My Browser Builds (Part 2)

On 11/23/2019 at 1:11 AM, roytam1 said:

New build of Serpent/UXP for XP!

Test binary:
Win32 https://o.rths.ml/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.4.win32-git-20191123-21fdc3e93-xpmod.7z

<snipped>

NM28XP build:
Win32 https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/palemoon-28.8.0a1.win32-git-20191123-21fdc3e93-xpmod.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
<snipped>

My changes since my last build:
- restored XP compat in nsMessengerWinIntegration
- Reverted Bug 1338715 - Remove Outlook Express import (7047b11cf)
- applied NSPR Bug 1586070 - Read does not advance file position for files larger than 4GB on Win32. (See also bug 70765.) r=kaie
- updated to nss-3.44.3

... But I think you neglected to include in your custom changes: 

- Hidden preference to toggle addon version in addon manager

1. Restore add-on version numbers
2. Hidden preference to toggle add-on version in add-on manager

Puts Show add-on version in add-on manager add-on list behind user preference
"extensions.addonVersionInfo", currently on (true) by default (Change ported from Waterfox)

which did land in the 20191123 builds of both Serpent 52 & New Moon 28 (PR authored by @Mathwiz ) :P

Edited by VistaLover

7 hours ago, DanR20 said:

In Windows 7 decoding works good for me with media.wmf.enabled to true

Yes, I have verified that on a Win7SP1 64-bit laptop, where the same Serpent 52.9.0 32-bit build will have no problem playing back Twitter gifs with Win7's native WMF h264 decoder :cheerleader:, whereas on Vista it would barf, as already posted... :(

FWIW, Vista's WMF implementation (which requires SP2 to be present) is notably inferior to the one present in Win7; Win7 OEM was released with native h264 decoding support present, while on Vista it was implemented via post-SP2 Microsoft updates (and, I suspect, as best as Vista's then internals would allow... :} ).

1 hour ago, luweitest said:

Is this really imported to Serpent? But I don't see any mail or news related functions.

It was imported into the UXP platform, which is shared by Serpent, NM, BNavigator, and MailNews. But it probably only affects MailNews, not the others.

15 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Yes, I have verified that on a Win7SP1 64-bit laptop, where the same Serpent 52.9.0 32-bit build will have no problem playing back Twitter gifs with Win7's native WMF h264 decoder :cheerleader:, whereas on Vista it would barf, as already posted... :(

Sort of a weird situation: it works on XP (because it doesn't have WMF at all), and also on Win 7, but not on Vista (unless you disable WMF, a cure generally worse than the disease).

3 hours ago, msfntor said:

media.hardware-video-decoding.enabled - change to false (user set),

I would advise against this setting for those combinations of Windows OSes (Vista SP2 and up) and GPUs where hardware video (h264) decoding is actually possible and the default; disabling HVD delegates h264 decoding to the CPU, which may have (depending on the CPU) a significant performance toll (especially on high res videos) ...

Additionally, I'm not quite sure whether the above "media." pref has any actual bearing on XP (where HVD via WMF is not possible) ... :dubbio:

8 hours ago, msfntor said:

media.hardware-video-decoding.enabled - change to false (user set),

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I would advise against this setting for those combinations of Windows OSes (Vista SP2 and up) and GPUs where hardware video (h264) decoding is actually possible and the default; disabling HVD delegates h264 decoding to the CPU, which may have (depending on the CPU) a significant performance toll (especially on high res videos) ...

Additionally, I'm not quite sure whether the above "media." pref has any actual bearing on XP (where HVD via WMF is not possible) ... :dubbio:

Yeah, probably it was my wrong impressions, I guess today.

The text in this example deteriorates during watching here:

https://twitter.com/rajithegame/status/1175473097794818048

So what could I do to improve the quality of watching Twitter videos, please? Probably nothing...

Extensions problems:

Would it be possible to complete the code of Roytam1's browsers to increase the compatibility of extensions from addons.mozilla.org, addons.thunderbird.net, legacycollector.org?
The latest version of Roytam1's BNAV Borealis, which supports my version 1.16.4.10 of uBlock Origin, is from 2019/09/07. All the next Borealis browser versions check and reject uBlock O.

In Add-ons Manager I read: "uBlock Origin is incompatible with browser 0.9.0a1." - so it's disabled, only have this "Remove" button. And no possibility to download other add-ons, all "incompatible with Browser 0.9.0a1".

Edited by msfntor
"BNAV Borealis" ...

