My Browser Builds (Part 2)

roytam1 said:
> some little experiment: tried to build non-SSE2 build of UXP
> (Notice: even it is pushed to its own branch, no regular builds will be created
> as whole thing is actually walking a tightrope and anything can be happened)

Cool. Of course makes me wonder now: could this possibly mean the hope for KM is rising a bit too...? ;-)

1 hour ago, siria said:

Of course makes me wonder now: could this possibly mean the hope for KM is rising a bit too...?

from my limited investigation, newer gecko/goanna changed lots of APIs making javascript calls from outside becoming almost impossible, which makes KM porting becoming difficult.

Hi RoyTam1, tested your Serpent 52 Non-SSE2 test build, It's working beautifully on my Pentium III 1.4GHz. Once I finish tweaking it I expect it to run even better. But even as of now, discord web (which, if you aren't familiar, is very bloated and slow, even a bit sluggish on my Core Duo ThinkPad) is quite usable on the PIII using that browser. It's truly amazing. I'd imagine you may find more optimizations to make, as the build is in it's infancy.
Keep up the good work, dude!

:D

20 minutes ago, i430VX said:

Hi RoyTam1, tested your Serpent 52 Non-SSE2 test build, It's working beautifully on my Pentium III 1.4GHz. Once I finish tweaking it I expect it to run even better. But even as of now, discord web (which, if you aren't familiar, is very bloated and slow, even a bit sluggish on my Core Duo ThinkPad) is quite usable on the PIII using that browser. It's truly amazing. I'd imagine you may find more optimizations to make, as the build is in it's infancy.
Keep up the good work, dude!

:D

Roger that. I have tested the build and it works wonderfully on the RDD. I still haven't UOC'ed the browser yet, but I will once the new rewrite for 45 ESR SSE is done. If the Patch works as it should and if the extensions I use don't bog Serpent down, I think I might have found a replacement web browser for the RDD... 😏

Edited by looking4awayout

15 hours ago, roytam1 said:

you can get the experiment build here. Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any crash/damage caused by this build. You should always test such builds on its own profile.

Good stuff! Firefox 45.9 ESR and Pale Moon 27 have been problematic as of late. I had to relegate the Athlon XP to Debian Sid, so I could compile UXP without SSE2 and get a usable browser. Looks like I may be moving back to XP now 👏

Edited by sparty411

grey_rat wrote:

"It works, but slowly."

On my Windows -

No changes here between these two latest versions of Serpent 52, they are identical and behave identically.
With 15 extensions I have for now, and scripts disabled, Performance (best result):
Google page loaded after: 0.88 s.,
Nightly Start Page loaded: 0.30 s.

To compare with Roytam1's latest Firefox 45 performance (10 extensions here) - best result:
Google page loaded after: 0.35 s.
Nightly Start Page loaded: 0.20 s.

Measured with "App. telemetry Page Speed Monitor" extension.

Edit:

It's true that I'm running the modern Windows XP Professional 32 Bit, so that's why I don't see any differences between these two builds of Serpent/Basilisk 52.
And Roytam1's Firefox 45 is really nice, indeed, I keep it because of its great responsiveness.
Seriously think about getting rid of Borealis Roytam1's build, which is useless to me, cause it's without extensions.

Edited by msfntor

I have been testing SSErpent (just a nick I gave to the browser due to it working on SSE only systems) and while it does work, it's a little bit on the slow side.

I am studying the about:config of the browser and I'm fairly confident that I can develop a UOC Patch for it. And if I successfully manage to develop it, I can port the changes to the regular 52ESR and NM28 versions.

Since SSErpent does not support E10S, I will not implement it. But apparently it has working APZ, which is good. Tiled compositing is still broken but I think I could be able to compensate that.

Give me some time guys. :)

Edited by looking4awayout

I tried the new serpent build on an even older PC, since I saw "ia32" I figured it didn't even need SSE. However it does not appear to run. Does the Serpent ia32 build require SSE, and as such is a bit mislabeled, or is NoSSE support just not working right now but intended to be at some point?

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m with a Pentium 4 Mobile (SSE2 compatible), and running Windows 2000 Pro USP 5.1 with Unofficial Update Rollup (Nov. 30th 2014). In My Experience, I can run most Windows XP only software, but applications that require SSE2 support don't work. I tested Serpent SSE, but I get an error message "The procedure entry point CoGetInterceptorFromTypeInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll". "Could't load XPCOM. I will post a screen shot shortly. I use K-Meleon 76.2 Goanna 20191019, and Newmoon 27.9.6 (20190223) and both work well. Congratulations on your browser builds!

2 minutes ago, ClassicNick said:

"The procedure entry point CoGetInterceptorFromTypeInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll".

maybe you need newer KernelEx from blackwingcat.

2 hours ago, looking4awayout said:

SSErpent does not support E10S

IIRC I didn't remove any e10s bits from my UXP repo.

1 hour ago, i430VX said:

since I saw "ia32" I figured it didn't even need SSE. However it does not appear to run.

it is because "IA32" refers to "-arch:SSE2" is replaced with "-arch:IA32", and I don't know if MS runtime will require SSE or not, haven't have a deeper look on them.
I wonder if there is any error/crash with 0xc000001d?