CPU Heat

WildKat

Ive recently upgraded my motherboard but kept my original CPU. It heats up a lot more than it used to (same heatsink/fan). It used to run at 55'c average but now runs at 70'c average. Is this safe and will it ruin the CPU? Im thinking it could be the low amount of thermal paste but am not sure.

CPU is P4 3.06ghz

Thanks

ye i think it's very high and I think 80C and higher can melt you cpu in liguid

here are some useful thinks to do/check:

-check if the thermal sensor is properly attached to CPU

-apply arctic silver 5 solution instead of silicon and chip thermal pastes

-get yourself a bigger heatsink and cooler (like www.thermaltake.com)

Im thinking it could be the low amount of thermal paste but am not sure.

>>U never need to put big amount of thermal compounds just make sure u cover it with a thin layer all over the die surface.

1 open the heatsink carefully (never apply pressure on cpu die)

2 clean the die carefully with alcohol without leaving any old thermal material and clean the heatsing with a nail polisher followed by alcohol

3 after cleaning part, apply a thin layer of thermal compound (never mix 2 compunds together) all over the cpu die surface (can be done with a pen)

4 install carefully the heatsink (be careful to do not crack the die and do not apply presuure)

5 u r done!

btw check the FSB frquency, it could be that u've put it higher than it's suppose to be unlesss u r not overclocking :)

**** i should apply this as well

my amd heats up too much!

never ever seen a intel processor at 70C.

usually they're like 36C. my amd athlon xp 2500+ runs at 45C, in summer about 60C. my box gets sun from all around it :) (i should get solar panels :rolleyes: )

from which brand/model mb did u switch from & to ?

It used to run at 55'c average but now runs at 70'c average.

Well even 55c average is high - I'd suggest you get a better cooler and follow the information people above have posted. I have a P4 3.0CGHz /w HT and cool it with a ThermalRight SP94 CPU Cooler averaging about 34c...

I changed from an old Gigabyte to a new Gigabyte motherboard. I think I do need a new heatsink/fan, when playing UT2004 I get the warning beeps because the CPU is going over 70'c. Nothing is overclocked apart from my Graphics Card.

The current heatsink/fan is a standard OEM looking aluminium heatsink with copper centre and coolermaster fan.

Can anyone recommend a standard size heatsink/fan that works well and isn't too loud. I was thinking of buying the OEM Sanyo solution that comes with the retail pack 3.4ghz P4. Price range upto £20.

edit: any free software that lets you monitor cpu temp / fan speeds?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I installed a new Thermaltake Spark 7, now my temps are 32c idle and 52c on load. Massive difference.

However, major problem with the noise, it sounds like a jet engine!! Any easy ways to sound deaden without restricting much airflow?

PC has been on for 2 hours and I have a headache! Plus it gets louder on load when the RPMs go up. :)

Got a bit of a problem, computer stopped booting and BIOS was really slow to react to keyboard presses. So I cleared the CMOS. Now it boots but I cant change anything at all in BIOS (which still runs slow) otherwise itll freeze just after memory test.

No idea how this problem occured, I flashed to latest BIOS months ago and have not had any issues until now. I tried the older version BIOS but no luck.

Help!!