4 hours ago, msfntor said:

The latest version of Roytam1's BNAV Basilisk, which supports my version 1.16.4.10 of uBlock Origin, is from 2019/09/07. All the next Borealis browser versions check and reject uBlock O.

For RT BNAV Browser, this LEGACY version should install for you:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/firefox-legacy-1.16.4.11

I am using this (nested properly) in the INSTALL.RDF file for authorizing the Add-On (Extension) on it:

<!-- RT BNAV Borealis Navigator XP -->
        <em:targetApplication>
            <Description>
                <em:id>{a3210b97-8e8a-4737-9aa0-aa0e607640b9}</em:id>
                <em:minVersion>0.1.0a1</em:minVersion>
                <em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion>
            </Description>
        </em:targetApplication>
     <!-- RT BNAV Borealis Navigator XP -->

Not sure if the "0.1.0a1" matters in this situation, or the 'Asterisk' either.
The 'MAT' person did something on his 'end' related to the BNAV 'Version' a bit back in time.

Would it be possible to complete the code of Roytam1's browsers to increase the compatibility of extensions from addons.mozilla.org, addons.thunderbird.net, legacycollector.org?

Serpent, at least, should have very few problems with legacycollector.org. Improving support for AMO would require porting more WebEx APIs from FF 54+; I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that wouldn't be easy. As for ATN....

The latest version of Roytam1's BNAV Basilisk, which supports my version 1.16.4.10 of uBlock Origin, is from 2019/09/07. All the next Borealis browser versions check and reject uBlock O.

BNavigator / MailNews are unique since MAT restarted their version numbering. Most extensions are compatible but don't realize they're compatible, so they refuse to install. BNav probably needs a "Seamonkey compatibility" mode in which it pretends to be SM 2.49.6 or something for purposes of installing add-ons.

In Add-ons Manager I read: "uBlock Origin is incompatible with browser 0.9.0a1." - so it's disabled, only have this "Remove" button. And no possibility to download other add-ons, all "incompatible with Browser 0.9.0a1".

A site-specific user agent override should fix that specific issue, letting you at least download add-ons from ATN (though you'll still need to patch them after downloading as @TechnoRelic explained). Go into about:config and create a new string preference general.useragent.override.addons.thunderbird.net and set it to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5.

7 hours ago, msfntor said:

FWIW on FF 45.9.xx no problem going beyond legacy with uBlock0 1.18.16, so with SP52.9...

Well, there may be a bit of a problem: Gorhill upped the minimum required version to 55 in 1.18:

image.png.def93b5286bccdfe88c5ec53d6e1f86d.png

It still runs OK on older versions, but to get it from AMO, you must spoof your FF version number to 55 in the URL (at extensions.update.url and extensions.update.background.url) and user agent (at general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org), or AMO won't offer anything past 1.17.4. Then you have to click "See all versions" and scroll down to 1.18.16 (newer versions won't run).

It's probably simpler to get uBO from GitHub instead.

Next, you need to edit the minimum version requirement down from 55 to the FF/Serpent version you're running. This will invalidate the signature, so you should remove that too, making it an unsigned extension.

In FF 52 ESR, you then have to set xpinstall.signatures.required to false to install it. That's the default in @roytam1's builds, so you don't have to worry about that with his builds.

(BTW, it's possible to install an unsigned extension in non-ESR FF builds too, but it's trickier: you have to set up some JavaScript to run at browser startup.)

Edit: BNavigator is UXP-based too, so the uBO 1.18.16 should work there also, after the usual "surgery" required to install anything on that browser (including removing the signature).

One more thing: Serpent 55 is different! Because it identifies as FF 55, you don't need to edit the minimum version, and AMO will offer 1.18.nn, but it will also offer newer versions that won't run! You can get around that by downloading and installing 1.18.16, then spoofing Serpent's version number as 53 so AMO won't keep offering incompatible "upgrades."

Finally, after all that, you'll find that a few uBO options are greyed out. Are you really that determined to run 1.18.16?

To avoid all this rigamarole, use the latest "legacy" version, 1.16.4.11, and install uBO Updater, which forces the browser to look for uBO updates at GitHub, and to only look for the latest 1.16.4.nn version. No options are greyed out in the legacy version.

Edited by Mathwiz

The latest pre-release language packs targeting the Pale Moon unstable channel (at v28.8.0a1 atm) have been uploaded just minutes ago:

https://github.com/JustOff/pale-moon-localization/releases/tag/28.8.0_RC1

They should be natively compatible with New Moon 28.8.0a1 (i.e. without having to modify install.rdf file) :)

Edited by VistaLover