailed in the linked article...

E.g., I, with several other Vista users, tried - in vain - to persuade them not to put Vista in the same boat as XP and, hopefully, extend Vista support further, past Fx 52 (up-to-version 54.0 could've been easy), but was met with a brick wall - their pretenses were that Vista was too much of a burden to support resource-wise and they insisted I switch to Linux; and that was at a time (circa end of 2016) when Firefox users on Linux were 1/20th of the Vista users...

I recall I persevered and tested the whole 53.0a1 development cycle on my Vista machine many days after they made everything in their power to block 53.0a1 on Vista; when the installers blocked the OS, I switched to the "zip" packages and continued telling them that their - then - current code remains Vista compatible and that they were wrong to drop Vista support so soon - they were really mad and unsure as to how I was able to pull this through, until another user pointed to them (!) that the standalone executables (firefox.exe) would launch on NT6.0; then they quickly patched that by raising subsystem version to 6.1 in the EXE's PE header; but I used PE_patch (or similar tools) to undo their artificial block and set it back to 6.0; they went livid when I posted with a Nightly 54.0a1 version running on Vista SP2: 

8ugkMEu.jpg

... But eventually they started using their new shiny toy, Rust programming language, which, when compiled, only targets Win7+, thus my 54.0a1 testing experiments ended abruptly... :realmad:

In fairness, very few code authors like it when their coding decisions are being challenged by the user base; I've witnessed this in many instances and this is certainly true with Moonchild Productions team, too; simply browse their official forum and GitHub tracker, where any "questioning" voice (outside their narrow circle of devs) is quickly muffled (more politely by Moonchild himself, brutally by you know whom...) :angry:

But in the end, if I had to choose between a Google product and a Mozilla one, the lesser of two evils is the obvious choice...

On 12/4/2019 at 12:10 AM, Mathwiz said:
On 12/3/2019 at 10:45 PM, msfntor said:

RoyTam1's Firefox 45.9.18: Twitter videos doesn't play:

You need to install the Adobe Primetime CDM.

As posted in the past, since my old Intel Core 2 Duo processor (Merom) does support the SSE2 instructions set, I've not had the curiosity to try Firefox (Nightly) 45.9.x on this laptop, happily using the UXP forks, rarely Serpent 55.0.0. But, from memory, I think your quoted suggestion regarding RoyTam1's Firefox 45.9.18 under Windows XP is flawed...

1. EME support in the Mozilla Firefox browser in the form of the Adobe Primetime CDM first materialised in Firefox 38.0; the CDM targeted Windows only OSes and was only visible from Vista SP2 onwards ;) ; in a later Firefox version (unsure exactly which :dubbio:), it was made available to Windows XP, too; but the makers, Adobe, didn't want to support APCDM for DRM purposes under XP, especially since the initial implementation of it, v15, had issues on that OS; the Mozilla team couldn't make their minds up whether to keep the CDM on XP or not: they kept un-hiding and then hiding it again for a certain period (:angry:), especially when the next iteration of it (v17 - v16 was only 64-bit) was offered by Adobe (with lesser issues on XP):

Unhide Adobe GMP on Windows XP
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1234099

Make Adobe GMP available to Windows XP users in Firefox 45 and later
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1234100

GMP crash or garbled HE-AAC audio when playing MP4 decoded using Adobe's GMP
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1236756

Hide Adobe GMP on Windows XP in Firefox 46 and 47.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1265928

On supported OSes, the CDM was automatically downloaded and installed in Fx <=46.0; in v47.0-51.0, in new profiles, it was only downloaded and installed on demand, when visiting a media site that asked for it (although previous installations of the CDM in existing "dirty" profiles, put there under Fx < 47.0, remained unaffected).

Support was officially disabled by Mozilla in Firefox v52.0 for all WinOSes, because, by then, the Audio-Video media industry had completely moved over to (Google acquired) Widevine CDM for enforcing DRM on copyrighted content (the WVCDM first appeared in Firefox v47.0 and is visible on Vista SP2+) ; in Fx 52.0/ESR 52.x.x, the APCDM would no longer be downloaded on demand in a new profile, previous installations of it get disabled; but the underlying support code was still left intact; that code was finally completely removed in Fx v53.0 (compatible with Win7+).

