Hard Disk reliability leaderboard

Just a fun topic, if anyone wants to see what kind of life their old hard disks have.

After my recent panic of experiencing a disk failure that contained critical data at the office, I had realised that I had never had done a backup at home. So I had gone out and bought an external hard disk with some backup software. Before doing so, I decided to check out the Power On Hours of three of the four HDDs in the system, to see how long I had really gone dodging a data loss bullet. These disks are all in my "daily driver" Windows 7 32bit PC which I had posted about in the Windows 7 Uptime thread.

First up is a SATA disk Western Digital 80 GB WD800AAJS-00B4A0 with Power On Hours of 90701 (3779 days, 10.3 years)
sYGF81a.jpg

But then there is this IDE data drive, Maxtor 80 GB 6L080L4 with Power On Hours of 139645 (5818 days, 15.9 years)
85OkkU3.jpg

And this other IDE HDD, Maxtor 20 GB 6L020J1 with Power On Hours of 139783 (5824 days, 15.9 years)
voOcCM0.jpg

The two IDE HDDs were from my Windows XP computer. I even remember buying that 20 GB disk at CompUSA for $100.

• 1 year later...

These hard drives are still working but are relatively new. 320 AAJ was used in a plastic Gigapod enclosure in the past, and therefore has a temperature reading of 61 °C. HDD VN is "new" but shows very low power cycle and load/unload cycle count. I used HDAT2 to lock the DCO where it accidentally saved the power management setting that prevents it from parking the heads.

Apparently Crystal knows how to access smart over a RAID controller where other software fails.

Clipboard04.png

Clipboard05.png

Clipboard06.png

• 2 weeks later...

They are old system, temp, swap and backup partitions. Even though I don't use some of them for the original purpose, I can't easily remove them.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Guys , is this OK to ask in this topic what HDDs are currently good , but no less than 6TB ? I mean CMR tech., I fed up with WD lies ! 

WD black 3.5" is good one without CMR. Toshiba has SMR on many disks, but avoid cheap p300 ones. Here is list ones to avoid from toshiba if do not want CMR source. I do not know from seagates since have not been used them for quite time.

Toshiba P3006TB 3.5-inch

Toshiba P3004TB 3.5-inch

Toshiba DT026TB 3.5-inch

Toshiba DT024TB 3.5-inch

Toshiba DT02-V6TB 3.5-inch

Toshiba DT02-V4TB 3.5-inch

Toshiba L2002TB 2.5-inch

Toshiba L2001TB 2.5-inch

Toshiba MQ042TB 2.5-inch

Toshiba MQ041TB 2.5-inch

At the end there is no many hdd manufactures anymore, so you may have Seagate or WD/Hitachi drive rebadged from some companies. Also unless you plan RAID array do not use NAS drives, they rely on RAID controller ECC and can cause major issues

Even though I like your quick and informative answer , I had plenty of serious troubles with Toshiba.

All toshibas are noisy , hot (high temps)  and are just bad , both CMR and SMR (shingled). For example these 8TB awful drives.

This is not just a bad batch , I had the exact same drive from ANOTHER batch and it was terrible !!

Their customer service is non-existent and I sold it very cheap for parts. Read many people reporting awful quality.

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/bad-batch-of-toshiba-n300-8tb-256mb-cache-might-be-motherboard-failure.87605/

Just now, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

WD black 3.5" is good one without CMR

Yes, you're right , I'm gonna consider . Do you know it's not a WD drive ? 

WD6002FZWX looks like a Hitachi HDD. (guessing hot , noisy and humming again)

https://oxnetni.com/western-digital-wd6002fzwx-6000gb-interne-festplatte/

Edited by D.Draker
pic

37 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

... or had a time machine.

No,it won't work anyway, my time machine works quite fine :yes: but of course you cannot take anything ferromagnetic with you :ph34r:  due to the nature of the fields used whenever proto-tunnelling warps are involved ;).

Maybe, in the future the approach may become useful to source good ol' SSD's ... :whistle:

jaclaz

• 1 year later...

What could have caused the power-on hours on both my ST2000VX000 and ST2000VN000 to either reset or roll over? They now show 1855 and 322 hours respectively. Since the values are not equal, it seems that the counters have overflowed. Could they really be limited to 16 bits? The worst percentage of the life reads 11, and current as 98/100, meaning the disks are almost new. I haven't made any low level tweaks to any HDD in the system. I don't think erasing SMART is even possible with normal software.

09 _98 _11 __0 00000000073F Power-On Hours

09 100 _11 __0 000000000142 Power-On Hours

In the mean time, ST3320620AS have worked for 129,102 and 127,032 hours.

8 hours ago, j7n said:

What could have caused the power-on hours on both my ST2000VX000 and ST2000VN000 to either reset or roll over? They now show 1855 and 322 hours respectively. Since the values are not equal, it seems that the counters have overflowed. Could they really be limited to 16 bits? The worst percentage of the life reads 11, and current as 98/100, meaning the disks are almost new. I haven't made any low level tweaks to any HDD in the system. I don't think erasing SMART is even possible with normal software.

09 _98 _11 __0 00000000073F Power-On Hours

09 100 _11 __0 000000000142 Power-On Hours

In the mean time, ST3320620AS have worked for 129,102 and 127,032 hours.

How is it possible that thing's still alive ?!