At least on Vista (SP2), FxESR 45.9.1 downloads and installs APCDM v15 automatically: 

TaJUbDj.jpg

2. From a previous exchange with Roy in these forums, it was made known to me that to get proper h264/aac decoding support on that fork under XP, needed for HTML5 embedded MP4 video, you'll have to download and place inside the browser's main installation folder (not its profile) the LAV filters DLLs that were made available previously to get the same feature for the New Moon 27.x.x/Tycho fork:

Q: Can't play H264 clips? (for PM27/KM76)
A: Download following packages for your browser edition(32bit/64bit) and extract DLLs to same place as palemoon.exe lives.
  32bit LAV dlls are in separated package (extracted from K-Lite codec pack 13.5.5)
  https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/lav.7z

Just in case if you have an older processor which has no SSE instruction set support:
    32bit NoSSE (ffmpeg 3.1.1 lite build)
    https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/lav-dll-lite-mmx.7z
    32bit No ASM (ffmpeg 3.1.1 lite build, if build above doesn't work on your processor)
    https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/lav-dll-lite-noasm.7z

64bit LAV dlls are in separated package (LAV Filters 64bit 0.70.2)
  https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/lav64.7z

@roytam1 : Post #1 in the original thread is now locked, so probably you can't edit that yourself now (nor can I properly quote the above excerpt :(); perhaps a mod can, or you could add that FxESR 45.9.x specific bit on post #1 of this second (continuation) thread ? Thanks!

Sadly, even with the above decoders installed, it's not definite Twitter clips will play OK; they use MPEG-DASH and/or HLS streams, which require MSE support in the browser; I'm not sure how mature is Fx45's MSE implementation for those vids to work... :dubbio:

Edited by VistaLover
19/12/2019: Corrected (thanks @Mathwiz) and added additional info regarding Adobe Primetime CDM support in the Firefox browser.

34 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

I think your quoted suggestion regarding RoyTam1's Firefox 45.9.18 under Windows XP is flawed... :(

You may be right - you usually are - but ...

On 5/11/2016 at 11:02 AM, mixit said:

I've been trying it out with FF 46 (later also confirmed with 45, 52 ESR and 47-52) on XP Pro SP3 x86 (with POSReady updates, though I doubt that matters any) for about a week now, and the experience has been pretty encouraging. The vast majority of HTML5 videos have worked without a hitch; ~5% have had 1-2 temporary freezes (the video stops, the audio continues with some crackle), which can be easily worked around by moving the video position slider back a bit and then forward again to where the freeze happened.

Reveal hidden contents

Ignore this section and use the instructions for manual install after it. The instructions in here were applicable when the Adobe CDM was still available for automatic online install and are being kept for historical reasons.

45.x.x ESR users: also change media.gmp-manager.url or the Primetime plugin won't get downloaded for you. The default value is "https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/%OS_VERSION%/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml", change only the bolded portion as follows: "https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/46.0/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/%OS_VERSION%/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml". The host in your default may be something other than aus5.mozilla.org, you only need to change the %VERSION% part.
52.x.x ESR users starting with a clean profile (or any other profile without an already installed Primetime plugin) should do the same, only replace %VERSION% with 51.0 instead.

After this, when you check your Plugins list, you should see a notice about the Primetime plugin getting downloaded shortly. If you don't want to wait, check for updates manually (from the gear button dropdown menu). The plugin files will be placed in the gmp-eme-adobe subfolder under your FF profile.

Reveal hidden contents

There was some discussion about this in the Chrome thread, but I thought it better to create a separate topic instead of having posts buried in a different thread. The most relevant parts are here: 1 (VistaLover), 2 (dencorso), 3 (VistaLover). Since it appears to have ended on a failure, I'm taking the liberty of restating some of what was covered by them. I don't mean to overstep or hog the glory by any means, so if the mods want to prepend those posts to this thread, I have no objection.

P.S. Hi everyone and thanks for the truckloads of useful information that's been posted here in the past. I've been lurking for about 1.5 years already and thought it was about time to contribute something.

... so I think it's at least worth a try.

19 hours ago, roytam1 said:

branch will be renamed to SSE later.

Even though it works on MMX-only??
forgot to mention till now, but it does not still work on the K6, as I expected, due to the K6 having a half-baked MMX. I do not beleive this to be a bug.
But as I believe I stated, the serpent IA32 build works completely fine on my Mendocino 500MHz PII-Based Celeron with MMX only and not any SSE.

:)

Here's even a shot of it running on the MMX-only mendocino

image0.jpg

Edited by i430VX
clarify

that is strange.  I googled 0xc000001d and several results listed as a SSE error, even though you say the browser will run with MMX only.

AMD always has these bugs for years, They even have incomplete SSE instructions on CPUs as late as Athlon 64 X2. as seen here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/error_message/en350007

It probably has to do with incomplete SIMD implementation on the K6, or that Mendocino may have early incomplete SSE SIMD instructions but I can't find anything official about that.  It's hard to know I don't think its worth fixing.

AMD K8 Slot A, Pentium II, P55C, K6, Pentium Pro and Xeon II are pretty much the only CPUs that benefit from MMX only build and all of those users combined is less users than Pentium III users who have SSE. To be totally honest PIII is long in the tooth as it is and even with DUAL socket pentium III 1000 Browsing the web is slow and you still can't watch youtube cuz its slow

Edited by Destro

On 11/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, i430VX said:

I have updated my Unofficial RoyTam1 browser installer to version 3.01!
change log:
-fixed download of FF45 SSE (was downloading a .gpc file instead of the 7z)

as always, keep me updated with bugs, feature requests, and problems.

get it here:
http://i430vx.net/files/XP/RoyTam Browser Installer.exe

WOW-big christmas present also for my pension on my SSE-PC.
But: 1a) it will still give the already posted error-only i have to ignore..-see image.

2a) I ran the installer in administrator-account, i start-section i remove the old links which i set.. Have now these problems:
2b) Where to see in browser which version?
2c) i only see my browsers: Firefox Nightly 45.9.18(blue), KM_Goana, Palemoon SSE in administrators-account.
in restricted account i see only Firefox 4530(6050) ESR. 6050 not shown in browser. In Programme(german)-folder i see palemoonsse and km-goanna(with its resp. subfolders) but they are empty(restricted account, i installed in admin-account. FF 45.30 ESR i see but where is FF45SSE Nightly(45.9.18.7265)?

Before installer worked i had to start from folders and start-links were set.
Can only run the three installed browsers in administrator-account!

INSTALLER_ERROR.jpg

Edited by 3dreal

On 12/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, grey_rat said:

Tor Browser 7.5.6 (Firefox 52.9) work on Non-SSE2

I tested on SSE by running Youtube the beatles. worked for a while(and took some songs till no audio-interruptions) then stopped. beside this script_problems. maybe my ill pc with less space left. 6gb system. will further observe.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:40 AM, VistaLover said:

This was posted in the past (in the now closed original thread), but the official Mozilla langpack for FxESR 45.9.0 should do:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/45.9.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi

Install, restart browser, in about:config set general.useragent.locale;de, restart once more... ;)

Nightly prevents from installation. SSE here. Yes i had set the xpinstall.signatures.required to false- long beforehand.

4 hours ago, i430VX said:

Even though it works on MMX-only??
forgot to mention till now, but it does not still work on the K6, as I expected, due to the K6 having a half-baked MMX. I do not beleive this to be a bug.
But as I believe I stated, the serpent IA32 build works completely fine on my Mendocino 500MHz PII-Based Celeron with MMX only and not any SSE.

Here's even a shot of it running on the MMX-only mendocino

image0.jpg

any chance to have a screenshot with sp52-ia32 and cpu-z in same picture?

19 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

any chance to have a screenshot with sp52-ia32 and cpu-z in same picture?

I have managed to do a workaround to the broken tiled compositing of SP52. I got APZ working, but as soon as you enable Tiled Compositing, I get black squares and scrolling lags badly. To get it working, I had to disable APZ scrollbar, unfortunately. Kinda cheated but hey, it works, better than no acceleration at 1024x768. This problem affects every 52 ESR-based browser so it's not your fault.

Would it be possible to implement the Tiled Compositing routines of 45 ESR into 52?

I have done many steps forward tonight and I'm very close to achieve full hardware acceleration on 52 ESR based browsers, on very old single core systems. If it's possible to port the tiled compositing routines of 45 ESR to 52 ESR (and so, Serpent), it would make SSErpent another great alternative for people who have SSE only systems, as the UOC Patch would finally fully accelerate it. ;)

Edited by looking4awayout